• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Why does intense & long exercise regimen cause nootropic effects but not HIIT?

exercise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vader

• 243 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

I've tried many different variations, 10 minutes HIIT, 30 minutes interval, 45 minutes slow and steady and lastly 90 minutes semi-intense (60 - 80% max bpm). Nowadays mostly stationary bike, but before running (run myself into anemia and couldn't stand the metallic taste when running, though).

The only one to have any sort of anxiolytic, nootropic effect is the last one. In fact, it seems like this sort of cardio causes PRONOUNCED time dilation, which i can't even eludicite why. I know that past 40 minutes and with sufficient intensity BDNF skyrockets with exercise, but wouldn't the effect be self-diminishing? Maybe going for a 4 hour workout would give even more benefits (like once a week or something)?

Is 90 minutes of semi-intense cardio a day even healthy? This borders on the endurance athlete status and seems impossible to do with any more laborious work schedule.

Edited by vader, 04 May 2016 - 07:17 PM.

#2 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

Excellent question, Vader.  My short answer first ... consider individual variation. 

Now let's look at some generalities.  Mercola has a good article on exercise and cognition at http://fitness.merco...s-exercise.aspx, and has some good pieces specifically on HIIT.  The Wikipedia article on the "Neurobiological effects of physical exercise" - https://en.wikipedia...ysical_exercise - is excellent, covering a wide spectrum of exercise types and cognitive benefits at all ages, addressing gross effects as well as specific mechanisms.  It cites scores of references for further information.  I think it gives a very accurate picture of what the average person can expect.  But that is the nature of statistics.  They can only speak to groups and averages and don't tell you exactly what you as an individual will experience ... just a tendency.

My experience bears this out.  I do burst training.  It's sort of like HIIT except with just one intense interval per session.  Most mornings I do about a one minute full on sprint down the street, then walk back.  The whole thing takes maybe five minutes or so but gets my heart pumping and breathing elevated for about a half hour.  The immediate benefits last all day, and the cumulative benefits of course much longer.  I do resistance exercise a couple times a week for strength and cycle for enjoyment.  Besides being effective, I like it because I'm time constrained and can pack a lot of punch into a short period of time.  If it works for me, it will work for some other people too ... but not necessarily everybody.  For example I'm in my late fifties and have parameters that would be different than twenty-something's.  Even other people my age though could easily have quite different experiences. 

One thing that virtually everybody has in common though is a biphasic (inverted U) response curve.  From no exercise at all, the benefit increases as you increase the intensity and/or the amount of time spent each week exercising. At some point the maximum benefit is reached and from there further increases bring diminishing results.  This is as much common sense as anything else ... take as an elementary example water consumption.  If you get no water, you will die.  From that point, increasing the amount of water you drink brings increasing survival and health.  At some point, maximum benefit is reached, and more water brings declining benefits.  If you try to drink ten gallons at a sitting, for example, you may die.  This may seem even too commonsense to be meaningful, but if you think about it it's a very general principle that provides a useful context in which to evaluate the health benefits of a vast spectrum of things.  Once explicitly recognized, it becomes a matter of establishing where a given level is at on the response curve to speculate whether more or less would be fruitful.

Of course there are other variables, too.  My personal opinion would be that any strenuous four hour workout would be much too much for me.  Even ninety minutes a day would be too much, if not because of my intrinsic response curve then because of the need to balance other demands on my time.  But that's just me.  As always, your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

Edited by Kinesis, 05 May 2016 - 06:03 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:31 PM

hmm, there are some conflicting studies here.  i bet even weight training, walking, or yoga is enough! 

VASCULAR FUNCTION

CONCLUSION:

HIIT is more effective at improving brachial artery vascular function than MICT, perhaps due to its tendency to positively influence CRF, traditional CVD risk factors, oxidative stress, inflammation, and insulin sensitivity. However, the variability in the secondary outcome measures, coupled with the small sample sizes in these studies, limits this finding. Nonetheless, this review suggests that 4 × 4 HIIT, three times per week for at least 12 weeks, is a powerful form of exercise to enhance vascular function.

CONCLUSION:

This article reports an observational study investigating the safety and effectiveness of a high-intensity interval exercise program for patients with peripheral arterial disease... Results showed overall improvement in the rehabilitation score with participation in the program, and specifically showed that participation in more exercise sessions led to greater improvement.

COGNITIVE FUNCTION

Conclusion. – In addition to improvements in exercise tolerance, a program combining HIIT and resistance training could improve executive functions in overweight adults. These results were associated with changes in cerebral oxygenation measured using NIRS.

CONCLUSION:

These preliminary results indicate that a 4-month high-intensity interval training programme in obese patients improved both cognitive functioning and cere-bral oxygen extraction, in association with improved exercise capacity and body composition.

Conclusion: Cognitive functions improve significantly after four months of high-intensity interval training program in middle-aged people with increased cardiovascular risk.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:10 PM

ONLY cardio increases nootropic effects not working out with weight. Cardio increases metabolism thus enzyme conversion. But cardio mostly increases BDNF release not BDNF it self like drugs do or food. Food can also help increase it by increasing metabolism and Varity and amount of food.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exercise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users