Anxiety Episodes: Low Blood Sugar? Help

diet anxiety blood sugar insulin stress fight or flight carbs protein

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 birthdaysuit

• 299 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

Could it be low blood sugar?

Initially, when one’s blood sugar drops too low, the brain is not getting the energy it needs, and the result is a feeling of serious fatigue, along with irritability and emotional swings due to the release of adrenal hormones.

Those suffering from hypoglycemia experience a roller coaster effect as their blood sugar bounces from low to high to low again, with multiple episodes throughout the day. Personally, I feel energized and lively in the waking hours of the morning but at around 10am I start to crash and by 3pm I feel beyond fatigued. My joints ache, my muscles hurt, I’m irritable and I can not even walk up stairs, let alone pick up a box. It’s just this overall fatigue, it’s debilitating. It causes brain fog, makes me extremely spacey and seems to increase cortisol secretion. Because of this I'm always in a state of fight or flight, even with people I usually feel comfortable with. It's like everything is overstimulating and triggers my brain to panic. All I want to do is space out and fall asleep because the burden of thought to accomplish a task is too tiresome and stressful.

I’m dying here and it’s having a detrimental impact on my daily tasks. Short-term emergency remedy that increases blood sugar is not an option, unless its natural. Most people tell me to drink a mountain dew or pepsi. No way.

Diet wise, I started a high fat, low carb diet a couple of weeks ago and my anxiety has significantly increased. In December, I ate a high carb, high fat diet with lots of pasta and I felt great, the problem is wheat flares my psoriasis, which is one of the reasons why I cut out wheat. Honestly, I felt better eating Taco Bell every other day than I do know.

I've learned that cortisol is necessary for gluconeogenesis, gluconeogenesis is required for survival on low-carb, chronic cortisol is known to be damaging, and cortisol is known to screw with sleep. My sleep as of recent has been absolutely horrid. I wake up multiple times a night, toss and turn and feel lethargic and spacey upon waking. This could also explain cortisol spikes throughout the day. This never happened when I was eating grains.

Lastly, when I drink a fruit/veggie drink during the afternoon hours my mood increases significantly and my anxiety lessens to a noticeable degree. Should I go back to a high carb diet? I can't stand living in a state of fight or flight, only carbs rid of this burden.

#2 Doc Psychoillogical

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:15 AM

It's possible this is what you are experiencing;
Although serotonin is well known as a brain neurotransmitter, it is estimated that 90 percent of the body's serotonin is made in the digestive tract. In fact, altered levels of this peripheral serotonin have been linked to diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, cardiovascular disease, and osteoporosis.
1. Protein-rich foods, such as meat or chicken, contain high levels of tryptophans. Tryptophan appears in dairy foods, nuts, and fowl. Ironically, however, levels of both tryptophan and serotonin drop after eating a meal packed with protein.
- Why? According to nutritionist Elizabeth Somer, when you eat a high-protein meal, you "flood the blood with both tryptophan and its competing amino acids," all fighting for entry into the brain.
-That means only a small amount of tryptophan gets through -- and serotonin levels don't rise. But eat a carbohydrate-rich meal, and your body triggers a release ofinsulin. This, Somer says, causes any amino acids in the blood to be absorbed into the body -- but not the brain. Except for, you guessed it -- tryptophan! It remains in the bloodstream at high levels following a carbohydrate meal, which means it can freely enter the brain and cause serotonin levels to rise, she says.

2. To some extent what we eat influences whether or not our brain is able to make serotonin. More than 30 years ago, research at MIT uncovered the connection between the consumption of any carbohydrate (except fructose) and serotonin synthesis.

- The release of insulin after carbohydrate is digested indirectly helps an amino acid, tryptophan, get into the brain. Once there, tryptophan is converted through a biochemical process into serotonin.

- However, when more than small amounts of protein are eaten along with the carbohydrate, this process is blocked.

3. Serotonin appears to be associated with panic attacks. Although studies that have used tryptophan depletion techniques in humans do not necessarily induce a panic attack. 
- It appears it may sensitize the body by an increase in neurovegetative panic symptoms and increased anxiety. Which suggests that serotonin is protective against panic attacks, at least acutely.

Possibly...lol

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:38 AM

Although serotonin is well known as a brain neurotransmitter, it is estimated that 90 percent of the body's serotonin is made in the digestive tract. In fact, altered levels of this peripheral serotonin have been linked to diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, cardiovascular disease, and osteoporosis.
1. Protein-rich foods, such as meat or chicken, contain high levels of tryptophans. Tryptophan appears in dairy foods, nuts, and fowl. Ironically, however, levels of both tryptophan and serotonin drop after eating a meal packed with protein.
- Why? According to nutritionist Elizabeth Somer, when you eat a high-protein meal, you "flood the blood with both tryptophan and its competing amino acids," all fighting for entry into the brain.
-That means only a small amount of tryptophan gets through -- and serotonin levels don't rise. But eat a carbohydrate-rich meal, and your body triggers a release ofinsulin. This, Somer says, causes any amino acids in the blood to be absorbed into the body -- but not the brain. Except for, you guessed it -- tryptophan! It remains in the bloodstream at high levels following a carbohydrate meal, which means it can freely enter the brain and cause serotonin levels to rise, she says.

2. To some extent what we eat influences whether or not our brain is able to make serotonin. More than 30 years ago, research at MIT uncovered the connection between the consumption of any carbohydrate (except fructose) and serotonin synthesis.

- The release of insulin after carbohydrate is digested indirectly helps an amino acid, tryptophan, get into the brain. Once there, tryptophan is converted through a biochemical process into serotonin.

- However, when more than small amounts of protein are eaten along with the carbohydrate, this process is blocked.

3. Serotonin appears to be associated with panic attacks. Although studies that have used tryptophan depletion techniques in humans do not necessarily induce a panic attack. 
- It appears it may sensitize the body by an increase in neurovegetative panic symptoms and increased anxiety. Which suggests that serotonin is protective against panic attacks, at least acutely.

Possibly...lol

Might it have something to do with insulin? A month ago I use to take high dosages of myo-inositol everyday, inositol is reported to reverse desensitization of serotonin as well as increase extracellular concentrations  of serotonin and, therefore, an increase in serotonergic neurotransmission. I felt pretty good on it, however, my short-term memory was impaired greatly and I read studies that it was anti-nutrient. It also significantly can lower testosterone, so I stopped. Nonetheless, it was relatively effective against panic and fight or flight. Maybe there’s a correlation, I don’t know. I just need to get rid of this spacey, wired but tired feeling. 

Maybe I’ll go back to eating high carbs, I’ve just read that Wheat in some people can cause anxiety. So I’m a little weary on going back to eating it. The only other thing I can think of that I did differently in December than I am doing now is that I had Hemp Hearts everyday. 

Edited by birthdaysuit, 09 February 2016 - 04:39 AM.

#4 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:59 PM

Does anyone know anything about histamine intolerance and low DoA enzymes?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Doc Psychoillogical

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:52 AM

Possibly...lol

^The release of insulin after carbohydrate is digested indirectly helps an amino acid, tryptophan, get into the brain. Once there, tryptophan is converted through a biochemical process into serotonin.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diet, anxiety, blood sugar, insulin, stress, fight or flight, carbs, protein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users