St John's Wort and Phenibut?

phenibut st johns wort interaction

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Colactix

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

Hi there, I don't usually post about specific drug interactions because normally there is a drove of information on the interwebs. But specific to these two I could find very little. I know how notorious St John's Wort is for interactions, especially with antidepressants and many other prescription drugs. I also know that Wort's mechanism of action is very complex, not as simple as SSRI's or MAOI's. With this in mind - and how Phenibut activates the GABA receptors (which Wort interacts with as well?) would taking these two in combination pose a significant risk, i.e. Serotonin Syndrome? Or is that risk overblown? I have currently been taking the Wort for around two and a half weeks. I understand it can take a little longer to reach full potency, but this isn't my first time and - I think - it has worked in the past. Before starting it this time I have taken Phenibut on occasion, and cautiously. It has been a big help with my Social Anxiety. When I've taken it I actually feel like I might want to leave the house. With university looming in September, and being in no place to currently even think about it, I'm trying to get on top of things. 

Thanks. 

#2 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:15 AM

My personal impression is that concerns about SJW and serotonin syndrome invoke at least a little bit of hysteria. SJW is not nearly as strong an inhibitor of serotonin reuptake as pharmaceutical SSRIs ... check out for example the Wikipedia pages for hypericum and its apparent most active principle hyperforin.

Its effects on liver enzymes and consequently drug metabolism, on the other hand, are marked. It can speed up the breakdown of other drugs, leading to lower than intended levels and loss of therapeutic effect. This could be critical for people depending on drugs for lifesaving effects, for example to prevent rejection of transplanted organs, but clearly less so in the case of more 'optional' compounds like phenibut.

I know of no a priori conflicts between SJW and phenibut, but without actual testing no one can know for sure. I've taken other meds with SJW many times, but always tried very small amounts first.
  • WellResearched x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:48 AM

Kinesis pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to SJW, in both its low risk of causing Serotonin Syndrome and its higher risk of changing the metabolism of other drugs, as it is a CYP3A4 substrate and a P-glycoprotein inducer.

However, I doubt there is any interaction between Phenibut and SJW. One cannot say for sure, however, as there is little information on the pharmacokinetics (metabolism) of phenibut. But I wouldn't worry about it.

#4 Colactix

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:19 PM

Kinesis pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to SJW, in both its low risk of causing Serotonin Syndrome and its higher risk of changing the metabolism of other drugs, as it is a CYP3A4 substrate and a P-glycoprotein inducer.

However, I doubt there is any interaction between Phenibut and SJW. One cannot say for sure, however, as there is little information on the pharmacokinetics (metabolism) of phenibut. But I wouldn't worry about it.

My personal impression is that concerns about SJW and serotonin syndrome invoke at least a little bit of hysteria. SJW is not nearly as strong an inhibitor of serotonin reuptake as pharmaceutical SSRIs ... check out for example the Wikipedia pages for hypericum and its apparent most active principle hyperforin.

Its effects on liver enzymes and consequently drug metabolism, on the other hand, are marked. It can speed up the breakdown of other drugs, leading to lower than intended levels and loss of therapeutic effect. This could be critical for people depending on drugs for lifesaving effects, for example to prevent rejection of transplanted organs, but clearly less so in the case of more 'optional' compounds like phenibut.

I know of no a priori conflicts between SJW and phenibut, but without actual testing no one can know for sure. I've taken other meds with SJW many times, but always tried very small amounts first.

Thanks for the information guys.  :) Yesterday and the few days previous weren't good days for me.

This morning I took my usual SJW, multivitamin, L-Theanine, and 1 gram of Phenibut - I feel much better. It's staying at the point where I'm motivated to change, to exercise, eat healthy, meditate, that's the hardest for me. Somehow I always seem to slip back down into a whirlpool of meaningless nothing. Got to try my hardest though, without that there's nothing.  

#5 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

Do you take Phenibut every day? How long have you been taking it and how has that being going? Are you aware of its potential for strong dependency?

What brand of SJW do you use? The only brand I would recommend is Perika. What's your dose of L-Tyrosine. Do you take it on an empty stomach?

If you keep falling into that whirlpool, have you considered seeing a psychiatrist for antidepressants? I personally see the distinction between supplements and pharmaceuticals to be purely cultural. They both alter neurotransmitter levels or activate/block receptors. Supplements/plants can be just as potent. I'm sure you've heard of Opium and Cocaine. Remember, if not for their legal status as scheduled drugs, they could be sold as supplements.

P.S. SJW drastically increases your ability to tan and/or burn. I recommend sunscreen.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 05 April 2016 - 03:41 PM.

#6 Colactix

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

Do you take Phenibut every day? How long have you been taking it and how has that being going? Are you aware of its potential for strong dependency?

What brand of SJW do you use? The only brand I would recommend is Perika. What's your dose of L-Tyrosine. Do you take it on an empty stomach?

If you keep falling into that whirlpool, have you considered seeing a psychiatrist for antidepressants? I personally see the distinction between supplements and pharmaceuticals to be purely cultural. They both alter neurotransmitter levels or activate/block receptors. Supplements/plants can be just as potent. I'm sure you've heard of Opium and Cocaine. Remember, if not for their legal status as scheduled drugs, they could be sold as supplements.

P.S. SJW drastically increases your ability to tan and/or burn. I recommend sunscreen.

I don't take Phenibut everyday. I'm hardly very intelligent or scientifically minded, but I like to do a fair bit of research before I start taking anything. So I know some things about the potential dependence, tolerance, and withdrawal - likened to benzo's. I've been taking for a few months, usually no more than once a week. I only really take it on a bad day, or one that has the likelihood of more social interaction than usual. It relives some of the anxiety, not all, but to a manageable level. I guess my level of anxiety is pretty severe, so... it's still not brilliant, but it calms the destructive thoughts down once they arise. 

Yeah, I take the Perika brand. I've taken a few others over the past two years, and I'm fairly certain this is best. I've heard about the sensitivity to light and the possible correlation with cataracts. I'll make sure that if I do actually decide to leave the house, and if the rain isn't endlessly falling, to wear sun protection. I agree with your stand on supplements. I think in general people should be more heedful and respective of them. Traditional medicine has/does play a massive role in the world. 

It's L-Theanine I take. 200-400mg, usually with coffee in the morning. I don't know whether you misread, or if it's just a typo.  :)

In my head my life's pretty complex, although I doubt it is in reality. I've been out of education two years now. I'll be twenty in June and then going to university in September. I would be there right now if my anxiety hadn't prevented it for the last two years. Recently I've been trying to get on top of things: I applied, got accepted, done all my accommodation and finance. All in the hope that when it comes to it, I'll manage, whether I will, I don't know. I have considered visiting the psychiatrist - I guess here in the UK it would be the GP. In honesty I'm too anxious to even do that. My family have said it, and I know I should make the effort to try, but whenever I get close to making an appointment my head spirals irrationally. In the past I've been at the point where, I suppose my thinking turned quite dangerous. It's not like that now. Still, there are times when the effort I put in to get better seems to be for naught.

With big changes on the horizon I fear that things might get innumerably worse, however positive those changes might be for me. I see the doctors as a 'last line of defence.' Maybe it's because it will make it too real. Stubbornly, or arrogantly, I like to deal with things myself. Although I know it's probably way beyond that now. I have set it upon myself that if my mind is no better by July, I will have to make a visit. I can't let university slip through my fingers. I literally have nothing else. Thanks for the advice.  :)

Edited by Colactix, 05 April 2016 - 05:06 PM.

#7 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the information guys.  :) Yesterday and the few days previous weren't good days for me.

This morning I took my usual SJW, multivitamin, L-Theanine, and 1 gram of Phenibut - I feel much better. It's staying at the point where I'm motivated to change, to exercise, eat healthy, meditate, that's the hardest for me. Somehow I always seem to slip back down into a whirlpool of meaningless nothing. Got to try my hardest though, without that there's nothing.  

Glad to hear your initial experience went well, Colactix.  I support OSL's suggestions about potential risks with phenibut and considering professional help.  I am 58 years old and have experienced problems similar to yours since I was in my 20s.  I've used all kinds of supplements and prescription meds, but at this time am doing well on combination hypericum (SJW) and low dose (25-50 mg) amitriptyline.  A psychiatrist prescribed the latter at a higher dosage when I experienced a series of panic attacks a few years back.  The SJW was my idea, but I think it is allowing me to do well with a lower dose of the amitrip than I might otherwise need.  (This despite the likelihood that the SJW itself may be reducing my circulating amitrip.)  This is, by the way, one of those combinations that turns up 'serotonin syndrome' warnings, but which after careful consideration and research I believed was worth a try at modest dosages.  I have some phenibut in my medicine cabinet but haven't actually tried it.

I think you are on the right track with your efforts to support general health with lifestyle measures including diet and exercise.  These things seem to give me the most sustainable results, although I full well appreciate how difficult it can be to get motivated when you feel like crap.  So my advice would be to use the meds as part of a strategy to help kick start the broader plan.  I also use a number of supplements (considering the SJW and amitrip both as in the "drug" category), including a broad spectrum multivitamin and mineral regimen, with some extra herbal support from turmeric, green tea, and blueberry extracts (my SJW formula also has some other standardized extracts including rhodiola, ashwaganda, and bacopa).  I can't verify what each might contribute individually because I've never systematically attempted to isolate their effects ... I am a strong believer in the benefits of using small amounts of multiple nutrients as opposed a large amount of one or two on the thesis that it gives your system more options to use where they may be needed, regarding them more as general health support.

Best of health to you, and best of luck with university!

#8 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

Are you taking 5-HTP for depression? There's a lot of other things you could use, like Rhodiola. I've never heard of conflict between the two.

#9 Oracle Laboratories

• 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:51 PM

I'm not entirely sure if you are asking if any adverse pharmacological interactions exist between the St. John's Wort alkaloids and Phenibut, or if you are asking opinions on the effectiveness of this combination.  This happens to be one of my primary specialties and areas of research experience. (Both in clinical study settings, and in biochemical development - by evaluating methodology for synthesizing new derivatives of the hyperforin alkaloids and related alkaloids).  In fact, in people with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Agoraphobia (Social Anxiety Disorder), and depressive conditions that are accompanied by generalized anxiety, the combination of St. John's Wort extract and Phenibut is one of my all-time favorite combinations for the treatment of these disorders (in patients who cannot tolerate the side-effects of many prescription serotonergic antidepressants, do not want to become dependent on a benzodiazepine drugs, or who are simply looking for mild-moderate relief from a natural treatment), since these conditions are caused by two key neurochemical imbalances (GABA and Serotonin). While the Phenibut effectively addresses the GABA-mediated side of these disorders, the hyperforin alkaloids can effectively address the serotonergic side of the disorder - and when used in combination, they can be a much more effective treatment for the above listed conditions than many people realize.  In several clinical studies, the St. John's Wort alkaloids have been found to be very comparable in effectiveness to some of the existing synthetic prescription serotonergic antidepressants (including some Tricyclic Antidepressants and some Selective-Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors), and St. John's Wort extracts are even available by prescription in some countries, such as Germany.

First, to the point of drug interactions.  Phenibut's three primary pharmacological mechanisms-of-action include:  (1) Action as a selective and competitive metabotropic GABA -B Receptor agonist; (2) As a TAAR1 ("Trace Amine-Associated Receptor 1") antagonist (blocking the binding of endogenous B-phenethylamine (an excitatory intermediate neurotransmitter that can induce anxiety) ), and (3) as an a2o-subunit Voltage-Gated Calcium Channel inhibitor. (Leading to the "calming" of several voltage-dependent Ca+ channel systems in the brain and spinal cord). 

The St. John's Wort alkaloids' (hypericin, hyperforin, adhyperforin, amentoflavone, etc) pharmacology is a bit more complex than originally believed, and over the years has been defined as having specific target binding affinities, and actions at, a number of neurotransmitter sites, through a number of distinct mechanisms-of-action.  Originally, it was believed that the antidepressant action of St. John's Wort was via action as an Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI), and it was believed that the principal alkaloid for St, John's Wort's effects was Hypericin - which does possess some slight MAOI activity, but possesses greater pharmacological action (and a more medically noteworthy action) on the synaptic reuptake of several of the key monoamine neurotransmitters.  More recent studies have also noted the effects of hyperforin and adhyperforin on the synaptic reuptake of several of the key monoamine neurotransmitters, including serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, etc. (As well as some effect on the synaptosmal reuptake of GABA and L-glutamate).  Some of these flavonol derivative, biflavone, xanthone, and naphthodianthrone alkaloids contained in St. John's Wort also display some weak affinities for GABA -A, GABA -B, and adeosine receptors, as well as down-regulate beta-andrenergic receptors and up-regulate 5-HT1a and 5-HT2a serotonin receptors. (Which may provide additional psychiatric properties, such as anti-anxiety properties, which may contribute to some degree of overall anxiolytic action of St. John's Wort extracts).  In summary, this wide array of pharmacological action - primarily on the reuptake of the key monoamine neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine (but also norepinephrine and L-glutamate, etc) - but also with direct and specific binding affinities for some of the serotonin receptor subtypes, as well as adrenergic receptors, makes the overall pharmacological mechanism(s)-of-action of St. John's Wort most similar to some of the more efficient prescription Tricyclic Antidepressants. (Although generally with much fewer interactions, side effects, and better safety and tolerability profile in most patients, compared to most prescription Tricyclics).

So, taking into account the pharmacological mechanism(s)-of-action of both compounds, no, there are no direct adverse interactions or contraindications in taking both of these compounds together, and in my personal experience, the co-administration of these drugs can be very synergistic and highly effective in patients with depression accompanied by generalized anxiety, or for anxiety disorders such as Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Agoraphobia (Social Anxiety Disorder), as well as anxiety conditions that either cause, or coincide with various forms of depression.

As one other poster noted, St. John's Wort extracts do have some pharmacological and metabolic interactions with some drugs and dietary materials (supplements and foods), notably drugs that affect the reuptake (or metabolism) of the monoamine neurotransmitters (in a similar fashion as St. John's Wort) such as Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI) antidepressants, Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCA's), and Selective-Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant drugs - which can lead to very dangerous conditions such as Serotonin Syndrome, as well as drugs and amino acids that are metabolized (or inhibit the release of) cytochrome P450 enzymes (particularly, but not entirely) in the stomach and gastrointestinal tract. -  Other drugs that rely heavily on these enzymes for their metabolism may interfere with some St. John's Wort extracts in that their is an insufficient amount of these cytochromes to effectively metabolize both drugs, leading to longer metabolic half-lives for either and/or both drugs, and/or increased blood plasma concentrations of either and/or both drugs that rely on these enzymes for metabolism.  Often these reactions are trivial, but in some cases and with some drugs in particular can sometimes cause serious complications.

One of the issues with some St. John's Wort extracts, is the the extraction methods and solvents used still target mostly Hypericin (based on the old research that suggested St. John's Wort antidepressant effect was caused by hypericin's weak MAOI activity), when we now know that other flavonol derivatives, biflavones, xanthones, etc. in St. John's Wort, such as Hyperforin, Adhyperforin, and Amentoflavone contibute to St. John's Wort's antidepressant actions by the mechanisms-of-action listed above.  So, it is best to find a full-spectrum extract, and as always with herbal extracts, be sure to find a standardized extract.  As far as recommended brands that I have found to be well chemically rounded and consistent, in St. John's Wort supplement brands that we have analyzed include brands such as Spring Valley, Rexall and Sundown, above some of the more commonly available pharmacy brands in the US, like Nature's Way or Solaray.

-John Gona

Oracle Laboratories
NeuroPsych Institute

Edited by Oracle Laboratories, 24 April 2016 - 06:53 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

If you keep falling into that whirlpool, have you considered seeing a psychiatrist for antidepressants? I personally see the distinction between supplements and pharmaceuticals to be purely cultural. They both alter neurotransmitter levels or activate/block receptors. Supplements/plants can be just as potent.

Isn't it a *bit* "extreme" advising the OP to consider pharmaceutical antidepressants (specifically I'm reffering to SSRI's) considering the countless undesirable effects they can have?

I would think that priority should be given to ensuring all physiological aspects (which are inexorably linked to one's mental and emotional state/stability) are functioning correctly - notably digestive and gut bacteria health and diet (avoiding allergens)

Also, increasing neurotrophic factors such as BDNF/GDNF/NGF might be beneficial. There are many plants that have these properties. Ketamine's antidepressant properties are implicated with it's action on BDNF (and mTOR).

Theanine "activates" BDNF and GDNF, and also upregulates GABA(B) and NMDA receptors; taken before going to sleep one wakes up very refreshed (due to upregulated GABA(B)).

There's even a botanical called "happiness tree" which is a good viable antidepressant - http://www.planether...-happiness.html

Even lemon oil with it's 5-HT1A agonism, 5-HT3 antagonsism and acetylcholinesterase inhibition makes for good antidepressant potential with an added cognitive boost.

Now I'm not saying lemon oil is the panacea! Perhaps as an adjunct to other plants it can be beneficial...

Edited by sativa, 25 April 2016 - 02:22 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phenibut, st johns wort, interaction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users