Alternatives to stimulants? Slow brain, slow thought

ritalin stimulants brain fog

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

I have very low hormones levels including T, thyroid, estrogen, cortisol. Anhedonic joyless unmotivated type of depression. Very non-social. Lot of brain fog, inability to have free flowing thought, usually no imagination, generally feel I am in a stupor.

Ritalin, Vyvanse and modafinil (to lesser extent) allow me to usually have more thoughts and generally process information at a greater pace. Aside from that there are some subtle anti-anhedonic effects from ritalin and vyvanse. The boost to cognitive functioning though it was is really notable. Aside from the peripheral effects which sometimes make me feel like I'm an impaired state. I tend to generally have issues with poor peripheral circulation in my CFS and orthostatic intolerance.  I usually think best when I am laying down on ritalin/vyvanse but not sure what I can do about that.

I see my doctor on Jan 4th and I want to know what alternatives there may be for me to replace ritalin/vyvanse?  They tend to make me less resistant to stress at various times and the benefits often build up much tolerance. Plus the dependance type effect where it feels so difficult to function without them. 

I've tried wellbutrin before and it made me feel dumber if anything.  Risperdal is one I am looking into for depression + ability to feel some pleasure.

#2 PalmAnita

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

Sounds like you might be low in glutamatergic, and/or cholinergic excitation. Wellbutrin does lower glutamate release and it's a nicotinic antagonist too.

Depends on what you've tried already but maybe the racetams (good old piracetam having some effects on mitochondria too if I'm correct) or the AMPAkines like unifiram might be worth a try.

Edited by dopamimetiq, 03 January 2016 - 10:25 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 AlexCanada

• Topic Starter
  • 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:12 AM

Sounds like you might be low in glutamatergic, and/or cholinergic excitation. Wellbutrin does lower glutamate release and it's a nicotinic antagonist too.

Depends on what you've tried already but maybe the racetams (good old piracetam having some effects on mitochondria too if I'm correct) or the AMPAkines like unifiram might be worth a try.

some of the effects i experienced from oxiracetam and others helped me engage in tv shows a bit more for sure but various side effects prevented me from sticking through it.  i cannot recall at this time what they were though. slowing down of time I think was one of them but might have been related to CDP choline. darker mood may have been another. sorry my working memory is constantly poor.

ill read about unifiram.  any other options for the gluta system? any pharma options? 

#4 MichaelTheAnhedonic

• 179 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

Well, I have identical problem as you. Identical. And still no answers. Only psychostimulants had any effect on my issues. The interesting thing is that after hangover I can think more clean and faster, I'm less anhedonic. Huh.

• Agree x 1

#5 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:26 PM

I have very low hormones levels including T, thyroid, estrogen, cortisol. Anhedonic joyless unmotivated type of depression. Very non-social. Lot of brain fog, inability to have free flowing thought, usually no imagination, generally feel I am in a stupor.

Are you taking any medications besides the stimulants you mentioned?  I've seen you post about gabapentin before and other drugs which, if you were to use them long term, could contribute to these symptoms.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 03 January 2016 - 06:27 PM.

#6 AlexCanada

• Topic Starter
  • 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:25 AM

Are you taking any medications besides the stimulants you mentioned?  I've seen you post about gabapentin before and other drugs which, if you were to use them long term, could contribute to these symptoms.

0.5mg valium which i am withdrawling slowly from. 1 year ago i was at 1.7mg.  also been taking 100-200mg gabapentin but I been withdrawling from it. None taken today. Vyvanse 3mg a day for some energy boost but might stop. Effexor micro dosing past 5 days (not related) but it dulls me out like hell so I may switch back to Cymbalta micro dosing after tomorrow.

Also misc supplements.

The aniracetam helps a bit with thought but peripherally i still feel very impaired. Aniracetam helping me post these messages partly. 

#7 Doc Psychoillogical

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:25 AM

I too have had these same problems. Catuaba is a great Supplement in all aspects for me personally. ANYWAYS

Here's what's currently helped me:

Fish oil and More/Proper food consumption to really help. The Amphetamines need a fuel to burn!

As well as maintaining Blood sugar levels too, gotta feed the brain and Nervous system something.

Lastly, support your Hydration/Electrolytes to keep your overall body from overheating, muscle tension and drying up(dehydration) also gives h2o to AMP which it needs for absorption, a water soluble chemical...

Edited by Mr. Psychillogical, 12 January 2016 - 06:30 AM.

• like x 1

#8 AlexCanada

• Topic Starter
  • 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:52 AM

I too have had these same problems. Catuaba is a great Supplement in all aspects for me personally. ANYWAYS

Here's what's currently helped me:

Fish oil and More/Proper food consumption to really help. The Amphetamines need a fuel to burn!

As well as maintaining Blood sugar levels too, gotta feed the brain and Nervous system something.

Lastly, support your Hydration/Electrolytes to keep your overall body from overheating, muscle tension and drying up(dehydration) also gives h2o to AMP which it needs for absorption, a water soluble chemical...

Omega sometimes helps. Especially when stims are in the picture! I was able to be engaged in a tv show some weeks back with Omega EPA and ritalin and clomid (testosterone booster) in the picture.  Sometimes it makes me sleepy initially and longer I take it the more I generate carotid artery pains. Lot of supplements especially ones of the blood thinning nature cause pains in my carotid arteries in my neck. The drop ins blood sugar is not welcome either. 

Yesterday morning a few hours after Omega, and some Siberian Ginseng I started to feel more confident and slightly more capable of productivity. Had bit more positive thoughts.   

Also I been trying Raw Pituitary Glandular from Swanson and a little bit of Sea-Iodine.  Minor Vyvanse from time to time.

Unfortunately there is dense fog most of the time still and difficult to function properly. 

I have Catuaba and may try again sometime.    

I am considering going back on Cymbalta but I hate the start up anxiety. Maybe I will get my doc to give me script for Lexapro or Zoloft instead.    Lowish doses of Lex or Cymb + stimulant had me more functional various times over the years so I may just really need that those SSRIs provide.   Though I have had various periods where I been able to thrive without SSRIs to the point where I'd swear off them for good.  There just often feels like there is so much negativity and dreadful existence without them. 

Activate Vitamin drink yesterday was slightly refreshing but these are horribly expensive. 

Beneath all this I feel I have some kind of Infection/Virus holding me back significantly because even the meds don't effect me as much as before.  These past 3 months havebeen hellish in terms of fog and looking horribly unhealthy in my face.

Edited by AlexCanada, 19 January 2016 - 04:53 AM.

#9 BobbyDick

• 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

oregano is SNDRI

#10 Doc Psychoillogical

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:10 AM

oregano is SNDRI

Carvacrol: from ancient flavoring to neuromodulatory agent.
Zotti M1, Colaianna M, Morgese MG, Tucci P, Schiavone S, Avato P, Trabace L.
Author information
Abstract
Oregano and thyme essential oils are used for therapeutic, aromatic and gastronomic purposes due to their richness in active substances, like carvacrol; however, the effects of the latter on the central nervous system have been poorly investigated. The aim of our study was to define the effects of carvacrol on brain neurochemistry and behavioural outcome in rats. Biogenic amine content in the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus after chronic or acute oral carvacrol administration was measured. Animals were assessed by a forced swimming test. Carvacrol, administered for seven consecutive days (12.5 mg/kg p.o.), was able to increase dopamine and serotonin levels in the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus. When single doses were used (150 and 450 mg/kg p.o.), dopamine content was increased in the prefrontal cortex at both dose levels. On the contrary, a significant dopamine reduction in hippocampus of animals treated with 450 mg/kg of carvacrol was found. Acute carvacrol administration only significantly reduced serotonin content in either the prefrontal cortex or in the hippocampus at the highest dose. Moreover, acute carvacrol was ineffective in producing changes in the forced swimming test. Our data suggest that carvacrol is a brain-active molecule that clearly influences neuronal activity through modulation of neurotransmitters. If regularly ingested in low concentrations, it might determine feelings of well-being and could possibly have positive reinforcer effects.
PMID: 23708230 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] 

#11 BobbyDick

• 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

So, how much it is similar to MPH in KI value to DAT and NET?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#12 Perilous3D

• 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat, Alex, so I can relate.

I've had good results with Omega 3-6-9 but it can sometimes be hit or miss. I'm not sure if it's to do with what I'm eating but the effectiveness varies quite a bit.

Another thing I have noticed that helps a lot is hydration! Drink tons of water. Not only will it give you more energy but it will also flush out your system, help regulate your blood pressure, help with digestion (which is linked to energy levels) among much more.

I also started on a heavy juice and leafy greens diet recently which is supposed to be good for energy/detox. Still too early to tell but it couldn't hurt right? I'll keep you posted.

Hope that helps. Good luck to you, my fellow Canadian! :)

Edited by Perilous3D, 20 January 2016 - 11:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ritalin, stimulants, brain fog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users