antipsychotic abilify healing dopamine anhedonia

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ZombieMode

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

Hi All :)

Forgive me in advance - I have difficulty communicating nowadays.

I've been forced to take antipsychotic (abilify) injections for a little over a year now, was on the maximum possible dose (400mg) for quite some time. I was wrongly labelled a schizophrenic, and am now suffering greatly as a result. 

I've seen a lot of threads similar to this, both here on LongeCity, and across the internet - though am still a little lost as to where to focus my healing efforts. From my limited and basic understanding, my dopamine levels have been reduced, and my endocrine system has been under attack from this "medicine".

I'm looking for ways to return to my non-drugged state. Is it possible to reverse the effects of these types of drugs? How would I go about doing so? I won't bother you with a list of side-effects, as I'm still not quite sure as to the extent of the damage.

https://en.wikipedia...Binding_profile

Appreciate any information on the topic of antipsychotic recovery, particularly Abilify.
Always great to hear from people who have been on these types of drugs and have recovered.

Thanks
-ZM

#2 Florian Seichert

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

Hi 

Sorry to hear about that. 

It would be very useful to give us some more information.

How long its been since you stopped taking it. abilify/Aripiprazole has a very long half-life (about 75 hours and 95 hours for its active metabolite), so it could be still in your system especially when taken over an prolonged period. Or are you still taking it?

Its important to reduce the dose gradually. Often its just a matter of time getting back to a normal state but I am sure you will recover.

Since its acing as an partial agonis on several dopamine receptor  (which leads to down-regulation/lower dopamine levels as you already mentioned)  you might want to take a look at dopamine receptor upregulation threads (for example this one: http://www.longecity...e-receptors/). 

Things loke uridine, rhodiola might help with that in terms of motivation, mood or bacopa (only at night as it temporaly reduces dopamine levels) for sleep and regeneration. 

Hope I could help and best wishes  :)
Florian

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ZombieMode

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:55 AM

Hi Florian - Thanks for the response :)

I'm still taking the Abilify injections, currently at a dose of 200mg tapering down slowly aim is to be off completely in 2 months time.
Just read that entire thread, very excited to commence Uridine - should I start immediately (whilst still on the abilify injections), or is it best to wait until i'm off?

Thanks again, much appreciated

- Zombie

#4 Florian Seichert

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

All right. I just read through some articles it seems uridine does not interfere with Aripiprazole metabolism. Generally I would recommend to start uridine or everything else touching the dopamine system once the Aripiprazole is completely out of your system. But if you have acute problems indicating low dopamine activity (e.g. lack of motivation, depressed feeling, not able to concentrate on something, or extrapyramidal symptoms) you might consider to start with things like uridine while coming off from aripiprazole.

But be careful with the dosage. To much increase in dopamine is not very funny as well. The dopamine thread might will help you in terms of that  ;)

Best 

Florian

#5 ZombieMode

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:28 AM

Pleased to announce I am now off the Abilify injections with my last shot being on the 2nd May. Since being in withdrawal, to date, I am experiencing frequent facial tics and limb spasms - plus all of the other common side effects of anti-psychotics (anhedonia, sexual dysfunction, lethargy, demotivation, memory loss, etc). What can be done?

I am not currently taking any supplements or herbs. Nor am I doing much in the way of overall healing as I'm a bit overwhelmed with where to start. Open to your suggestions!

The path I was thinking of going down is to first start with a whole bunch of tests; pinpoint what could be out of balance/dysfunctional; and implement targeted methods of healing. Thing is - I trust you guys and my own research more than a GP. Partly because I'm yet to find one I like. So I was wondering if anyone else could chime in and share some wisdom/research on how to detox Abilify and reverse the effects. I'm all for self-medication and learning more about how to regain my health with the ultimate goal of life extension, spiritual recovery and happiness.

I suspect I have hypopituitarism, thyroid issues, endocrine imbalance, low dopamine. But at this stage that is just speculation. My most recent blood test from 3 months ago showed extremely low prolactin.

Happy to answer any questions about anything - and greatly appreciate any advice. Apologies for not being able to share much myself on this topic, if anything, consider this thread a serious warning as to the detrimental side (or, desired) effects of antipsychotics. Ruined my life in the space of a year.

Thanks all

#6 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:37 PM

Pleased to announce I am now off the Abilify injections with my last shot being on the 2nd May. Since being in withdrawal, to date, I am experiencing frequent facial tics and limb spasms - plus all of the other common side effects of anti-psychotics (anhedonia, sexual dysfunction, lethargy, demotivation, memory loss, etc). What can be done?

I am not currently taking any supplements or herbs. Nor am I doing much in the way of overall healing as I'm a bit overwhelmed with where to start. Open to your suggestions!

The path I was thinking of going down is to first start with a whole bunch of tests; pinpoint what could be out of balance/dysfunctional; and implement targeted methods of healing. Thing is - I trust you guys and my own research more than a GP. Partly because I'm yet to find one I like. So I was wondering if anyone else could chime in and share some wisdom/research on how to detox Abilify and reverse the effects. I'm all for self-medication and learning more about how to regain my health with the ultimate goal of life extension, spiritual recovery and happiness.

I suspect I have hypopituitarism, thyroid issues, endocrine imbalance, low dopamine. But at this stage that is just speculation. My most recent blood test from 3 months ago showed extremely low prolactin.

Happy to answer any questions about anything - and greatly appreciate any advice. Apologies for not being able to share much myself on this topic, if anything, consider this thread a serious warning as to the detrimental side (or, desired) effects of antipsychotics. Ruined my life in the space of a year.

Thanks all

Congratulations on reaching this milestone, ZombieMode.  After a year on the medication, please consider that it will take some time to recover fully.  The best way I can think of to support that process is with lifestyle measures, that is, diet, exercise and rest.  Avoiding processed foods, getting plenty of vegs, good protein and pure water.  Meds and supplements can help too, but emphasize those that provide a sustainable benefit, usually the more nutritionally-oriented supplements like multivitamin-minerals.  More drugs just give you something else to withdraw from later on.  Supps like turmeric, green tea, and many herbs, would also fall into the nutritionally-oriented category imo.  Think of things you would be willing to take indefinitely.  Overall becoming as healthy as you can be will go further and more sustainably than anything else.

At this point it sounds like mostly you're dealing not so much with withdrawal, but post-withdrawal symptoms.  If you've identified low prolactin, maybe your doc has something in mind.  If you are running into withdrawal symptoms, then temporary use of medication or the druggier supplements is perfectly valid.  Just be careful with things that explicitly manipulate neurotransmitters like dopamine or GABA because they can just kick the can down the road and prolong the time it takes to reach your goals of life extension, spiritual recovery and happiness.

Above all, know that you will recover.  Nothing that you've done is permanently disabling.  I've had to recover from drug treatments too and know it can be done.  I wish you the best.

Here is another resource that you should find helpful:  http://mentalhealthd...g-do-they-last/

Edited by Kinesis, 04 June 2016 - 09:57 PM.

#7 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:33 AM

Sorry to hear that Ability didn't do the trick. It's science of partial dopamine agonism is pretty interesting to say the least.
It has even been used off label for non-psychotic disorders such as ADD, MDD, GAD... Because of it's unique profile to stabilize dopamine levels instead of fully antagonize them with typical antipsychotics or fully agonize them with stimulants.

However nothing in this world is perfect, especially medicine. What you describe sounds like nerve atrophy. Focus on promoting NGF, BDNF, and GDNF while also taking something neuroprotective. For instance, ALCAR and Alpha Lipoic Acid with Magnesium Threonate. Ashwagandha with Curcumin. Huperzine A with Bacopa. Noopept with Citicholine and Gotu Kola.

I would think that Bacopa and ALCAR/ALA would have the most nootropic combo for you. That's just my guess based on your past and symptoms. Switch to Gotu Kola or Ashwagandha (depending on the blend) for the afternoon and then either a Cat's Claw pill or a hefty double dose of magnesium powder for night time. You need your rest!

Stay far away from potentially strong MAOI's or their combos. With a nervous system that needs repair, you can't be blasting it with every single monoamine. Your mitochondria won't like you very much, and the spasms will probably worsen.

Edited by devinthayer, 05 June 2016 - 02:42 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

"Some of the symptoms that commonly emerge from stopping Abilify include tardive dyskinesia, schizophrenia, symptoms of bipolar disorder, insomnia, and headaches. If use of this drug is discontinued abruptly; antipsychotic withdrawal symptoms can be much more uncomfortable or even serious."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antipsychotic, abilify, healing, dopamine, anhedonia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users