• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Best treatment for NRI-induced insomnia?

insomnia norepinephrine nootropic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 irony

• 55 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:23 AM

NRIs like desipramine and atomoxetine tremendously improve my cognition.   But they mess up my sleep so much that any gains get offset by lack of sleep.

I will fall asleep easily, but then I will wake up at about 2am and will be wide awake (though not really able to be productive, until about 4am or later.

Ambien doesn't even touch it.   Remeron did, but left me a zombie.

Is there anything from the RC world or nootropic world that could ameliorate this insomnia?   

Thanks.

#2 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:27 AM

Wow irony, in my experience it's fairly easy to find something to help you sleep, the hard part being that it doesn't give you that cognitive hangover ... that is there are lots of mirtazapines out there. Benzodiazepines, barbiturates, other sedatives are infamous for cognitive depression. The only thing I've tried that doesn't do that is melatonin ... the only completely transparent sleep aid I've come across. It just evaporates in the morning leaving me feeling nothing but rested.

You have tried taking your NRI in the morning? Maybe at a lower dose, then try melatonin at night. A gabapentinoid such as gabapentin, pregabalin, or phenibut would be a more aggressive and controversial option - they're not without drawbacks including tolerance and dependence.

What about alternatives to the NRIs? There are a number of cognitive enhancers discussed in other threads that you may find less stimulating. Maybe a DRI or deprenyl. Finally, some drugs - including mirtazapine and the desimipramine relative amitriptyline - for many people exhibit these cognitive hangover symptoms mostly just for the first weeks of use. If you're looking for a longer term solution, you might be willing to overlook a temporary drag to help you get there.
  • Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

You really can't get around this issue.
I recommend you to try prolintane https://newmind.com/...prolintane.html. It's a short-acting NRI that will be more or less out of your system when you go to sleep.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: insomnia, norepinephrine, nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users