• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

How to find dentist (esp. in Boston) that doesn't require x-rays?

xrays

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

So I'm in the Boston area, and I'd really like to find a dentist who can do cleanings without doing x-rays. I've called a number of dentists, and all of them require x-rays. Is there a way to find one that doesn't do them?

With x-rays, it's not just cancer that's a concern. It's also general DNA/protein damage that can accumulate over time.

While many argue that the total dose is small compared to the amount of x-rays one is exposed to in a year.. the thing with dental x-rays is that the exposure is concentrated over milliseconds, which could possibly overwhelm one's DNA-repair proteins during the same period of time.

And then... there's http://www.webmd.com...ed-brain-tumors

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:01 AM

That webmd article doesn't say what the absolute risk is, only the relative risk.  Most dentists will want an xray on a new patient, but you shouldn't need them every year.  You could probably do them every three years.  Do bitewings (digital), not panoramic.  If you've had xrays in the recent past, get them sent to the new dentist.  If not, just get one done, then wait two or three years to do another.  I don't think any dentist would insist on xrays every year.  If they do, then find a new one.

You might be worrying too much about this.  Your body has a number of systems for repairing damage to DNA, and a number of mechanism for getting rid of sick cells.  You can handle some xrays.

#3 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:07 AM

You can handle some xrays

I agree, but to require x rays in order to proceed with an oral hygiene session is beyond my comprehension.

X rays are overrated, they often show cavities that are non existent and totally miss other issues that might be important (especially panoramic x rays, the kind usually prescribed), a skillful dentist should be able to get a much better picture of the dental health of a patient in the course of the hygiene procedure itself (actually the main reason to perform it in the first place). 

Sure enough if the hygiene is performed by the dentist assistant (as usually happens) and that assistant is not well prepared (since it only needs to be "cheap" for the dentist to pay)...

I would suggest to ask who is going to perform the hygiene, if is not the dentist no wonder that an x ray will be required, the only way for the dentist to get an idea of what is going on (and too often to find an excuse to perform some costly interventions).

It is the whole approach that is wrong, relying on an x ray for a diagnosis, let someone else do the "dirty job", get a nice amount of money without having to actually "work" and hopefully make much more of it on some (often) unnecessary or inappropriate intervention based on thin air.  

The mouths you can see around are the proof of it.     

If you need to see what is going on with your leg bone an x rays is probably more appropriate than cutting your leg open just to peer inside...but to open your mouth it is not going to be that invasive after all, isn't it?

Getting an idea of someone mouth by an x rays is like judging a used car conditions by looking at a picture of it instead of driving, getting underneath, inspecting the engine, etc...

Of course dental x rays do have their place but eventually AFTER in order to clarify a doubt, not BEFORE just because everybody does so.

In most cases is quite disturbing to notice the dentist paying very little attention if any to that "indispensable" x rays you have been forced to provide, it happens much more often than you think (consider that even for a very.skillful radiologist is not as straightforward to "read" x rays properly, it takes TIME, attention and a great deal of expertise). 

I do agree that bitewings are a much better diagnostic image (and much less radiations) than panoramic. 

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

This is why I don't go for cleanings in this country anymore - too much aggressive pressure and shaming to get X-rays as well as shady pressure to get unnecessary "preventive" and cosmetic procedures, despite never even having had a cavity or any problems from my wisdom teeth at almost 50. I just do them when I travel yearly to the old country, where they don't insist on X-rays, the dentist actually looks carefully at my teeth, and they tell me my teeth are fantastic. 

#5 LucidMind

• 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:41 PM

This is why I don't go for cleanings in this country anymore - too much aggressive pressure and shaming to get X-rays as well as shady pressure to get unnecessary "preventive" and cosmetic procedures, despite never even having had a cavity or any problems from my wisdom teeth at almost 50. I just do them when I travel yearly to the old country, where they don't insist on X-rays, the dentist actually looks carefully at my teeth, and they tell me my teeth are fantastic. 

Nowayout you just have be very assertive from the beginning of the appointment that you do not want x-rays under any circumstances unless there is an obvious issue of decay or issues of pain. I find that telling them right off the bat about your position, they will 9 times out of 10 not push the issue any further. Just once polite and assertive statement about not wanting X-rays in enough. 

I completely agree that the X-rays thing is completely overdone in the US and unfortunately is mainly used as way for dentists to maximize revenue. I don't know know the stats on x-ray profitability, but I am sure once the machine is owned by the dentist, the maintenance costs are very slim. 

See this article in the NYTimes about some dentists pushing for cone-beam CT scanners on children's teeth. Pretty shocking. This what happens when we have a country that does not have a single-payer like system. I doubt other western countries would reimburse dentists for these kind of ridiculous diagnostic treatments. 

Edited by LucidMind, 18 February 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#6 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

I usually get bitewings, but I sometimes skip them. They keep wanting me to do a "full set" of x-rays which is like, I don't know, 20-30 separate x-rays. I had them done once and I didn't know it would be so many. The session went on forever. They keep pressuring me to get a "full set" again and I keep saying no.

At an orthodontist, I had a panoramic x-ray once. That was one continuous x-ray, not like the the "full set" I described above. I imagine the "full set" is worse, more radiation, than the panoramic. But, panoramic is still more radiation than bitewings. 

#7 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

Panoramic is the worse, single shots are far less radiations even if are many shots.

From single shots at least it is more likely to get an idea of what is going on, from a panoramic is much more a matter of guessing.

• Agree x 1

#8 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:35 PM

There is no need for x rays at the dentist. There are now caries detection devices that use lasers that cause fluorescence of the tooth while others use transillumination to see through enamel. They are based on the idea that caries makes the tooth structure more porous.

You need to find a dentist who uses these techniques.
  • like x 1

#9 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:46 AM

The reason the dentist to want you an x-ray only for clinical hygiene is most probabbly some of the many stupid rules of the many health ensurance systems worldwide, that he is obligated to follow if he wants to be payed for your cleaning. So... solution is easy. Offer the dentist to pay him the cleaning from your pocket. 

• Agree x 1

#10 umaru

• 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:18 AM

The reason the dentist to want you an x-ray only for clinical hygiene is most probabbly some of the many stupid rules of the many health ensurance systems worldwide, that he is obligated to follow if he wants to be payed for your cleaning. So... solution is easy. Offer the dentist to pay him the cleaning from your pocket. 

That's a good idea! I think you're right about the stupid rules. My dentist office told me that for some reason they needed to do the x-rays for the insurance company. I get my teeth cleaned every 3 months, so I end up having to pay out of pocket for a couple visits anyway. Thanks for the tip!

#11 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:02 AM

There is no need for x rays at the dentist. There are now caries detection devices that use lasers that cause fluorescence of the tooth while others use transillumination to see through enamel. They are based on the idea that caries makes the tooth structure more porous.

You need to find a dentist who uses these techniques.

Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

This askthedentist article says:

Cons

• Doesn’t work on teeth with fillings.
  • Can indicate a cavity when there isn’t one. In situations where a cavity is obvious, the tool works well. But in the gray areas, the tool might be too sensitive.
  • Can’t diagnose a cavity by itself. Studies show it works well in providing the dentist additional information, but it can’t work by itself.
  • Can’t replace an x-ray. These tools are not superior to a visual exam done by your dentist, according to a 2006 study.

#12 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

Does anyone know how quickly double strand breaks are repaired in this tissue?  That is, if I have a family member, on a hormone prescription, who is exposed to dental x-rays; how long should they take a break from the hormone?

#13 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

Does anyone know how quickly double strand breaks are repaired in this tissue?  That is, if I have a family member, on a hormone prescription, who is exposed to dental x-rays; how long should they take a break from the hormone?

What would be the reason for taking a break from the hormone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users