• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

CBD (Cannabidiol) Mechanism of Action

cbd cannabidiol pharmacology anxiolytic anxiogenic cannabis serotonin 5-ht 5-ht2a 5-ht1a

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BioInfinite

• 54 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:53 AM

CBD is among other things a 5-HT1a agonist; I want to know is if this is presynaptic - which reduces serotonin levels, or post-synaptic which increases serotonergic activity. Either way could be anxiolytic because serotonin can act on certain receptors such as 5-HT2A and 5-HT3 and cause an anxiogenic effect.

Would love some educated guesses or etc. I have a history with serotonin syndrome/toxicity so I should not have anything that increases serotonin activity, but someting with CBD's effects on anxiety or agitation would be amazing.

Thanks for any input :)

#2 BasicBiO

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:49 AM

My guess is presynaptic based on my use of CBD where I still had to periodically take 5HTP to avoid feeling low. CBD upregulates GABA activity(not sure how) and this can also impact serotonergic pathways.  

The anxiolytic properties are decent IMO but the anti inflammatory properties are great. 

I'd love to learn more about it, but I know there is much still being researched at the moment.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:59 AM

Some ppl report some introspective experience or something like that, so the binding affinitys we know off prob dont really explain it, except perhaps the partional cannabinoid activity in combination with the other receptors modulating it.

tbh i dont think anyone will be able to give a clear answer on this one,

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 BasicBiO

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

I agree. I've read a lot on CBD..outside of all the hippy marketing, and it's not very clear cut.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cbd, cannabidiol, pharmacology, anxiolytic, anxiogenic, cannabis, serotonin, 5-ht, 5-ht2a, 5-ht1a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users