- - - - -

Getting Lab Work - Need some suggestions

thyroid adhd lab work

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chris87

• 35 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

I was wondering if someone could help me. I would like to get lab work done, but I'm not sure what I should request. I don't feel well mentally and want to see if anything is abnormal. My major problem is ADHD issues. I procrastinate horribly, can't focus, and have no motivation. I also have minor OCD and some social anxiety. I eat a plant-based diet (vegan), so I thought it would be worthwhile to check B12. I was thinking that maybe I have an iodine deficiency, but I wasn't sure if that's possible. I don't used iodized salt, and I don't know if there are sources in my diet.

I am thinking about the following: CBC, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Thyroid Panel w/TSH, Lipids, Testosterone, Iodine (if possible?)

Is there anything else that I should consider? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

#2 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:31 PM

I'd probably add homocysteine and testosterone (if you're male).  Maybe iron if you think you are protein malnourished.

Edited by prophets, 14 April 2016 - 07:31 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:34 PM

An Iodine deficiency is even very likely with an inland plant-based diet. But difficult to find a doc who tests for. Just to go sure would get some supplemental iodine anyway. TSH is a pituitary hormone and might tell little about your thyroid. Free T3 and free T4 is what you have to check, along with thyroid antibodies.

Further electrolytes (calcium, sodium, potassium, chloride and phosphate), iron markers (serum iron, ferritin, transferrin, TSAT), serum folate, kidney function (creatinine, bun, uric acid, GFR), liver enzymes (GOT, GPT, GGT, APH, LDH), HbA1c, Homocystein and CRP are the basics.

PS: If possible to get, a RBC magnesium test too.

Edited by pamojja, 14 April 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#4 chris87

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm adding all of these tests to my list. I'm too anxious to go to my primary care doctor, so I'm going to order them online. Can you tell me the difference between free and total testosterone? Should I get one or both? I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm a 28 year old male.

I'm definitely getting a full thyroid panel (Free T3, T4, Reverse T3, and TPO). My hands always seem like their cold, and I don't know if it's possibly thyroid related.

#5 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

Can you tell me the difference between free and total testosterone? Should I get one or both? I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm a 28 year old male.

Your age would set out with a total testosterone first. If lowish, get free testosterone and estradiol later. Free is the physiologic active, total also measures whats bound up with sex hormone binding globuline (SHBG) and albumin. Forget to mention cortisol and DHEAS might be worthwhile to get as well.

Edited by pamojja, 14 April 2016 - 08:48 PM.

#6 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:38 AM

KPU - test (about zinc, b6)

#7 Michael Rian

• 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

i would highly recommend getting your Testosterone levels checked. I had to convince my Doctor to check mine, and its silly that it takes so much effort to "convince" Doctors to test for things, but it turns out I was correct.  My Testosterone levels were very low and since starting Testosterone Replacement therapy, I have felt much better.  Libido is coming back, confidence is coming back, energy is coming back, ect.

I had to "convince" my Doctor to check my iron levels as well. Turns out I am in the anemic range and have since started to supplement iron pills. I believe this adds to combating the fatigue I was experiencing. 

Its hard to find Doctors these days, especially ones who are taking new patients and are willing to actually test for the root of problems instead of throwing random pills at guesses.

My experience, Doctors never want to hear about studys, pub med acrticles, and %100 legit areas of investigation.  Either they are lazy, stubborn, brainwashed by the archaic medical system, or a combination of the 3.

Never give up trying to learn things on your own, always consider a second opinion, and believe in yourself and the education you can do on your own.

good luck

#8 chris87

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I priced the tests at one of the online lab providers, and the total is ~$450.00. Does that seem reasonable? I will get a few more quotes. I wish that I didn't have to spend so much money, but I feel like I don't have a choice.

Edited by chris87, 15 April 2016 - 04:49 PM.

#9 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

I would do that.. Ive spent last week 2000 euros for many blood saliva tests .. Saving money for a long time but it will pay off

#10 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I priced the tests at one of the online lab providers, and the total is ~$450.00. Does that seem reasonable? I will get a few more quotes. I wish that I didn't have to spend so much money, but I feel like I don't have a choice.

Be patient, and get all you can get through your GP and insurance (if you have). Serum or blood test values might show fluctuations for completely different reasons than expected. According to some of mine I should have be clinically death when reading the results...

You get a much accurate picture with repeated tests, though some things might show up prominent already on your first. You definitely want to retest, so save as much as you can.

Edited by pamojja, 16 April 2016 - 12:51 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#11 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

www.privatemdlabs.com is what I've used in the past.  They have a 15% discount code every month.  The April code is P7362D.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thyroid, adhd, lab work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users