• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

nootropics to avoid if you have HPA dysfunction?

nootropics hpa axis

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Omega 3 Snake Oil

• 257 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:14 AM

I have Lyme disease with insomnia for over three years. Have been on selegiline the entire time, was prescribed it for muscle twitching the neurologist thought was linked to my insomnia. Have also used modafinil, bee venom from live bees (combats the Lyme), ALCAR, l-theanine, L-tyrosine, yerba mate. I've had bad reactions to magnesium which makes me think there's something wrong with my adrenals (neon green urine, weak/racing heart beat, exhaustion/confusion).

I think my Lyme disease causes HPA axis dysfunction, which is the source of my insomnia. I also take melatonin 20 mg (I know it's a lot but I need it) and zopiclone 3.75 mg. Have tried probably every sleep supplement there is.

Question: I recently heard selegiline can affect HPA function. I'm now trying to taper off of it ASAP. Is there anything else to avoid, not necessarily what I'm on now, but for future reference?

#2 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

Like this guy says, I wouldn't worry too much over the selegiline. Take, some months off, and if you want you can restart it again at 1.25mg, no worries. I personally don't even take it each day, but take it with some caffeinated soft drink (or coffee) when I need the boost (confidence/motivation/sociability).

Melatonin, I'm no fan of. It's essentially supplementing with a hormone, too. If you're worrying over hormonal imbalance, I'd taper down or replace it with something else.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users