curcumin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lemon_

• Validating/Suspended
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:56 PM

Hi all,

What is better quality and better value? 

Buying 1kg of Turmeric and 1kg of black pepper, taking them both together or a common product like Jarrow Formulas Curcumin 95,.

Any idea please?.

thanks. 

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:56 AM

Pure turmeric powder averages 3.14% curcumin by weight, so if your turmeric is average, you'd get 31 grams of curcumin in 1kg.  Swanson has turmeric powder for $8.29/lb, or $18.24/kg, or $0.0182/gm.  The cost of the curcumin contained in it is $18.24/31g = $0.588/g.  Jarrow Curcumin 95 from Swanson is $18.82 for 120 * 500mg 95% curcumin.  That's 18.82 / (0.5g * 120 * 0.95) = $0.33/gm.  So the convenient capped curcumin is 18 times the cost per gram. cheaper than the turmeric!  You might get tired of eating all that turmeric, too.  There's also the question of bioavailability.  The real figure of merit should be the cost per plasma concentration of curcumin integrated over time, so this might make one of the formulated versions a better deal (maybe).  You also need to figure that convenience is worth something.

I've edited this post to correct my dumb error.  Thanks chemicalambrosia for the clue!

Edited by niner, 21 February 2016 - 08:15 PM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

I take both a turmeric supplement and Life Extension's enhanced absorption "Super Bio-Curcumin".  

On days I take the turmeric, I notice no observable effect.  When I take the enhanced absorption curcumin, I notice a rather dramatic effect, particularly regarding the amelioration of adverse effects from alcohol. 

Enhanced absorption curcumin, taken with dinner before my evening tipple leaves me feeling bright as a button the next morning.  Magical stuff!  The turmeric...  Not so much.  

If you're not a fan of Life Extension brand, I've read "C-3" enhanced absorption curcumin (widely available in many brands) is supposed to be just as good.  Curcumin-95 is another formulation with good absorption data associated with it.  I just got a good result from the LE brand and stuck with it.  C-3 curcumin is made with pepperine, and I've read some reports that may have adverse effects.  LE's Super-Bio doesn't contain pepperine, but apparently another absorption enhancement formulation.  

Again, plain turmeric did nothing for me.  I still take it, as some say there are co-factors in turmeric that may be helpful, so I'm covering all bases regarding this magical supplement.  

Hope this helps. 

Edited by synesthesia, 21 February 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#4 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

Pure turmeric powder averages 3.14% curcumin by weight, so if your turmeric is average, you'd get 31 grams of curcumin in 1kg.  Swanson has turmeric powder for $8.29/lb, or $18.24/kg, or $0.0182/gm.  Jarrow Curcumin 95 from Swanson is $18.82 for 120 * 500mg 95% curcumin.  That's 18.82 / (0.5g * 120 * 0.95) = $0.33/gm.  So the convenient capped curcumin is 18 times the cost per gram.  You might get tired of eating all that turmeric.  There's also the question of bioavailability.  The real figure of merit should be the cost per plasma concentration of curcumin integrated over time, so this might make one of the formulated versions a better deal (maybe).  You also need to figure that convenience is worth something.

18.24/31 = $0.588 per gram. You didn't figure for cost of curcumin in the turmeric, only for cost of turmeric. By the numbers you gave capped curcumin is cheaper than bulk turmeric for curcumin content.

• Good Point x 1

#5 lemon_

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

Which is better for you?.

There's lots of fucking rip off on amazon, weather its jarrow or not. 

example:

I see many products in the new year being reduced from $60 to $20... etc... so if they're selling it that high, who knows the rubbish shit, its all just about labeling an the snob placebo value of thinking you got a chemical. 

how do do they convert the root into chemicals,etc?

IS THERE ANY SPECIAL TURMERIC ROOT I CAN BUY? 

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

18.24/31 = $0.588 per gram. You didn't figure for cost of curcumin in the turmeric, only for cost of turmeric. By the numbers you gave capped curcumin is cheaper than bulk turmeric for curcumin content.

Thanks chemicalambrosia, that changes the result by a lot.  I'm a little surprised that the capped version is so much cheaper.  And that was a particularly low cost turmeric, too.

#7 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

And that was a particularly low cost turmeric, too.

Not really - my local Indian import grocer sells 800g turmeric powder for 5-8$ (depending if there is a sale).

That being said, one has to consume a great deal of turmeric to get enough curcumin so Jarrow's formulation is still preferable.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:41 AM

Well, it was the cheapest one in a brief look on the web.  I could see using turmeric for cooking, but I'm not going to mess with it as a source of curcumin.  At the moment I'm using Longvida.

#9 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:37 PM

I usually get Doctor's Best curcumin from Swanson. Current price for 1-gram capsules is 36c/gram. A whole turmeric product might provide greater health benefits, but I don't see being able to consume 30 grams of turmeric a day so you have a significant tradeoff.

#10 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

...LOL, Swanson just sent me a 20% off coupon, so make that 29c a gram, plus free shipping within the US. Of course this is only good for a few days, but Swanson is constantly sending similar promo codes.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

Why is the debate over either an extract or whole turmeric? Why not both? The beneficial effects of turmeric were noticed from using the whole herb, not from an extract. By taking the herb you get various co factors that may be present rather than an extracted chemical. Take both and cover all bases.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: curcumin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users