Epigenetic Tags and Reproduction?

epigenetics reproduction gene

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Cornes

• 31 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:25 PM

Hello all,

Not an informative post, just a question.

When we reproduce the epigenetic tags get mostly scrubbed away, is that correct? If it is, how does this happen?

http://learn.genetic...cs/inheritance/

Basically im looking to see if there is a gene which resets epigenetics, or if it's just that the reproductive organs have less epigenetic tags and a baby mostly gets their epigenetic tags whilst in the womb.

Thanks!

Edited by Greg Cornes, 05 February 2016 - 11:31 PM.

#2 Liaxo

• 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:36 PM

What exactly do you mean by epigenetic tags? 

I don't think the tags can get scrubbed away because are they not what regulates the gene expression? If the tags were reset when a child is born, then there would be no observable epigenetic effects to begin with. The point of epigenetics changes/configuration being passed onto an offspring is so that offspring can maintain roughly the same gene expression as its parents. 

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Greg Cornes

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:33 AM

What exactly do you mean by epigenetic tags? 

I don't think the tags can get scrubbed away because are they not what regulates the gene expression? If the tags were reset when a child is born, then there would be no observable epigenetic effects to begin with. The point of epigenetics changes/configuration being passed onto an offspring is so that offspring can maintain roughly the same gene expression as its parents. 

Epigenetic means on top of the genome, tags would be things such as proteins. The tags are sort of reset when we reproduce, or at least not all of the tags are brought over.

Question was is that because the reproductive organ has fewer tags to begin with, or if there is another method which actually clears the slate ie just dna being copied over and then new tags are made whilst in the womb. (Thus the huge emphasis on Dont drink/smoke when pregnant)

I am looking into a few jak stat inhibitors right now such as ruxolitinib/tofacitinib, I am guessing they work on the same mechanics as the hedgehog pathway. Their association with the retinoblastoma protein is very interesting. Those two drugs have been shown to regrow hair in people with alopecia universalis when taken both topically/internally. 

"However, it is clear that without Rb, hair cells have the ability to proliferate, which is

why Rb is known as a tumor suppressor. Temporarily and precisely turning off Rb in adult mammals with damaged hair cells may lead to propagation and therefore successful regeneration. Suppressing function of the retinoblastoma protein in the adult rat cochlea has been found to cause proliferation of supporting cells and hair cells. Rb can be downregulated by activating the sonic hedgehog pathway, which phosphorylates the proteins and reduces gene transcription.[23]

This leads me to believe that it may be possible to reduce epigenetic tags by allowing further proliferation. Potential benefits of a one off dosage akin to quercetin.

Edited by Greg Cornes, 06 February 2016 - 01:40 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: epigenetics, reproduction, gene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users