• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Are there any supplements that REALLY prevent ageing?

ageingprevention supplements anti

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Sith

• 161 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:55 PM

Greetings.

Now there have been numerous studies that show most supplements taken for anti-ageing purposes to be ineffective or have no significant benefits in longevity. So I was wondering, are there any supplements that do have anti-ageing and longevity benefits? I would be pleased if there was since we're all here for the same thing- well most of us.   :-D

I currently take: 5000mg D3, Cod-liver oil, and 1700mg Metformin daily. 

Edited by Sith, 26 December 2015 - 07:55 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#2 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:11 PM

You need some K2 with all that (I guess you meant 5000 IU) D3.

Mg seems frequently deficient in our diets so it is another must-have in my books.

ECGC (green tea) and Gynostemma are two, I think, which are also solid additions.

That being said, they are aging retardants at best, not preventing aging.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:24 PM

Here are a number of things that don't work (in rodents)--

The data presented here suggest that the consumption of complex mixtures of dietary supplements do not provide the same lifespan and health benefits as their whole food sources. Extracted or isolated botanical components or chemicals with antioxidant or anti-inflammatory properties did not increase the longevity of the mice in this study. The results are not likely related to the dosages used. We tested multiple commercial compilations at the mouse equivalent of the human dosages recommended, two published supplement combinations at the dosages reported to have longevity or cognitive benefits in rodents, and a highly complex, high dosage supplement combination. These combinations either had no effect or a negative effect on lifespan. Together our results are not consistent with the view that the consumption of complex mixtures of extracts and isolated components of whole foods is effective at extending lifespan. These results are instead consistent with a large body of epidemiological evidence indicating that the consumption of dietary supplements is associated either with no effect or an increase in morbidity and mortality.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4039264/

And one that does--

Fullerene C60 Increases Lifespan by +90% 

http://suppversity.b...lerene-c60.html

You can find many threads on C60 here.

#4 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

Mg seems frequently deficient in our diets so it is another must-have in my books.

ECGC (green tea) and Gynostemma are two, I think, which are also solid additions.

Thank you for your reply, it has been helpful. I will just ask, Do I have to take vitamin K2 in pill form alongside the Vitamin D3? I do have plenty of K2 in my diet but tend to start the day with it in my smoothie from food sources. Do you think having plentiful vitamin K2 in my diet will be enough?  :wacko:

Here are a number of things that don't work (in rodents)--

The data presented here suggest that the consumption of complex mixtures of dietary supplements do not provide the same lifespan and health benefits as their whole food sources. Extracted or isolated botanical components or chemicals with antioxidant or anti-inflammatory properties did not increase the longevity of the mice in this study. The results are not likely related to the dosages used. We tested multiple commercial compilations at the mouse equivalent of the human dosages recommended, two published supplement combinations at the dosages reported to have longevity or cognitive benefits in rodents, and a highly complex, high dosage supplement combination. These combinations either had no effect or a negative effect on lifespan. Together our results are not consistent with the view that the consumption of complex mixtures of extracts and isolated components of whole foods is effective at extending lifespan. These results are instead consistent with a large body of epidemiological evidence indicating that the consumption of dietary supplements is associated either with no effect or an increase in morbidity and mortality.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4039264/

And one that does--

Fullerene C60 Increases Lifespan by +90% 

http://suppversity.b...lerene-c60.html

You can find many threads on C60 here.

Thank you so much! It's like I have hit the goal mine with this information. Thanks!  :laugh:

#5 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

Thank you for your reply, it has been helpful. I will just ask, Do I have to take vitamin K2 in pill form alongside the Vitamin D3? I do have plenty of K2 in my diet but tend to start the day with it in my smoothie from food sources. Do you think having plentiful vitamin K2 in my diet will be enough?  :wacko:

Most K2 (except natto) are primarily animal sources which come with heavy amounts of cholesterol (cheeses, egg yolk) or iron (liver)  or methionine/growth factors (dairy) so to get a decent K2 amount from diet alone you may overload into not-so-desirable substances. My understanding is that natto is not exactly the most appetizing meal so, if you want to remain prudent with animal products intake, a K2 supplementation may be desirable.

And yes, I take my D3 concomitantly with K2.

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

The answer is no. There are no current supplements that "PREVENT" aging. The evidence that some supplements slow down aging a little bit is not all that solid either. 

We need to fund more research into rejuvenation therapies before we have anything close to "preventing" aging or "turning back the clock".

• Good Point x 2

#7 YOLF

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:01 AM

Beta Alanine, Acetyl Carnosine, Chondroitin, Ester-C, tocotrienols, P5P, ALCAR w/ ALA, Blueberry Extracts, Olive Leaf Extracts, bioflavanoids.... cycling p53 inhibitors with cycloastragenol/TA65. 

Vaccines should also help. I read that more vaccines correlated to longer lifespans. Having fewer cells infected by viruses means fewer cells changed by them and I assume that changes to cells from viruses contribute to aging. Viruses evolve the fastest, so we are least well adapted to surviving along side them. They are probably some of our biggest external threats. Get every vaccine you can!

Then there's getting mesenchymal stem cells, they can be taken from adipose tissues, grown outside the body and given to you several times a year. You can even have some frozen for future use.

None of these are specifically linked to a life extension study that I'm aware of, but they are probably our best bets for alot of reasons. Too many to explain them all. Just my best guess.

• Needs references x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#8 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:55 AM

Asprin, NMN or Nicitinomide Riboside, GDF11, Rapamycin, C60 in olive oil, Dasatinib and Metformin which is already on your list. That should get you started/bankrupt :).
  • Cheerful x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#9 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

Asprin, NMN or Nicitinomide Riboside, GDF11, Rapamycin, C60 in olive oil, Dasatinib and Metformin which is already on your list. That should get you started/bankrupt :).

Correction - Dasatinib+ Quercetin :)

• Agree x 1

#10 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:18 AM

Not a supplement, but

non-platelet RNA-containing particles from young blood.  http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23611023

These may be responsible for heterochronic parabiosis rejuvenation.

If I were a billionaire, I'd go after this with all the resources I could command.

Edited by RWhigham, 31 December 2015 - 12:20 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • dislike x 1

#11 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:48 AM

I have no idea if c60 in the doses I took it prevents aging but it sure is good for your skin.   Small wrinkles disappear and your skin becomes noticeably softer.

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#12 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

I have no idea if c60 in the doses I took it prevents aging but it sure is good for your skin.   Small wrinkles disappear and your skin becomes noticeably softer.

About 1/3 of users report this on the C60 poll, and I'm surprised as I thought it would be more. This may be because only 1/3 are over 50, and that is where you would most easily see a difference. In fact, 50%of that group reported more youthful skin, 20% said they did not, and the rest didn't know.

• Informative x 3

#13 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

AGEs (Advanced Glycation Endproducts) = NF-kb upregulation = Telomerase downregulation = Short telomeres = Epigenetic changes to a more aged phenotype...!

AGE blockers/breakers: (from birth!   :) )

Chebulic Acid

ALT-711

Liposomal Luteolin

other?

Senolytics:

Dasitinib

Quercitan

Navitoclax/ABT-263

NF-kB inhibitors:

Astragalus

Purslane

Gingko Biloba (EGB-761)

Other NF-kB inhibitors.  But the root cause is AGEs etc, so NF-kB inhibitors are just a plaster...

• Informative x 2

#14 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:32 PM

I do something utterly crazy. I buy Ginkgo Biloba leaf powder, mulch it into a warm mush with warm water, rub it all over my face, step into a hot shower. After I get out, my skin feels and looks FREAKING AMAZING. For sure it prevents at least one of the signs of aging.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Informative x 2

#15 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

I do something utterly crazy. I buy Ginkgo Biloba leaf powder, mulch it into a warm mush with warm water, rub it all over my face, step into a hot shower. After I get out, my skin feels and looks FREAKING AMAZING. For sure it prevents at least one of the signs of aging.

Can we possibly get a link to which supplier you buy your Ginkgo Biloba leaf powder from?  :-D

• Good Point x 1

#16 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:25 PM

How long have you kept the paste on your face prior to showering?

You need to consider the exfoliant effect you triggered by rubbing something on your face.

#17 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:26 PM

AGEs (Advanced Glycation Endproducts) = NF-kb upregulation = Telomerase downregulation = Short telomeres = Epigenetic changes to a more aged phenotype...!

Chebulic Acid

ALT-711

Liposomal Luteolin

other?

Senolytics:

Dasitinib

Quercitan

Navitoclax/ABT-263

NF-kB inhibitors:

Astragalus

Purslane

Gingko Biloba (EGB-761)

Other NF-kB inhibitors.  But the root cause is AGEs etc, so NF-kB inhibitors are just a plaster...

Thank you for this list!  :laugh:

I was wondering if you happen to know the best AGE blocker. I am unsure which one to integrate into my regimen. I have heard many are non-specific and have a very limited effect. How true is this?

Thanks for the help again. 

#18 zen

• 139 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

How about J147 from Salk Institute?

• Agree x 1

#19 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:19 PM

Chebulic Acid

ALT-711

Liposomal Luteolin

other?

Senolytics:

Dasitinib

Quercitan

Navitoclax/ABT-263

NF-kB inhibitors:

Astragalus

Purslane

Gingko Biloba (EGB-761)

I was wondering if you happen to know the best AGE blocker. I am unsure which one to integrate into my regimen. I have heard many are non-specific and have a very limited effect. How true is this?

I was hoping to start a lively debate on whether it IS AGE accumulation and its downregulation of NF-kB that is the main cause of aging.  Oh well...    :)

As for the best age blocker; you will have to do a bit of reading:
http://www.longecity...aminoguanidine/

I think

• Luteolin
  • processed Fo-ti or He shou wu (for the 2, 3, 5, 4'-tetrahydroxystilbene)
  • Carnosine or Beta Alanine..?
  • Chebulic acid (from Haritaki)
  • Mesima mushroom (phellinus linteus)
  • Bentafontamine (as you need vit B1 anyway)
  • Alt-711

are the most promising/interesting.

Then the subject of chelation therapy needs to be looked at closely IMHO.

Edited by Logic, 01 January 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#20 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

Chebulic Acid

ALT-711

Liposomal Luteolin

other?

Senolytics:

Dasitinib

Quercitan

Navitoclax/ABT-263

NF-kB inhibitors:

Astragalus

Purslane

Gingko Biloba (EGB-761)

I was hoping to start a lively debate on whether it IS AGE accumulation and its downregulation of NF-kB that is the main cause of aging.  Oh well...    :)

As for the best age blocker; you will have to do a bit of reading:
http://www.longecity...aminoguanidine/

I think

• Luteolin
  • processed Fo-ti or He shou wu (for the 2, 3, 5, 4'-tetrahydroxystilbene)
  • Alt-711

are the most promising/interesting.

Then the subject of chelation therapy needs to be looked at closely IMHO.

Thank you so much! This information is so good, I am lazy and I guess I will do a bit of reading into each of them.  :-D

Which ones do you use?  :)

#21 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

I was hoping to start a lively debate on whether it IS AGE accumulation and its downregulation of NF-kB that is the main cause of aging. Oh well... :)

Hello logic,

I think that is worth a separate thread for discussion. Here a starting point:

"Transcriptional activity of NF-κB is increased in a variety of tissues with aging and is associated with numerous age-related degenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s, diabetes and osteoporosis. In mouse models, inhibition of NF-κB leads to delayed onset of age-related symptoms and pathologies"
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3295063/
  • Informative x 2

#22 boxingroo

• 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:49 AM

Antioxidants, antioxidants and once again antioxidants. Any - or all of them as they do protect us from the speedy oxidation of our bodies. That way we can protect our levels of mitochondria, slow down the shortening of the telomeres and thus protect our DNA from the misinformation followed by the ageing given to us by "Mother Nature". The daily use of C-60 is still a little unknown, as is the use of T-65 [cycloastragenol is cheaper] or the stilbenoid in Resveratrol. I also recommend good short burst of strength exercise {no hours of cardio, as it actually  wear and tear your body down}.

• Ill informed x 4
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1

#23 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

Hello logic,

I think that is worth a separate thread for discussion. Here a starting point:

"Transcriptional activity of NF-κB is increased in a variety of tissues with aging and is associated with numerous age-related degenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s, diabetes and osteoporosis. In mouse models, inhibition of NF-κB leads to delayed onset of age-related symptoms and pathologies"
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3295063/

It certainly is Stefan-001 and I have every intention of doing so once I have done some research to see if anything else besides AGEs increases 'the bad' NF-kB.
ALEs perhaps?

Perhaps I should post it as a question and see, but I'm sure that AGE etc certainly play a big part in aging and an anti AGE and AGE breaker stack is of paramount importance IMHO

This will get you started and explain the 'good and bad' NF-kBs:
http://www.longecity...lthy-longevity/

It's where the 'the penny dropped' for me.  :)

• Informative x 1

#24 Aurel

• 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:24 PM

Perhaps I should post it as a question and see, but I'm sure that AGE etc certainly play a big part in aging and an anti AGE and AGE breaker stack is of paramount importance IMHO

How would such a stack look like?

#25 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:18 PM

Can we possibly get a link to which supplier you buy your Ginkgo Biloba leaf powder from?  :-D

Indigo Herbs Of Glastonbury.

It's not the exfoliant effect: I get a similar effect from massaging my face with Ginkgo Biloba mixed in water.

• Informative x 1

#26 message

• 72 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:23 PM

A safe, not too expensive stack to inhibiting AGE can be:

Green Tea Extract
L-Carnosine
Alpha Lipoic Acid

I currently do not take any of these, but am looking to start.  Can anyone comment on the optimal dosing for each?

#27 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

Is it worth constructing a stack from a multi-factoral perspective, for example, supplements to tackle the many different causes of ageing? Or is it best to focus on the most prominent with full force?  :)

#28 BieraK

• 274 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

Here you have been given good recommendations. 
Another good approach for slow aging and for the regeneration of some tissue, included skin regeneration, is Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber (HBOT), you can buy one Hyperbaric Chamber for home use in United States, on Ebay there are several models.

I hope that in the future I could buy one :)

Mitochondrial antioxidants are other good approach for slow aging and enhance healthspan, MitoQ, C60 or MB. Personally, I like methylene blue, enhances oxygen consumption, upregulates Nrf2 genes, upregulates complex IV, activates Sirt1, AMPK and produces mitochondrial biogenesis. PQQ is another good ally, sinergizes very well with MB.
My basic stack for now is c60 and MB.

Edited by BieraK, 03 January 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#29 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

Perhaps I should post it as a question and see, but I'm sure that AGE etc certainly play a big part in aging and an anti AGE and AGE breaker stack is of paramount importance IMHO

How would such a stack look like?

A very good question!  :)
I am working on it/a post.
See my posts and links above on:

• Luteolin
  • processed Fo-ti or He shou wu (for the 2, 3, 5, 4'-tetrahydroxystilbene)
  • Alt-711

At this point I cannot spoon-feed you/anyone a stack, but would appreciate a help with research! :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

A safe, not too expensive stack to inhibiting AGE can be:

Green Tea Extract
L-Carnosine
Alpha Lipoic Acid

I currently do not take any of these, but am looking to start.  Can anyone comment on the optimal dosing for each?

Alpha-Lipoic Acid:

Is a mild chelator with a short half life that gets past the BBB.
ie:  It will get into your brain and chelate some heavy metals like mercury, lead etc, but due to it being weak and having a short half-life; it will 'drop the ball' and the now relocated metal will then be free to do more damage elsewhere all over again...!?

People taking this for chelation purposes take it every 2 hrs, day and night, for extended periods and combine it with other chelators to 'pick up the dropped ball' from ALA.
Do look into this and consider the mild chelator, Garlic, at the very minimum, as something to take with ALA.
Note that D-Limonene kills the Garlic (and DMSO) smell ;)

Another interesting and important consideration is that ALA looks like it locks in the epigenetic changes caused by calorie restriction, or not...
ie:  If you are CRing and fasting, ALA will lock in those positive epigenetic changes even if you then go on to a high calorie  diet, and visa versa...!?
Do look that up as it is a very important consideration IMHO.

• Needs references x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ageingprevention, supplements, anti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users