- - - - -

Best Lion's Mane extraction method?

lions mane ngf extraction

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ImAjE rec

• 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

I've searchd the web but didn't want any satisfactorily answer. What is the best extraction method for Lion's Mane from ethanol,hot water,steam if you follow increasing NGF?

#2 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Yamabushitake has been noted to increase mRNA expression of nerve-growth factor (NGF) in isolated astrocytes to around 5-fold that of control at 100-150ug/mL of the ethanolic extract in a concentration dependent manner, with no efficacy noted in the water extract.

However, hericenones C, D and E, constituents of H. erinaceus, failed to promote NGF gene expression in 1321N1 cells.

In conclusion, H. erinaceus contains active compounds that stimulate NGF synthesis via activation of the JNK pathway; these compounds are not hericenones.

Http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18758067

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ImAjE rec

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

Yamabushitake has been noted to increase mRNA expression of nerve-growth factor (NGF) in isolated astrocytes to around 5-fold that of control at 100-150ug/mL of the ethanolic extract in a concentration dependent manner, with no efficacy noted in the water extract.

However, hericenones C, D and E, constituents of H. erinaceus, failed to promote NGF gene expression in 1321N1 cells.

In conclusion, H. erinaceus contains active compounds that stimulate NGF synthesis via activation of the JNK pathway; these compounds are not hericenones.

I see,but what about the steam extraction method? Not too many info about that.

#4 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

I see,but what about the steam extraction method? Not too many info about that.
Steam of water or steam of ethanol? Should be expected any significative difference from water steam in comparison with hot water? I don't think so.

Go with the ethanol, it has be proven to work.

Edited by William Sterog, 27 March 2016 - 07:24 PM.

• Informative x 1

#5 ImAjE rec

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

Probably water steams and apparantly it differs fron the hot water extract.Well i have 2 options..the steam extract who has 95% polysaccharides and the ethanol extract 30% polysaccharides.

#6 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:50 PM

Like this user said on this topic, that I recomend you to read:

Extracts are always preferable providing the extract is standardized to the actives that provide the desired effect.  With mushrooms, polysaccharide content can be misleading and not necessarily the true active component that studies have linked to the positive effects.  With a search, there are a number of good threads discussing desirable mushroom extract quality.  Buyer beware.

• Informative x 1

#7 ImAjE rec

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

Hei, thanks for your interest in this topic. Unfortunately there are not too many studies on this promising mushroom just personal users opinions which help too. But do you happen to know what is the isolated compound in this mushroom that is found to increase NGF? Polysaccharides? Do you have any personal experience with this mushroom?

#8 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hei, thanks for your interest in this topic. Unfortunately there are not too many studies on this promising mushroom just personal users opinions which help too. But do you happen to know what is the isolated compound in this mushroom that is found to increase NGF? Polysaccharides? Do you have any personal experience with this mushroom?

Yes, but I did almost nothing to me. Just some tension in the back of my neck. I used to take a whole mushroom powder, maybe not the best option.

This may help:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/26481911

Edited by William Sterog, 28 March 2016 - 09:12 AM.

#9 ImAjE rec

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

Maybe it was a less effective brand. But are those compounds part of a larger category/class? As it is hard to follow them when buying the suppliment.

#10 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

Maybe it was a less effective brand. But are those compounds part of a larger category/class? As it is hard to follow them when buying the suppliment.

I think that you should look after triterpene content. 

Hericium erinaceus contains a number of polysaccharides, such as B-glucan,heteroglucansheteroxylans, as several cyanthane derivative triterpenes known as hericenone and erinacine.

Erinacines A, B and C, strong stimulators of nerve growth factor (NGF)-synthesis, from the mycelia of Hericium erinaceum

Erinacines E, F, and G, stimulators of nerve growth factor (NGF)-synthesis, from the mycelia of Hericium erinaceum

Hericenones and erinacines: stimulators of nerve growth factor (NGF) biosynthesis in Hericium erinaceus

http://www.tandfonli...501201003735556

#11 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:49 PM

Probably water steams and apparantly it differs fron the hot water extract.Well i have 2 options..the steam extract who has 95% polysaccharides and the ethanol extract 30% polysaccharides.

See my post here: http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=764306

Stream extraction is a common term used by mycelium on grain producers.

Take any polysaccharide # and throw it out the window. Completely useless.
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 EFTANG

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

See this link.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lions mane, ngf, extraction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users