• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How to prevent neurotoxicity when you take amphetamines for ADD?

amphetamines

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tfor

• 202 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:16 AM

I have ADD and I take amphetamines. I dont take them every single day but regularly.

Usually my dose is between 10-20mg amphetamine. I have tried different kinds:

Vyvanse, Dexedrine, Amphetamine Sulfate

I also tried Ritalin but it doesn't seem to help me very much.

Are there any supplements which I could or should take to protect the brain?

I read that amphetamines even in therapeutic doses are unhealthy for the brain

and that animal studies prove this.

I have been taking amphetamines only for roughly a year. I dont know how long I'll

be taking them. I also dont really worry about what might be in 20-30 years cause this

is simply too far away.

I forgot to mention I also take Lamotrigine 300mg for depression.

#2 Doc Psychoillogical

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:30 AM

http://www.longecity...ion-stimulants/

Ive spent numerous man hours compiling this info, please check it out.

Very certain itll answer your question/s :cool:

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Wingless

• 107 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:50 PM

Theanine and Magnesium, for starters

For clarification, Theanine modulates glutamate receptors to prevent over stimulation, which is why it has a calming effect

Magnesium is directly involved in glutamate activity and is actually an NMDA antagonist, though not a very strong one.

I recently found out that cocoa powder is actually an excellent source of Magnesium, so if you have some cocoa powder you don't even need to buy magnesium supplements.

Edited by Wingless, 12 February 2016 - 12:38 AM.

• Agree x 1

#4 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:07 AM

As i remember, a normal medical dose of Amphetamines do no harm on the brain.

Research papers often cite "amphetamine", but always seem to refer to methamphetamine.

I too use amphetamines for treatment of ADD, so before i started taking the medicine (Vyvanse/elvanse) i did my research on that supposed neurotoxicity,

remembering how on internet-forums it was always talked about how amphetamine is neurotoxic.

So i started researching about that supposed neurotoxicity of amphetamines,

turns out that all the research/studies i found on the subject talks about methamphetamine, not amphetamine, and in some cases MDMA.

But as for preventing neurotoxicity stemming from amphetamines (that i assume only meth or MDMA may induce), since there are little to no research made in 'ameliorating neurotoxicity induced by narcotics',

there isn't much to go on, but what is often mentioned in forums with anecdotal evidence is Magnesium, and Memantine.

#5 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

long-term decreases in markers of biogenic amine neurotransmission. These decreases have been traditionally linked to nerve terminals and are evident in a variety of species, including rodents, nonhuman primates, and humans. Recent studies indicate that the damage produced by these drugs may be more widespread than originally believed. Changes indicative of damage to cell bodies of biogenic and nonbiogenic amine–containing neurons in several brain areas and endothelial cells that make up the blood–brain barrier have been reported. The processes that mediate this damage involve not only oxidative stress but also include excitotoxic mechanisms, neuroinflammation, the ubiquitin proteasome system, as well as mitochondrial and neurotrophic factor dysfunction.

As you can see, oxiditative stress is the main cause, with 4 or 5 secondary causes of damage and persisting dysfunction.

Then something simple, like ala/alcar, exercise, blueberries, watercress, ginger/turmeric could help address the oxidative stress.

As for the secondary causes, very specific strategies are required.

#6 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:46 PM

I recently found out that cocoa powder is actually an excellent source of Magnesium, so if you have some cocoa powder you don't even need to buy magnesium supplements.

Cocoa also contains stimulant compounds such as Phenylethylamine and others. (I use a 25% cocao extract as a stimulant)
The amount of cocao powder required for necessary NMDA antagonsism would not be feasible IMO.

Better to use either Mg glycinate/threonate orally or Mg chloride/sulphate transdermally.

Mg chloride can also be used orally.

Other NMDA antagonists that can be used for mitigation of amphetamine neurotoxicity and tolerance build up:

Memantine
Agmatine
Zinc

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

hemp protein also has lots of magnesium

HempPro_15G_16oz_NF.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amphetamines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users