• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Biohacking experiments. Cure aging at my home lab.

biohacking

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IDoNotWantToDie

• 41 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:25 AM

I am about to embark on my own experiments to cure aging at home. I want to ask for some help on what possible kits to buy to experiment with. Possibly buy kits here : http://www.creative-...ene.com/product. I'm thinking of CRISPR gene editing involving mammalian cells, perhaps using some viral transfection method ( might even create my own gene editing kit for mammalian cells so more biohackers can experiment to find a cure for aging at home.) . Where would you suggest I buy ( the best company you know of ) to get started with curing aging at home? I'm not asking whether it can or can not be done, let's assume it can be done and I'm going to do it...where would you suggest I begin I.e. what to buy and where? I want to experiment a lot to find a cure, so if you suggest I buy everything I will. Basically asking for a shopping list for things I need to cure aging. I have the lab equipment, I just need the rest to experiment with.

Edited by IDoNotWantToDie, 05 April 2016 - 02:28 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#2 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

Let me ask you first - what exactly do you define as aging?
You want to buy cell lines and it has been shown in recent years that cell aging and phenotype is easily reversible - at least to the degree we are capable of detecting differences on a cellular level as of yet - and not just by one method, senolyics, parabiosis, stem cell transplantation, reprogramming, etc. That line of research will go on for decades probably.

Really if you want the whole picture of you need a live organism to experiment with. Ideally something longer lived than a rat.

And a way to measure improvement beyond the creature not dying because if it lives long, that means you could wait for a long time to get your answers.

There's some people running labs on the forums, you could try finding some of them and asking them what can be done in a homelab realistically. In fact I remember the major mouse testing program people were looking for homelabs with things to test so once you have an idea I guess at least the testing might be covered, but you seem to be a far ways to go before you reach that point.

So I think the best help you could get is contacting someone with a lab and working on aging, they'll give you some good ideas I bet, and then you'll be able to form your game-plan from there.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 IDoNotWantToDie

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:40 PM

Hello :-) I mean the definition as defined by Dr. Aubrey de Grey " Aging is the set of accumulated side effects from metabolism that eventually kills us." That's a rather simplistic definition of aging as defined by him, but for the sake of this thread I think that will due for now. Mice are good for experiments, but is there nothing else a biohacker can use besides animals to find ways to cure for aging and defeat death? Or must one use mice? Mice are biologically very similar to humans, so why do you suggest something longer living then mice? After all the Methuselah Mouse Prize is doing it, why not biohackers?

#4 IDoNotWantToDie

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

Is there a biohacker forum on the Longevity board? Where can I find these people running labs on this board, I can't seem to find any forums besides this one 'bioscience' to find the people you spoke of who have labs of their own. If so I would love to speak to these individuals on where I can get started with aging research at home. On another topic can't one use blood to extract DNA for human aging research at home? ( using a DNA blood extraction kit? )

#5 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

I've personally never taken an interest in this topic but I know there are at least some people with labs on the forums because LongeCity gives out grants to small and home labs from time to time.

As for test animals - I don't think it's possible to properly study aging without them. A lot of the processes happen in the organs when different cell types interact with each other and their environment, it really is not something that can easily be isolated. That's from my reading on the topics of aging and aging research anyway, a more knowledgeable person is free to correct me on that one.

#6 IDoNotWantToDie

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:41 PM

I will look around and keep my eyes open for others on this forum that may be able to help me. Thanks for your help :-)

You said you read books on the subjects of aging and aging research, are there any books or textbooks you recommend? I have read many books on the subject, but am always looking for new recommendations on those topics.

Edited by IDoNotWantToDie, 06 April 2016 - 11:48 PM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:05 PM

Home labs are extremely valuable for aging research. I often think that if each person on this planet would invest $1 and 1 hour of focused mental energy to the cause of aging, this would be solved in less than 1 year. What's my argument? Species with negligible senescence are all around you, wherever you may live. The difficult thing is to watch the world around you with different eyes. I wouldn't focus so much on genes because we mostly have the same genome from cradle to grave and yet we are young and later on old. What is different is the gene expression.

You mentioned you are interested in books. Since I got so focused on negligible senescence species, I wrote a book called 'The aging gap between species'. You can check the first 2 chapters for free here:

http://books.noisetr...between-species

If you like it, contact me here and I'll give you the whole file to enjoy.

And coming back to home research, I set out my eyes on invertebrates like sea sponges, Hydra, starfish and many related ones that are able to completely regenerate their tissues. Some of them can even do that starting from one cell only. Some amphibians like the axolotl and some cephalopods like the octopus are capable of complete limb regeneration. Humans like all mammals and birds are capable of restricted regeneration and as adults we mostly 'heal' through fibrosis. The latter is a key ingredient of aging.

http://longevitylett...onsible-for-it/

• Agree x 3
  • like x 1

#8 IDoNotWantToDie

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

Just what I was looking for erzebet. I messaged you here yesterday about biohacking and your fascinating book. Thank you, doctor.
  • Agree x 1

#9 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:12 PM

You may want to check into hydras - here is why:

You can place two species of hydra animals in the same environment at a temperature of 10 degrees Celsius. One will age (Hydra oligactis) and the other one won’t (Hydra vulgaris).

Here are the details.

http://longevitylett...-hydra-animals/

• Agree x 1

#10 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

Short-lived and fast aging species are great choices to screen anti-aging interventions: chemical substances, physical factors, biological additions. Once an effect is noticed on short-lived species, gradual-aging ones can be used to test what you screened. And where do you start when you want to screen interventions? You start from those species that ‘know’ what they’re doing: negligibly senescent and long-lived ones.

The secret sauce here is big data.

http://longevitylett...-to-hack-aging/

How-to-hack-aging.jpg

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#11 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

There is one book that sprang to my mind recently.

It's an older one and I've not read it in full, but I remember it had a lot of good info when I read it - The Future of Aging: Pathways to Human Life Extension by Fahy.

• like x 1

#12 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

I would love to get rid of my Alzheimer's genes but wouldn't know where to get started nor how dangerous it would be.

#13 IDoNotWantToDie

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:41 AM

Short-lived and fast aging species are great choices to screen anti-aging interventions: chemical substances, physical factors, biological additions. Once an effect is noticed on short-lived species, gradual-aging ones can be used to test what you screened. And where do you start when you want to screen interventions? You start from those species that ‘know’ what they’re doing: negligibly senescent and long-lived ones.
The secret sauce here is big data.

http://longevitylett...-to-hack-aging/

How-to-hack-aging.jpg

I have been looking for an app , or a computer program ( hopefully open-source ) that can help me search threw thousands , upon thousands, of research papers, but all involving key words only like longevity, senescence, just terms related to life extension in general...so this way I don't have to read one paper at a time on chance, disease, biotech, etc. I could just read the relevant one's with key words within them, thereby be able to narrow down my search to just the MOST relevant papers on human longevity. Perhaps there is a program/app like that already? Or how about a large database just full of longevity related published papers? Or search engines for specific papers of key words I'm interested in? If anyone has any links to databases, search engines or the software/app I mentioned, well please list them for me so I can stop looking all over Google for relevant papers. Obviously it would be much easier if there was some search engine, database full of life extension/longevity material, or software/app that can go threw the published papers for me searching key words only. Basically data mining for life extension material, thanks.

Edited by IDoNotWantToDie, 18 June 2016 - 08:01 AM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#14 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

Start with a Google alert on Google Scholar:

https://scholar.goog...st_alerts&hl=ro

What you actually need is data mining software - here are some free and open source options:

https://en.wikipedia...nd_applications

I can't advise you on any of them because I am still in the process of learning how to use it too. I still rely on reviews mainly because I prefer reading the papers myself. But I know this must change in the future as it is so time-consuming.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: biohacking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users