- - - - -

Thinking about trying Modafinil - Feel really desperate

modafinil provigil adhd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chris87

• 35 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

I have been thinking about trying Modafinil. I have no motivation, can't focus, have poor concentration, and am failing at life. I've been unable to accomplish anything and am so disappointed in myself. You would think that my failures would make me more ambitious, but they don't. Instead, I do nothing and watch myself further deteriorate. I've always been so afraid of ordering medication online, but I'm reconsidering that concern. I've been to multiple psychiatrists in the past, and I just don't feel like going back to one. I can't afford to waste thousand of dollars again, and I'm too tired to go through the whole narrative of my life. Is this a really bad decision? I don't want to do anything that would be reckless or that could put my health in danger. I'm a little worried about the possibility of SJS, but my understanding is that it's a rare side effect. 

#2 Ellsworth

• 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

I'm currently severely depressed (have been for 7 months). I just tried modafinil for the first time today and it was a disaster. a short burst of intense anxiety followed by a 10 hour headache, felt out of it and detached and nauseous. That's not to say it won't work for you, however, it very well could. I am starting to think that nootropics just won't work on a depressed brain. They only seem to work on a 'normally functioning brain' at least that's been my inclination so far. I think for those with depression we should keep trying to find something that works, so by all means give it a shot. You got nothing to lose but another bad day, I suppose. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 James Phillip Turpin

• 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:13 AM

I would suggest tackling from the other end, take melatonin at night to get better sleep. Modafinil doesn't replace sleep, it just promotes wakefulness. Melatonin doesn't have the problems with legal technicalities either, and I believe there is more science supporting it for depression with fewer side effects.
Of course you could do both, but I would prioritize melatonin over modafinil.
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:17 AM

I find mod acts as an anti-depressant for me. YMMV as noted above.

#5 TheLovedOne

• 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

I have severe treatment resistant depression and modafinil worked for me. I was only using it two days a week as I didn't want to develop tolerance, plus after two or three days it would give me an uncomfortable feeling in my chest. I eventually had to discontinue it as that side effect got worse over time and my blood pressure was sinking below normal levels. I don't see many complaining about that side effect though so I would give it a try it if I were you. Even if you don't use it daily it's really helpful to get you out of a tight spot as in if your depression is really bad but you have something on that would be otherwise incredibly difficult to deal with. Sleeping was not a problem for me as I was using melatonin.

Edited by TheLovedOne, 31 January 2016 - 10:41 PM.

#6 ILIkeBeer

• 135 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:52 AM

I have a script for modafinil... last time I took it was about 3 months ago... I took a little more then what was recommended and it made me absolutely euphoric... It was a blast.  That being said I have not taken it since because I figure anything that can do that much good can also have a downside... perhaps I am just negative but it did have a strong effect on me.  It also did increase anxiety a bit if I remember.. but you know it will only work when you take it so unless you plan and gobbling modafinil all the time it may not be the best solution.  Or perhaps you can find a good medium that works for you.

#7 Sleepdealer

• 144 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:01 AM

Hi Chris. Could you tell us a bit more of what you have already tried with those psychiatrists?

#8 chris87

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:05 AM

Hi Chris. Could you tell us a bit more of what you have already tried with those psychiatrists?

With my last psychiatrist, I tried various ADHD medications. I've taken Concerta, Vyvanse, Dexedrine, and Strattera. I don't like taking stimulants, but they are the only medications that improve my symptoms. I would estimate that they provide 60-70% improvement. I am able to concentrate, maintain focus, and have structure in my life. They also significantly reduce my social anxiety and seem to make me less anxious/fearful. Strattera was ineffective, and I didn't like the way that it made me feel. He also wanted me to take an SSRI, but I decided against it. I tried Lexapro and Zoloft in the past, and it made my executive function worse. I've been taking SAM-E and L-Tyrosine, but I don't even think they do anything. I'm so angry with myself, because I can't accomplish my goals. I procrastinate excessively and have very poor follow through. Everything is exhausting, and anything that requires thought is too overwhelming/challenging. Just writing this post is extremely difficult. I don't know what is wrong with me and why my brain can't function properly.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#9 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

I have a script for Modafinil and have been taking it intermittently for years due to sleep apnea and idiopathic Narcolepsy.

It is NO replacement for sleep and works best taken no more than two days at at time, IMO.

It can be a valuable short term tool to get you through a project, or day when you are severely sleep deprived, but it is certainly no sleep panacea.

I believe it can be of value for treatment resistant depression when combined with other medications, but I can't see it doing much for depression alone, in the long term.

Good luck, and I wish you the best.  Keep searching for something that works for you.  If I were you, I'd do some reading and research on NSi-189.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modafinil, provigil, adhd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users