Morbidly obese

weight loss regimen lose weight diet vascular

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Alphamale

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:53 AM

Searching for help to lose 100 lb...Twenty year old inside the body of a morbidly obese 60 years old. I like to think I am smarter than average, but haven't been "mindful" of food intake. I suspect undiagnosed ADD.

I am now writing down the food I have eaten, and looking at supplements. B C D E K2 Magnesium Ginseng citrulline yohimbine tribulus pycnogenol...running out of room in the pillbox. Trying smoothies with plant based protein powder for breakfast.

I would appreciate input.

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:44 AM

Everyone in my family is morbidly obese except me...  Perhaps I'm the milkman's child?  

Seriously though, I sympathize with your plight, as I've searched in vein for a way to help my sister.  She's already had a heart attack in her mid 50's with two teenage kids that depend on her.  

The only thing I have found that intrigues me is the carb theory...  That it's not how much you eat, but what you eat.  I saw an interesting podcast recently that referenced a "Letter on Corpulence" from the 1800s written by a guy who had gotten slim on a low carb diet recommended by his doc.  I thought it was interesting that the patient was inspired to write this rather than the doc.  

Here's a pdf of it: 

http://www.thefitblo...nCorpulence.pdf

Amazing the secret to losing weight is over a Century old...  Simply eliminate, or greatly reduce carbs!  

Other than this, I have known only one person who was morbidly obese, who lost about all his excess weight and kept it off for many years.  My old Cuban friend Juan was up around 350 for over a decade, and suddenly was slim when I went to visit him again after moving away.  When I asked him how he did it, he said "eating only 2 satisfying meals a day, with no snacking, and drinking nothing but water or (unsweetened!) ice tea in between" was how he accomplished this feat.  He would have black coffee for breakfast, then eat whatever he wanted for lunch, consuming nothing more but water/ice tea till dinner.  He said his dinners were typically smaller than his lunch.  A salad & tuna sandwich or something similar.  Then absolutely nothing after dinner.  

He also said: "eating SLOWLY helped him feel full sooner", reducing the amount of food he would eat during his dinner.  A Caesar salad before his sandwich would start him feeling full before he even started on his sandwich, and by the time he finished his sandwich, he was done and felt full.  I've noticed my brother and sister tend to WOLF down their meals, often consuming a tremendous amount of food in a very short time.  I've always been a slow, picky eater, and I'm skinny!  

Supplements to kill appetite?  Well, at 60 years of age, I find I need a little something to help me resist the urge to nap at work after lunch.  I found a combination caffeine & green tea extract supplement at Rite Aid that was dirt cheap at around $10, and have noticed it tends to kill my appetite for several hours. It's not in the "magic weight loss" area, but mixed in with the nutritional supplements. I imagine strong black coffee might do the same.  The stand alone caffeine pills are much more expensive.  The combo pills (caffeine & GTE) are hard to find, but much cheaper. They were down near the floor in the alphabetically listed herbal supplements area.  

Hope you find a way back to a slimmer you, and find my little post helpful.

Edited by synesthesia, 12 April 2016 - 06:20 AM.

• Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

Weight training is mandatory, otherwise dieting will cause loss of muscle-mass which will lead into reduced Basal Metabolic Rate, which makes keeping the weight off more difficult. 

• Good Point x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#4 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:53 AM

"eating only 2 satisfying meals a day, with no snacking, and drinking nothing but water or (unsweetened!) ice tea in between"

Here you go, as simple as you can get it.

It doesn't really matters how much do you eat those two meals a day, to certain extent it doesn't even matters so much what you do eat, the real point is NO SNACKING and NO BEVERAGES but water!

All overweight people maintain they eat very tiny meals but they are just unlucky and keep putting on weight...

It is usually true they do eat tiny meals but they are CONSTANTLY chewing on something, that jaw is never still, always munching on some food or garbage.

I can explain you why that is the real only reason why you do get fat and it is because doing so causes a constant insulin peak which in turn makes you fat, insulin resistant...and diabetic.

Drinking sodas achieves the same results...and no, the no sugar alternatives are not viable, drink just water.

Leave alone artificial sweeteners,

Start weight lifting.

Sleep at least 9 hours every night.

De-stress yourself as much as you can and some more, maybe start some form of meditation.

After all this is securely in place we may start talking about reducing carbs AND increasing calories, yes, you did read well, INCREASING CALORIES.

Starving is definitely not what leads to permanent results.

It is much easier than you think.

the urge to nap at work after lunch

That is because the insulin peak caused by carbs, avoid carbs in that lunch and issue solved, coffee is not the right solution.

Don't simply eliminate carbs, substitute them with more proteins and fats instead, probably calories would go up but it doesn't matter.

• Well Written x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#5 YOLF

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

There are telemedicine doctors that prescribe hCG over the internet, some just for buying it... easy diagnosis, if you're buying a weight loss product, you must need it :)

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#6 corkobo

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

OP, I don't know if the input you want is about diet or only about Supplements.

This being the Supplements forum I will presume for now that you only care about Supplements.

I'm 49yo and have been overweight (around 10-15 kg or so) for about 12-13 years. I got worse since I stopped smoking 11 years ago.

In the past 4-5 years I tried to lose this extra weight, with some success, but in the holidays (either summer and/or winter) the weight comes back (no mystery I just overeat and indulge in cakes and generally rich yummy food). I never reached my "ideal" weight, the best I got was to only 4 kg of it.

I have tried many supplements. All the ones you list except yohimbine and many others.

For me, nothing seemed to stand out.

As long as I stuck to a diet (I tried about 3-4 over the years, Atkins, 4HB, 5/2, PHD, mainly LC but some other experiments as well) I lost weight, at various speeds.

When I slacked on the observance of the diet (and of course when I stopped altogether) I put on weight. All the while taking the supplements.

This year I'm trying again.

So far it's working beyond my expectations, faster than the last few times, and I'm approaching the weight where I usually stall every time, except that it was a lot faster this time (more than 2 months left until summer hols when it's one of my "indulgence 2 weeks" time).

This time I am NOT taking supplements that target weight loss, only ones that I think I need because normal diet is otherwise deficient (A, C, D, K, Mg, Boron, plus some Cr, Zn, B Cplx, Se but these last few not daily).

So, for me, it's not about weight loss supplements anymore.

If your question was NOT only about supplements then please say so and I can tell you what diet I follow, and how it's working so far, it's not a secret (though it's not fashionable so I may get some "ill informed" marks).

#7 YOLF

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

I'd say go on a fasting diet for a few weeks and see what nutrient deficiencies you develop. That'll tell you if you're eating for increased nutrient absorption. I know nicotine increases bioavailability of iron and perhaps more.

Other than that, I think you can bump up your thyroid function with iodine and NAT (n-acetyl-tyrosine), that could help you lose some weight, see if you can get your T levels topped off to highest levels possible for your age range. Lower and it will lead to cancer risks and more. 

• dislike x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:36 AM

OP, I'll suggest something different than a lot of what you're hearing.  Go easy on yourself.  The greatest diet and exercise program in the world will not work if you can't stick to them.  I think fasting and boot-camp style abusive exercise programs are a recipe for failure.   It's very likely that you need to change the way you eat and get more exercise.  I doubt that comes as a surprise to you.  There are easy and hard ways to do both of these; the easier path is the one that you'll be less likely to quit.  On the diet front, nutritionists are fond of saying "A Calorie is a Calorie."  That's true if you're a calorimeter, not so much if you are a human.  The substance that causes most of the weight gain in the modern developed world is sugar.  In particular, it is fructose or sucrose (a compound composed of fructose and glucose), when those sugars are in a highly bioavailable form.  "Highly bioavailable", in this case, means highly purified, particularly when dissolved in water.  The most obesogenic substance in the typical persons' diet is the sugary drink.  Soda is an obvious thing to avoid, but fruit juice is almost as bad as soda.  Other examples are fancy coffee-based drinks, chai lattes, commercial smoothies, and other such things.  If you drink any of these, look for a healthier substitute that you'll still enjoy.  Soda water is a good substitute for sugared soda; coffee with splenda and half & half is sugar-free and satisfying as a substitute for a high-dollar, high-sugar Starbucks creation.  Half & half has some calories, but the satisfaction to calorie ratio is very high.    Artificial sweeteners would be ok there.  The idea is to create a lifestyle that you can live with happily, not a grueling weight-loss regimen that you'll hate.  A good way to start the process of fixing your diet is to zero in on the sugar.  Artificial sweeteners are ok, but try to combine them with real food, as sweet tastes can signal the body that food is on the way.  There are some sources of sugar that are ok--  Fruit contains fructose, but it also contains the "antidote" to the fructose, in the form of fiber.  It's easy to drink the equivalent of half a dozen oranges or apples in the form of juice, but very hard to eat that many as whole fruit.  Skip the juice, but eat all the fruit you want.  Get into the habit of reading labels.  Sugar is the first thing I look at. 

Experimental psychologists have shown that willpower is something that we have a limited amount of.  If you spend a lot of time in a house full of cookies, before long you will use up your willpower and will eat the cookies.  If there are no cookies in the house, not only will you not eat the cookies, but you won't drain your reserve of willpower so it will be available to say no to the occasional junk food you might encounter.  If you have the ability to change your environment to reduce temptations, it will help tremendously.

Exercise needs to start with your body as it is today.  No one would ask a beginning body builder to bench three hundred pounds; if someone tries to make you do pushups or pull-ups, tell them it ain't happening.   Weight lifting is important, but you have to start with a weight that you can lift.  Try to shoot for a weight that you can do about ten reps with.   At your age, you will build muscle rapidly; you might be surprised if you've never lifted.  Walking is a good exercise that you can do anywhere.  As you get in better shape you can increase distance and/or pace, so you can tune the effort to your current level of fitness.  Even if you have to start exercising with three pound dumbells and walking 50 feet, you start where you're at and move up from there.  If possible, try to join a gym that emphasizes normal people rather than fanatical bodybuilders.   If you become a fanatical bodybuilder, that would be great, and you can always find a new gym if you want to go that route.

• Well Written x 2
  • like x 2

#9 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

Great post by niner especially on the exercise. Getting into regular exercise is better than than going fanatic and drop out. I like the treadmill and similar machines with calorie meters. It puts real perspective on the calories you eat and helps to stay away from a snack...you dont want your hour of sweat to be wasted in a 5 minutes eating event.

On the eating I am a bit more aggressive. Try to get into a habit of skipping a lunch, breakfast or both. Some fasting style "habits" are also good for the overall health. I have noticed that if I am really busy I dont even realize I missed lunch time. So plan all your activities, meetings, visits, trip during lunch time and before you know it its already dinner time.

#10 YOLF

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

Well, I guess the best thing to do is fund BioViva. They have a weight loss gene therapy. It's ~$100k right now, but they do want to make it much less expensive. I'd be more than happy to "test" it myself :) Though I'm thinking it's just the primate gene therapy being used in humans, it could already be cheaper if it can be found.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Informative x 1

#11 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:35 PM

here an article about the possible impact of fisetin on obesity linking it to SIRT1 deficiency.

http://www.timelessl...treat-obesity/ 

#12 Alphamale

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:42 PM

Thank you for your posts; I am happy to get the feedback. I am interested in getting your input about diet. It appears there are no mainstream supplements that can address weight loss, except those that increase your energy level (such as caffeine and yohimbine).

I had to laugh when I read "The effects of yohimbine are partially negated by food intake, which is why it is often taken in a fasted state."

So far, I am taking the following steps:

- 3 meals per day with light snacks between meals

- Increase protein and reduce carbs

- Increase exercise

- Reduce the number of supplements to the basics (the others had a nominal effect that diminished within a couple weeks).

#13 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:07 PM

It seems that you don't get the most important point: NO SNACKS BETWEEN MEALS!

It is amazing how people conceive possible to change outcomes without changing habits....

Do yourself a favor: read again my previous post until you fully understand it!

Do you really feel happier spending money on supplements?

Try glutamine (at least 10g/day) and chromium picolinate, they MIGHT mildly help with cravings between meals.

No, there is not such a thing like pop a pill and loose 100lbs (not even 5lb for that matter).

Your obesity is all in your brain, the sooner you face it the better.

• dislike x 2

#14 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:00 PM

Thank you for your posts; I am happy to get the feedback. I am interested in getting your input about diet. It appears there are no mainstream supplements that can address weight loss, except those that increase your energy level (such as caffeine and yohimbine).

I had to laugh when I read "The effects of yohimbine are partially negated by food intake, which is why it is often taken in a fasted state."

- Increase exercise

- Reduce the number of supplements to the basics (the others had a nominal effect that diminished within a couple weeks).

I reread the article I posted. The way I understand it is that:

1) SIRT1 is below normal level in obese persons causing a cascade of problems

2) SIRT1 activation slows fat cell creation that ultimately should result in weight loss

3) SIRT1 is activated by fisetin which also may have other beneficial roles to improve the inhibition of fat cell creation

fisetin you can buy in many shops e.g. swanson as a supplement. Other SIRT1 activators are Nicotinamide Riboside and the famous Calorie Restriction. I dont think you can go wrong with any of those. Just use the doising on the label.

#15 YOLF

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:39 PM

It seems that you don't get the most important point: NO SNACKS BETWEEN MEALS!

It is amazing how people conceive possible to change outcomes without changing habits....

Do yourself a favor: read again my previous post until you fully understand it!

Do you really feel happier spending money on supplements?

Try glutamine (at least 10g/day) and chromium picolinate, they MIGHT mildly help with cravings between meals.

No, there is not such a thing like pop a pill and loose 100lbs (not even 5lb for that matter).

Your obesity is all in your brain, the sooner you face it the better.

Obesity really isn't just in your head. It is part of you. You're designed for it. Some families just have lots of it... You can slow it down, resist it, and all sorts of things but it comes down to genetics and childhood habits. 3% of people with obesity lose weight and keep it off. I'm not saying it's ok to be a fat acceptor, NEVER accept disease and things that shorten your lifespan or quality of life.

BioViva has a gene therapy that will help when it becomes available to the public, or if you have the money for it. Otherwise you can use FBCX or other alpha cyclodextrin products along with white kidney bean extract. The first makes fats indigestible and removes them as a solid, and the second does similar for sugars. Between the two, you can eat more without stressing yourself. Other than that, take stuff that motivates and reduces cravings. 

#16 YOLF

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:44 PM

- Increase exercise

I reread the article I posted. The way I understand it is that:

1) SIRT1 is below normal level in obese persons causing a cascade of problems

2) SIRT1 activation slows fat cell creation that ultimately should result in weight loss

3) SIRT1 is activated by fisetin which also may have other beneficial roles to improve the inhibition of fat cell creation

fisetin you can buy in many shops e.g. swanson as a supplement. Other SIRT1 activators are Nicotinamide Riboside and the famous Calorie Restriction. I dont think you can go wrong with any of those. Just use the doising on the label.

So which SIRT1 activator gives the biggest bang for the buck? Don't forget about Resveratrol.

#17 YOLF

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:50 PM

Regarding Fisetin:

http://www.longecity...aling/?p=771834

Darryl is insisting fisetin needs to be taken at high doses, much higher than is reasonably available and that MTOR1C means reducing immunity. Obesity is associated with immune disorders, normalizing the pathway could be advantageous.

I'm unfamiliar with scaling using calories as Darryl did. Any other opinions?

#18 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

Right....but as a top professor endocrinologist once said I have yet to see a fat person coming out of Auschwitz.

Genes and all do play a role, of course, but nutrition and lifestyle are by far the main cause of obesity (and those are in your head).

It means there are individuals able stay reasonably lean even following horrible nutrition an lifestyle (lean doesn't necessarily mean healthy) and individuals in need of a stricter discipline, i am not so sure whom are the luckiest.

To try to hack your genes or whatever with drugs or supplements at the present time is likely to only create more issues than good.

Keep it simple and implement healthier habits, obesity, unlike someone likes you to believe, is not a disease but a status of mind.

• Agree x 1

#19 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:50 AM

- Increase exercise

A good start, but the snacks between meals will really kill any progress.  If you eat satisfying meals, you shouldn't need to snack between meals.  

Regarding exercise...  Nothing wrong with this, but I've read articles describing how many miles you'd need to run to offset the effect of a single high calorie slip.  Relying on exercise to offset snacking is losing weight the hard way.  

I also had a room mate who would "reward" himself after eating a lean cuisine frozen dinner with little (high calorie) treats.  Didn't work.  You need satisfying, healthy meals with nothing in between for best results.  

Amazing how many people never drink water...  I never did myself for many years, but frequently do now.  Ice tea is my other option (unsweetened of course!).  Eliminating sweet drinks may be half the battle won if you are a frequent flyer with sodas.  Cutting high fructose corn syrup to zero should be a no brainer.  

2 substantial, filling meals a day might also be better than 3 skimpy meals.  Just a thought.  Imagine not worrying about diet and eating as you please twice a day, compared to always counting calories 3 times a day.  A plausible option?  

#20 YOLF

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

Right....but as a top professor endocrinologist once said I have yet to see a fat person coming out of Auschwitz.

Genes and all do play a role, of course, but nutrition and lifestyle are by far the main cause of obesity (and those are in your head).

It means there are individuals able stay reasonably lean even following horrible nutrition an lifestyle (lean doesn't necessarily mean healthy) and individuals in need of a stricter discipline, i am not so sure whom are the luckiest.

To try to hack your genes or whatever with drugs or supplements at the present time is likely to only create more issues than good.

Keep it simple and implement healthier habits, obesity, unlike someone likes you to believe, is not a disease but a status of mind.

I recall a study that followed a population that was starved and their offspring. They all got fat. Starving will produce results, but it will damage health in the long term. CR and IF might be a bit different, but it's mostly skinny ppl who succeed at it long term. 

Like I said though, healthier habits don't produce sustainable results. We're built for food scarcity and/or set in our habits and state of mind. What we've done so far is virtually useless... struggle to get fit for a short time and gain even more back. Those are the most common results. Weight loss is risky, if it's going to get worse. GT couldn't be much worse... these are genes that we know work, it's about getting a copy of what makes the healthy skinny ppl skinny and healthy. If it works, it works. if it doesn't we can delete it. We have the technology.

Products will get better with time, but only GT is going to make it as easy as it needs to be.

Edited by YOLF, 26 April 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#21 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

See http://www.longecity...ng/#entry771843 with regard to fisetin and scaling.

As for weight loss, the low carb diet works for me.  Though not overweight, my BMI has been high normal.  Fearing pre-diabetes I eliminated pasta, rice, anything with sugar.  Other carbs in small amounts and with caution.  Without trying, I lost 5 pounds without losing muscle mass.  My doctor prescribes such a diet to his over-weight patients,  The most I know one to have lost on an extreme version of this diet is 30 pounds in 3 months.,

Note the weight loss is slower after 3 months, but none of his patients were morbidly obese, just overweight.

#22 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

Simple documentation of what I'm eating works well for me. I bought a notebook, a pen, and write down today's date and I list what I eat. I watch my eating behavior as if observing a gorilla in the mist: no judgements, I simply list the foods.

Maybe it'll work for you? What's to lose? Try it for a week. Do this for a week or longer, and slowly you may notice the list begins to change as you learn more about what you're actually eating. Most people -- and this is one of the big challenges of nutrition science -- misreport what they eat and how much and when they eat it. They may exaggerate intake of the foods they think that others judging them believe are healthy; they may downplay, forget the junk food they ate.

Also: fast. Stop eating. No need to tell anyone, publicize, be a dramatic Christ-hero in the desert about it. Water-only fasts will come much more naturally to your body than you're lead to believe by the food industry and media society. We've millions of years of near-starving built right into us. Fasting is mostly psychological; the body is smarter than we are. Fasting will also reset hundreds of biochemical aspects not yet fully understood -- or even bothered by career-ladder scientists to attempt understanding. Fasting will change the way food smells, tastes, moves within and out of the body: you'll stop taking food for granted when you stop eating food.

The trickier part of fasting is the refeeding stage after the fast. Refeed carefully, mindful not to gorge, mindful to keep unconscious blind chewing habits to re-dominate again. Refeed with a plant based diet: greens, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains. These are the foods with the most evidence promoting disease prevention and healthy maintenance. Strive to meet RDA requirements, and supplement the shortfalls: vitamins D, B12, biotin, this gets very personalized. Cronometer is helpful.

Try it for awhile, and give yourself love and respect for attempting to do what's difficult -- living a healthy life within a sick society.
  • like x 1

#23 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:51 PM

See http://www.longecity...ng/#entry771843 with regard to fisetin and scaling.

As for weight loss, the low carb diet works for me.  Though not overweight, my BMI has been high normal.  Fearing pre-diabetes I eliminated pasta, rice, anything with sugar.  Other carbs in small amounts and with caution.  Without trying, I lost 5 pounds without losing muscle mass.  My doctor prescribes such a diet to his over-weight patients,  The most I know one to have lost on an extreme version of this diet is 30 pounds in 3 months.,

Note the weight loss is slower after 3 months, but none of his patients were morbidly obese, just overweight.

Just looked up that study. Its a high dose indeed. In swansons they sell it 13USD for 3gram:

http://www.swansonvi...om/q?kw=fisetin

Edited by stefan_001, 26 April 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#24 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

I'd like to repeat that weight-training is practically mandatory if one wants to keep the weight off after the dieting-phase is over. I don't know why my comment was marked as "ill informed". 

#25 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:13 PM

90% of the ill informed quotes are left by really ill informed people, therefore just ignore it.

The intelligent person doesn't just leave an anonymous disapproving quote but write its own post in the attempt of a constructive critic.

A constructive critic is always appreciated even if not necessarily agreed on, anonymous negative quotes are from loosers whom don't deserve attention since eventually they don't have anything interesting to say. 

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#26 vader

• 243 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

here is the supplement stack for weight loss:

nicotine

caffeine

pseudoephedrine

exercise stack:

running 60 minutes a day / cycling 80 minutes a day

walking 60 - 90 minutes a day, moderate tempo

diet stack:

high carb, low fat

no dairy

no alcohol above 40 - 50 grams a day

no high gluten grains (eat barley, rye, potatoes, some cheerios & raw cacao maybe)

low on beans & meat, but not zero

2000 calories MAX a day

Start the day with lactulose & sorbitol & caffeine / nicotine till bowel exhaustion, emptying your bowels fully.

This protocol made me lose 60+ pounds easily.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#27 corkobo

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

...I am happy to get the feedback. I am interested in getting your input about diet....

I essentially follow a High-Carb Low(ish) Fat diet built around potatoes (but not only).

I combine this with daily IF (I have no breakfast, eat at a 12:30 - 13:00 lunch and then dinner at about 19:30).

The potatoes fill me up, I genuinely am almost never hungry.

In fact, I started cooking all sorts of casseroles and porridges (with beans, lentils, grains as well as some other vegetables for taste) because I found it difficult to eat enough potatoes to go over 1000-1200 kcal per day.

I do not eat sugar, bread or pasta and I eat very little rice (and not by itself). I do not eat any pre-cooked food, and do not use processed ingredients, I cook everything from basic ingredients (mostly vegetable matter now but I'm not a vegetarian).

One day (sometimes 2 days) in the weekend I eat meat or fish, some butter, generally higher fat but even then I do not binge. I even have some desert (moderately, not like in the past when I ate a tub of ice cream by myself).

I do some exercise (body-weight only) not to burn calories or to put on muscles but rather to try to preserve as much muscle as possible while losing weight (thus hopefully losing fat). On the days when I exercise (2 or 3 days per week) I also have some eggs, yogurt and maybe some cheese just after the workout. The other week days is just potato and other plant food.

If interested in these things, my average daily kcal is 1,400 (this includes the weekend higher intake) and my average caloric intake percentage is approx. 15% Prot, 60% Carb, 25% Fat.

I log my food intake and weight daily and it helps to keep me motivated. I do need help with staying on the diet as there are many opportunities for me to eat sweets, biscuits, cakes, etc. almost every day.

I drink black coffee (2-3 a day) and water, sometimes green tea (once every 2 days or so). The rest, water.

It helps that I can eat monotonously for days at a time.

This way of eating is so simple, I don't have to think much about it and that removes some of the stress.

So far I've lost about 0.5kg per week for the first 2 weeks and then 1kg per week for the last 5 weeks. It cannot last, I know, but I'll keep it going as long as I can.

The moment I stall for 2 weeks I'm going to try 5 days of FMD (Fast Mimicking Diet) to see how that works for me.

I realize that most people go for Low Carb and I did the same in the past and that worked for me to some extent so I cannot say it was bad.

It's just that this year I decided to experiment with this HCLF-Potato based model as I could see no downsides and so far it has exceeded my most optimistic expectations.

As for obesity being in the mind, I believe that probably a big part of it is in the mind but I also think that the mind is not quite as in control as it likes to believe.

Hormones, habit, smells, memories, micro-nutrient deficiencies, advertising, peer pressure, stress, etc. all influence decision making to some extent.

It's not impossible to reverse obesity but it is very hard.

It has to be, otherwise nobody would be obese, I think the great majority of obese people do not want to be fat.

Anyway, sorry for the overlong post Alphamale and good luck with whichever diet you choose.

• Agree x 1

#28 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

It has to be, otherwise nobody would be obese, I think the great majority of obese people do not want to be fat.

What it is very hard is to change those habits leading to be obese because people (all people, not just obese) want to change outcomes but don't want to change habits, which is just impossible.

Obese whom get reasonably lean and than return back to be obese do MOMENTARILY change habits and than return back to their old habits, that's why there are infinite strategies all leading to loose weight (it is not rocket science) but only what can be implemented indefinitely actually makes sense (and that is a bit trickier).

You are the first to admit what you do is not sustainable in the long run, I am sorry for you but failure is the only outcome possible, you'll get a bit leaner just to get back to square one in no time...with some metabolic damage done in the process which likely would make even harder next time you'll try again. 

#29 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:11 PM

What it is very hard is to change those habits leading to be obese because people (all people, not just obese) want to change outcomes but don't want to change habits, which is just impossible.

Obese whom get reasonably lean and than return back to be obese do MOMENTARILY change habits and than return back to their old habits, that's why there are infinite strategies all leading to loose weight (it is not rocket science) but only what can be implemented indefinitely actually makes sense (and that is a bit trickier).

You are the first to admit what you do is not sustainable in the long run, I am sorry for you but failure is the only outcome possible, you'll get a bit leaner just to get back to square one in no time...with some metabolic damage done in the process which likely would make even harder next time you'll try again. 

I think you simplify it too much. Some people can eat careless and they dont gain....some do gain. That doesnt take away that either or you need to do something with your habits.There are quite a few reports linking low SIRT1 to obesity so SIRT1 boosting may be something to do in parallel

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

Even if that is the case what would be the safer and more reliable way to boost SIRT1 if not changing habits?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weight loss regimen, lose, weight, diet, vascular

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users