- - - - -

Get mind back from neuroleptics

antipsychotics neuroleptics brain

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Steph

• 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:07 AM

Hello everyone! Excuse me for my bad, non-native English in advance. My situation is such that I have been multiple psychiatric drugs for some time (5 months Risperidone, 3 months Chlorprotixene, 5 months antidepressants) because of being misdiagnosed by a psychiatrist. To make things worse I have a history of 2 cold-turkeys and 1 rapid taper because of bad decisions I made following irresponsible doctor advise.

And now I'm experiencing very disturbing symptoms such as gruesome headache, numb head and almost complete loss of concentration (my attention is so scarce it is extremely difficult to even write this post) that I have no explanation for other than my brain being damaged by the rapid tapers.

It feels like I'm not going to be able to live if I stay like that. Does anyone know is there a way to reverse neuroleptic-induced brain damage? Could someone consult and work with me on recovering my brain? Please help me I suffer so much!

#2 Londonscouser

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

If your doctor allows you to taper, then exercise, such as cardio, over a period of time, is a good start to get back to normal.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 justabody

• 71 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:38 AM

So you're having acute withdrawal? Please just wait it out - I know it feels terrible but the suffering's temporary. Do you feel manic/really intense emotions? A lot of people report this when withdrawing off APs because they upregulates dopamine receptors.

I 2nd consistent cardio exercise, diet w/ meats, fruits and vegetables. I've been experimenting with chemical methods recommended on this forum to correct perceived, long-term deficits induced by APs, and it's been pretty fruitless so far. I'm pretty much relying on the passage of time at this point.

Edited by justabody, 11 February 2016 - 05:40 AM.

#4 Steph

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:50 AM

justabody, thanks for your answer! I don't feel intense emotions just sorrow and anxiety because of my cognitive deficits. It would be great if the passage of time helped. Have you tried finding and working with a doctor?

#5 justabody

• 71 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:16 AM

What are your cognitive deficits exactly? Doctors in the US will generally recommend SSRIs for any type of mood issue. I don't find them suitable for my needs (low motivation, anhedonia, foggy brain), which I believe to be incited by Zyprexa. I don't know if doctors in Russia are any different.  I would recommend staying away from antipsychotics, getting out and avoiding being sedentary as much as you can. I'd say give more time and reassess, there is no indication that what you're going through now is permanent.

Edited by justabody, 11 February 2016 - 06:21 AM.

#6 Londonscouser

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

am i right in saying you are emotionally blunt/flat, anhedonic ? or is the way you feel emotions normal?

#7 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:27 AM

Ive come across one anecdote of a person going into remission from long term ap induced anhedonia with the combination of ropinirole and pramipexole.

My recommedation is the initiation for the time being of modafinil for the concentration issues and NSI for repairing the brain, or that dopaminergic neurotrophic substance

#8 justabody

• 71 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:44 AM

Ive come across one anecdote of a person going into remission from long term ap induced anhedonia with the combination of ropinirole and pramipexole.

My recommedation is the initiation for the time being of modafinil for the concentration issues and NSI for repairing the brain, or that dopaminergic neurotrophic substance

I experienced some sudden windows of pleasure this evening and only had caffeine in the morning, so I'm starting to doubt it was the Zyprexa. It would be more-or-less constant if that was the case. 

Honestly, time is my best recommendation. If APs had some catastrophic, permanent effect on dopaminergic systems in the brain I believe it would be more widely reported among off-label uses.  Scratch that it's a conspiracy.

Edited by justabody, 26 February 2016 - 04:51 AM.

#9 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:14 AM

After taking zyprexa for a few days with racetams i also suddenly broke trough the anhedonia at times with some manic like episodes, was also sweaty when i was trying to sleep in bed like mad.

Then took it again as i wanted to taper down but didnt take it again after that just stopped racetams too and i think im withdrawing of it now and getting my old reward back.

Olanzapine is said to be the most brutal with regards to withdrawal symptions.

#10 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:22 AM

People report months of anhedonia after stoppind aps, mostly when they abrubtly stop them, but even then there are plenty reports of semi permanent anhedonia, one guy recovered from olanzapine anhedonia in 2 weeks with the help of fish oil and magnesium.

#11 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

I took Olanzapine for 6 months after my psychosis, decided to half the dosage for few days and come off. No problem, don't feel any different except Olanzapine made me want to eat more and perhaps I slept a bit more.

#12 justabody

• 71 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

I took Olanzapine for 6 months after my psychosis, decided to half the dosage for few days and come off. No problem, don't feel any different except Olanzapine made me want to eat more and perhaps I slept a bit more.

This is reassuring. I really became obsessed that it took something away from me. I guess reading all the brain shrinkage studies didn't help.

#13 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

It gave a suspected TIA

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#14 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

I think that the brain schrinkage is caused by shizo itself actually, that said aps are definatly neurotoxic and can induce long term issues such as TD,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antipsychotics, neuroleptics, brain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users