Magnesium citrate

magnesium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blackshugar

• 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

I was looking for the bioavailability of magnesium citrate and found this -

"Some reports indicate magnesium citrate is highly bioavailable, but it’s also known this form does
not stay in tissues for long. It’s used in the citric acid cycle or Kreb’s cycle and is typically shunted
out of the body quickly. It also has the laxation effect."

What is this supposed to mean? I thought bioavailability was the only factor I need to concern myself with while choosing my supplements. But then you come up with something like this, telling me that I could absorb a good amount of my supplement but it could still be useless without proper assimilation. So, I don't know what to do anymore.

On a more important note, is it even true that magnesium citrate doesn't assimilate properly? I am not a pro at chemistry but doesn't the magnesium ion separate from the citrate after absorption, leaving magnesium to do its own thing regardless of whatever citrate does or am I just plain wrong here. Help me out please.

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

The main concern with magnesium citrate in my view is the laxative effect.

Magnesium in any form doesn't have the best bioavailability but it is not a major issue since it is cheap and a greater dosage will counteract the poor bioavailability, problem is when it is impossible to ingest a greater dosage because of the STRONG laxative effect obviously not sustainable as an everyday practice.

I prefer magnesium bisglycinate because the good bioavailability and very low if any laxative effect which allows for greater dosages (typically 500mg while the same dosage of magnesium citrate is unlikely to be feasible by most).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 blackshugar

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:56 AM

The main concern with magnesium citrate in my view is the laxative effect.

Magnesium in any form doesn't have the best bioavailability but it is not a major issue since it is cheap and a greater dosage will counteract the poor bioavailability, problem is when it is impossible to ingest a greater dosage because of the STRONG laxative effect obviously not sustainable as an everyday practice.

I prefer magnesium bisglycinate because the good bioavailability and very low if any laxative effect which allows for greater dosages (typically 500mg while the same dosage of magnesium citrate is unlikely to be feasible by most).

Interesting point. But I am currently more concerned about the whole assimilation part. I want to know what your thoughts are on it. 

Edited by blackshugar, 07 January 2016 - 09:59 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users