• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Kratom: bad for intelligence/brain/neurotoxic?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MetaphasicSystems

• 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:52 AM

Because if it's not, I'm going to happily abuse it regularly.

#2 smccomas01

• 155 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:11 PM

if it is then I am doomed.

I have RA and I take it ever day been very helpful for me I do not need pain meds. Along with my other meds I have very few signs of inflammation. 

Someone I know who has Crohn's has been able to get off the biologics and manage everything with MM, Kratom Tumeric and Piperine (sp)?  

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Werper

• 190 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:14 PM

No , but there are studies out there showing it to be cardiotoxic :

1. PLoS One. 2014 Dec 23;9(12):e115648. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0115648. eCollection 2014.

Evaluation of the cardiotoxicity of mitragynine and its analogues using human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes.

Lu J(1), Wei H(2), Wu J(1), Jamil MF(3), Tan ML(4), Adenan MI(5), Wong P(2), Shim W(2).

Author information: (1)National Heart Research Institute Singapore, National Heart Centre Singapore, Singapore, Republic of Singapore. (2)National Heart Research Institute Singapore, National Heart Centre Singapore, Singapore, Republic of Singapore; Cardiovascular & Metabolic Disorders [...]

INTRODUCTION: Mitragynine is a major bioactive compound of Kratom, which is derived from the leave extracts of Mitragyna speciosa Korth or Mitragyna speciosa (M. speciosa), a medicinal plant from South East Asia used legally in many countries as stimulant with opioid-like effects for the treatment of chronic pain and opioid-withdrawal symptoms. Fatal incidents with Mitragynine have been associated with cardiac arrest. In this study, we determined the cardiotoxicity of Mitragynine and other chemical constituents isolated using human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes (hiPSC-CMs). METHODS AND RESULTS: The rapid delayed rectifier potassium current (IKr), L-type Ca2+ current (ICa,L) and action potential duration (APD) were measured by whole cell patch-clamp. The expression of KCNH2 and cytotoxicity was determined by real-time PCR and Caspase activity measurements. After significant IKr suppression by Mitragynine (10 µM) was confirmed in hERG-HEK cells, we systematically examined the effects of Mitragynine and other chemical constituents in hiPSC-CMs. Mitragynine, Paynantheine, Speciogynine and Speciociliatine, dosage-dependently (0.1∼100 µM) suppressed IKr in hiPSC-CMs by 67%∼84% with IC50 ranged from 0.91 to 2.47 µM. Moreover, Mitragynine (10 µM) significantly prolonged APD at 50 and 90% repolarization (APD50 and APD90) (439.0±11.6 vs. 585.2±45.5 ms and 536.0±22.6 vs. 705.9±46.1 ms, respectively) and induced arrhythmia, without altering the L-type Ca2+ current. Neither the expression, and intracellular distribution of KCNH2/Kv11.1, nor the Caspase 3 activity were significantly affected by Mitragynine. CONCLUSIONS: Our study indicates that Mitragynine and its analogues may potentiate Torsade de Pointes through inhibition of IKr in human cardiomyocytes.

PMCID: PMC4275233 PMID: 25535742 [PubMed - in process]

#4 smccomas01

• 155 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:34 PM

The fatal incidents they mention were not a result of the Kratom. What they used was a mixture of Kratom and O-desmethylTramadol atleast that is what the autopsy found.

As far as causing heart arrythmia I had never seen that going to have to look into it further thanks.   

#5 MetaphasicSystems

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

So it's not like other opiates? Because hydrocodeine and oxycodone will impact your brain/cognitively impair you.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 smccomas01

• 155 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:01 PM

If anything I have noticed when taking bali that I am mentally more energized and focused.

I know it has been compared to opiates however it is not an opiate. I have taken multiple drug screens while taking Kratom and I have not had a positive result for any substances.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users