• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

John Gray's ''reality check of promising technologies''

cryonics problems war economy human factor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: John Gray's ''reality check of promising technologies'' (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Is he right?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (6 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ADHD

• 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:06 PM

Just wanted to share this video. 

I do not take sides here, I don't have a lot of interest in these questions really. Im mostly reading the brain health part of the forum...

I thought however that he made some good arguments. The ones about cryonics and the ecomomic and social stability was rather convincing. Would find it interesting to get your view on it tough,

#2 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:21 AM

I have little doubt that the 1% will benefit in the very near future from intra-cranial magnetic stimulation that will increase their intelligence and memory far beyond what what perviously possible for their years.  That IS a reality now.

I also believe longevity treatments, as are cosmetic treatments, will be driven by the 1%.  The ramifications will be that the gap between the rich and poor will increase even more.  Most longevity treatments will be either prohibitively expensive, or will be kept so.

What will that mean for our future?

Who knows?  It always takes individuals of rare charisma and personality to rally the 99% into action.  Great revolutionaries are few and far in between.

I'm always shocked, given the condition of most rust belt inner cities in the U.S. that there isn't whole scale rioting a la Los Angeles circa Rodney King.  What do these marginalized people have to lose?!

Bottom line is the vast majority of the disenfranchised, no matter how intolerable their situation, no matter how little hope they have, fear death more.

#3 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

Don't listen to that guy John Gray. 

It is only needed his sentence for the purpose of life to understand, that he is just a lazy, old, senile, idiot witgh absolutely absent will for development and growth. 

"to live just long enough to do what i want to do ; to see what i want to see ; to enjoy what i've wanted to enjoy;.. " "a type of completion. "

His life is to fuck several (maybe high class) whore bitches, to get drunk several times with the best alcohol he may get, to go to several high class coupons, to eat like a pig several times, and that's all. I won't be surprised if he does not mind to shoot himself in the head right now in this moment. He is absolutely missing any long term ideas for a better life. 

If his needs were for example to read all of the good books, then he would notice, that he can't do that, because new books will always appear. And there always will be another good book waiting to come out after the moment of his death in the limited life. Simmilarly he can't watch all of the good movies, can't listen to all of the good songs, can't get the best of any joy, because all types of joy develope, and there always will be maximum at the timepoint of his death. Thus he can't ecven fuck, drink, coupon and eat enough. He is screwed in his birth. There is no best joy in a finite life. 

I wonder how such senilized cretenoids are still in a job as a big scale phylosophers, and take the plce of really progressive minds. 

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 ADHD

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

I have little doubt that the 1% will benefit in the very near future from intra-cranial magnetic stimulation that will increase their intelligence and memory far beyond what what perviously possible for their years.  That IS a reality now.

I also believe longevity treatments, as are cosmetic treatments, will be driven by the 1%.  The ramifications will be that the gap between the rich and poor will increase even more.  Most longevity treatments will be either prohibitively expensive, or will be kept so.

What will that mean for our future?

Who knows?  It always takes individuals of rare charisma and personality to rally the 99% into action.  Great revolutionaries are few and far in between.

I'm always shocked, given the condition of most rust belt inner cities in the U.S. that there isn't whole scale rioting a la Los Angeles circa Rodney King.  What do these marginalized people have to lose?!

Bottom line is the vast majority of the disenfranchised, no matter how intolerable their situation, no matter how little hope they have, fear death more

Hmm... I think that it would be really weird if the lower classes in society would not get a revolution started if the question was immortality. Many people are afraid of death for some reason and would do anything to avoid it. The 1% would not be able to keep it to themselfs. It might work for the super rich if only the 0,01% get it and keep it a secret.. But it would become obvious after a while lol....

Don't listen to that guy John Gray. 

It is only needed his sentence for the purpose of life to understand, that he is just a lazy, old, senile, idiot witgh absolutely absent will for development and growth. 

"to live just long enough to do what i want to do ; to see what i want to see ; to enjoy what i've wanted to enjoy;.. " "a type of completion. "

His life is to fuck several (maybe high class) whore bitches, to get drunk several times with the best alcohol he may get, to go to several high class coupons, to eat like a pig several times, and that's all. I won't be surprised if he does not mind to shoot himself in the head right now in this moment. He is absolutely missing any long term ideas for a better life. 

If his needs were for example to read all of the good books, then he would notice, that he can't do that, because new books will always appear. And there always will be another good book waiting to come out after the moment of his death in the limited life. Simmilarly he can't watch all of the good movies, can't listen to all of the good songs, can't get the best of any joy, because all types of joy develope, and there always will be maximum at the timepoint of his death. Thus he can't ecven fuck, drink, coupon and eat enough. He is screwed in his birth. There is no best joy in a finite life. 

I wonder how such senilized cretenoids are still in a job as a big scale phylosophers, and take the plce of really progressive minds. 

But isn't a good book just something you like? The contents of the book are really irrelevant. Only the chemicals released in your brain matters. So why would it really exist a need for new books? What if one strives for imortality their whole lives and doesn't make it? Is it worth more to live a short but really nice life or risk that looking for immortality which might not be available anyway? Then that time is wasted and you've lived less than you could've. But I guess you can think of it as something of a arguement similair to veganism that everybody is sitting around and eating meat anyway because everyone else does... Which I ofcourse is strongly against... hmmm...

#5 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:28 AM

150 years ago the 1% were the only people with electricity in their homes.

100 years ago the 1% were the only people with a car.

50 years ago the 1% were  the only people with a car that could safely do 160 km/h on a highway.

25 years ago the 1% were the only people with mobile phones.

Can you imagine the world we live in right now without those things?

As for the risks of looking for a longer life ... what risks?

Not wishing for something simply because you're afraid you will not get it, just means you are completely stunted and have no dreams and aspirations.

It's not a surprising stance, whenever something is currently impossible for humanity the mass of people just prefer to believe it will remain impossible and at best something they can't personally achieve.

As far as I'm concerned, that's escapism.

#6 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:06 AM

.... The contents of the book are really irrelevant. Only the chemicals released in your brain matters. So why would it really exist a need for new books? What if one strives for imortality their whole lives and doesn't make it? Is it worth more to live a short but really nice life or risk that looking for immortality which might not be available anyway? Then that time is wasted and you've lived less than you could've. But I guess you can think of it as something of a arguement similair to veganism that everybody is sitting around and eating meat anyway because everyone else does... Which I ofcourse is strongly against... hmmm...

If it is only the chemicals in the brain that matters, then in a never ending life, your brain will find a way to have a never ending supply of chemicals. 

The immortality is possible. The pathways are already clear. It is only a developmental problem today - to make them happen. For example the transplants made from stem cells. The nice life and the looking for a way to immortality can be united.

#7 ADHD

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

150 years ago the 1% were the only people with electricity in their homes.

100 years ago the 1% were the only people with a car.

50 years ago the 1% were  the only people with a car that could safely do 160 km/h on a highway.

25 years ago the 1% were the only people with mobile phones.

Can you imagine the world we live in right now without those things?

As for the risks of looking for a longer life ... what risks?

Not wishing for something simply because you're afraid you will not get it, just means you are completely stunted and have no dreams and aspirations.

It's not a surprising stance, whenever something is currently impossible for humanity the mass of people just prefer to believe it will remain impossible and at best something they can't personally achieve.

As far as I'm concerned, that's escapism.

I was talking about a person spending their own time trying to make this possible. Not simply wishing for it. That's too easy, it just means ju are completely stunted and have no dreams and aspirations. Sitting around and wishing for stuff never got anything done. Now if the persons who is working for this don't reach their goal their personal effort and time is wasted. Im not saying we shouldn't strive to make this happend I'm neutral to that but I sure won't be risking years of my time. You make it seem like this will happend without large amounts of effort.

.... The contents of the book are really irrelevant. Only the chemicals released in your brain matters. So why would it really exist a need for new books? What if one strives for imortality their whole lives and doesn't make it? Is it worth more to live a short but really nice life or risk that looking for immortality which might not be available anyway? Then that time is wasted and you've lived less than you could've. But I guess you can think of it as something of a arguement similair to veganism that everybody is sitting around and eating meat anyway because everyone else does... Which I ofcourse is strongly against... hmmm...

If it is only the chemicals in the brain that matters, then in a never ending life, your brain will find a way to have a never ending supply of chemicals. 

The immortality is possible. The pathways are already clear. It is only a developmental problem today - to make them happen. For example the transplants made from stem cells. The nice life and the looking for a way to immortality can be united.

Go pitch it to the 1% then :)

#8 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

Wasting your time? Do you somehow manage to live without working? It's not really a choice for most people.

If you have the right education you can help directly and get paid for it.

If you don't you can simply donate a bit of money to the cause so that the people capable of working on it can do that.

You sound a bit too hedonistic for your own good.

#9 Delusional

• 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

What do you guys think of this old discussion topic?!

http://www.longecity...nd-immortality/

• Enjoying the show x 1

#10 ADHD

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:13 PM

Wasting your time? Do you somehow manage to live without working? It's not really a choice for most people.

If you have the right education you can help directly and get paid for it.

If you don't you can simply donate a bit of money to the cause so that the people capable of working on it can do that.

You sound a bit too hedonistic for your own good.

Living without working is easy. You can can make that choice. I have no means of getting said education right now and I certainly wouldn't enjoy that type of work. I would be able to donate money but that that would imply that I had too much money already. Im certainly more hedonicstic than I used to be but saying I'm too hedonsistic for my own good here simply isn't true. I am hedonistic for my own good in this question.

What do you guys think of this old discussion topic?!

http://www.longecity...nd-immortality/

Fun read haha I don't know if i buy into it though. I buy it as much as I don't buy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users