* * * * * 1 votes

Droping core body temperature?

temperature supplement

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

Hello, so I'm wondering about things and supplements that drop the core body temp.

Ultimately this is related to metabolism and the like which I know is controversial on whats the best way to alter.

I just wanted to focus on the substances that can do this for now because as we know there's many out there that do the opposite ....even natural ones such as capsaicin etc(which cause you to burn off calories more and raise body temp)

However a quick search pulled up almost nothing regarding how to lower it...  drinking cold water and things like that (do lower) But the heat is still generated and is simply sapped away. Looking for something that actually slows the production

Feedback and ideas appreciated

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:03 PM

Less mitochondrial activity causes lower body temperature, are you sure to really want that ?

Maybe in theory it could extend life but I doubt you are going to enjoy the experience.

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 message

• 72 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:12 AM

You can go under general anesthesia. That drops body temp.

But why?

When patients come in with cardiac or neurological insults, some hospitals have hypothermic protocols in place. But these are for active insults. Not sure what an otherwise healthy individual would gain.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#4 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:20 AM

Iron is the "flam" in inflammation...  Anemic females (due to menstruation) are frequently chronically chilled (low body temp a known issue with anemia).  

IP6 (inositol hexaphosphate) sequesters free/labile iron, lowers (my) hemoglobin slightly but increases its oxygen transport efficiency.  

See attached pdf below...

I've found IP6 seems to damp down my "wattage" (and inflammation) ever so slightly without causing any of the more unpleasant symptoms of anemia.  The effect is immediate...  Take one cap in the morning on a very empty stomach with a full glass of water, and you should notice the difference.  It's actually rather pleasant.  Less irritability and restlessness.  Less "fire in the belly".  A cooler demeanor.  Less aggression and anger.  A better you!  

Hope this helps.  

Attached Files

Edited by synesthesia, 09 February 2016 - 07:06 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#5 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:40 AM

Both Glycine and Melatonin, taken at night, have been shown to reduce core temperature.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8836952

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22293292

Edited by hamishm00, 11 February 2016 - 04:44 AM.

• like x 1

#6 Never_Ending

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

Less mitochondrial activity causes lower body temperature, are you sure to really want that ?

Maybe in theory it could extend life but I doubt you are going to enjoy the experience.

Sigh....   I already briefly addressed this in the post. + didn't say I was sure.  And things would be more relating compounds, and not things like just sleep for 24 hours. More like things that either do so in a way that isn't detrimental (and not mitochondrial related) or  lowers mitochondrial activity like you said,  but without much negative effects.

Its like someone asking "what compounds can reduce fruit production in plants? without getting into why" Then someone answers: "You could starve it, and why would you want less fruit on your plants isn't that going to make you worse off"

Edited by Never_Ending, 11 February 2016 - 05:09 PM.

#7 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:18 PM

Mammals as more evolute animals are homeothermic because when not at the optimal temperature perform poorly and feel miserable, when someone ask what to do in order to perform poorly and feel miserable it is quite understandable the first question that comes to mind is why do you want that?

If it sounds a bit too pragmatic I am sorry. :)

• Disagree x 1

#8 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:04 PM

Can't speak for the original poster, but the theory may be throttling back on your burn rate (oxidation of fuel) might make your machine last longer.  

If you've got a car you really like and make a lot of cross country trips in it, you're likely to have it a lot longer if you keep your average speed closer to 60 than 90.  

Athletes who take steroids, EPO, etc improve performance, but this often comes at a price.  Perhaps damping things down a bit might have the opposite effect?   

#9 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:20 PM

If the car you really like is a Ferrari and you drive around at 30 in order to have it last longer you are not going to like it that much anymore.

Improving performances with drugs is like filling up the Ferrari tank with nitromethane...

I think a Ferrari is able to provide plenty of satisfaction as it is if used as meant to.

#10 Never_Ending

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:56 AM

Can't speak for the original poster, but the theory may be throttling back on your burn rate (oxidation of fuel) might make your machine last longer.  

If you've got a car you really like and make a lot of cross country trips in it, you're likely to have it a lot longer if you keep your average speed closer to 60 than 90.  

Athletes who take steroids, EPO, etc improve performance, but this often comes at a price.  Perhaps damping things down a bit might have the opposite effect?   

Right so between that reasonable possibility and the null , we should be able to put the end goal aside for a moment and talk about compounds a little bit, that's what I was hoping.

And thanks for explaining the concept behind it.

Edited by Never_Ending, 12 February 2016 - 03:31 AM.

#11 Never_Ending

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:26 AM

Mammals as more evolute animals are homeothermic because when not at the optimal temperature perform poorly and feel miserable, when someone ask what to do in order to perform poorly and feel miserable it is quite understandable the first question that comes to mind is why do you want that?

If it sounds a bit too pragmatic I am sorry. :)

Not quite...

You can alter some mechanisms within a range and once you take it to the extreme things get miserable. 

Just like someone's healthy body weight might have a range of 130-150   out of range will cause misery.

core body temp - minuscule range ... still is one

Don't be sorry ;) the issue was not a matter of pragmatism .... 

#12 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:55 AM

Right so between that reasonable possibility and the null , we should be able to put the end goal aside for a moment and talk about compounds a little bit, that's what I was hoping.

And thanks for explaining the concept behind it.

What's your ferritin?  If it's into triple digits then get thee to a blood bank!  Iron puts the flam in inflammation...  Females who are near anemia due to menstruation run cooler than their high iron male counterparts.  (they also live about half a decade longer than males as they don't start accumulating iron until menopause!)

http://www.womenshea...eet/anemia.html

What are the signs of anemia?  Low body temperature.  

http://www.drweil.co...298/Anemia.html

What are the symptoms: Low body temperature

http://www.irondisor...ficiency-anemia

Signs and symptoms: Sensitivity to cold (low body temperature) 

-----------------------

Don't know if you'd want to pull your iron all the way down to clinical anemia, but any elevation (ferritin into triple digits) could be stoking fires of inflammation, and any reduction of iron down to near deficiency levels should lower body temperature. 

Edited by synesthesia, 12 February 2016 - 05:09 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#13 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:53 AM

Mice with more uncoupled mitochondria have a higher metabolic rate and live significantly longer.

Speakman JR et al. 2004. Uncoupled and surviving: individual mice with high metabolism have greater mitochondrial uncoupling and live longerAging cell3(3), pp.87-95.

One can mimic this effect with uncouplers like 2,4-DNP, which as body builders will tell you, carries the risk of cooking from within.

Caldeira da Silva CC et al. 2008. Mild mitochondrial uncoupling in mice affects energy metabolism, redox balance and longevityAging cell7(4), pp.552-560.

C60 may function primarily as a mitochondrial uncoupler as well.

Chistyakov VA et al. 2013. Possible mechanisms of fullerene C60 antioxidant actionBioMed research international2013.

Why would increasing the burn rate extend lifespan? Mitochondrial ROS production varies nonlinearly with membrane potential and thus ROS production is highly sensitive to a small decrease in membrane potential. A 10 mV decrease in membrane potential is enough to abolish around 70% of the ROS produced by complex I.

Miwa S and Brand MD, 2003. Mitochondrial matrix reactive oxygen species production is very sensitive to mild uncouplingBiochemical Society Transactions31(6), pp.1300-1301.

This holds true for humans, as well:

Its a striking enough effect that I've delved into the literature on uncoupling protein inducers, which include:

β3 adrenergic agonists (mirabegron, solabegron)

PPARγ agonists (benzafibrate, pioglitazone)
AMPK activation (exercise, fasting, metformin, berberine, salicylates, telmisartan, dietary polyphenols)
capsaicin and capsaicin-analogs
fucoxanthin
retinoids
dietary methionine restriction
cold exposure

• Informative x 2
  • Well Written x 1

#14 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:01 AM

The Plot Thickens!  Interesting stuff Darryl, & nice to see you posting again.

Going to read the links now.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Never_Ending

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:07 PM

The thing about that is it's very likely the uncoupling of mitochondria is the factor that allows for both faster metabolism and longer life..... however that's not to say faster metabolism via other ways is going to help lifespan at all... could still be the slower is better for that just this case of uncoupling mitochondria is an exception?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: temperature, supplement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users