- - - - -

N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) aversion

nac n-acetyl-cysteine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:03 AM

I hear many good things about this supplement but I also hear some misgivings about using it. In a nutshell, what is the problem with it, side effects and are there ways to mitigate the concerns (eg lower dose or cycling) or is it just that some groups of people are sensitive to it and shouldn't take it. (but then those groups go on to tell everyone its bad because its bad for them)

I've been taking a Jarrows extended release 600mg at night before bed for the past few weeks. I haven't noticed any change either good or bad from it. The bottle does say it can alter liver function tests (without affecting the liver). Is it better to cycle them and if so how would you do it? Is this something you can indefinitely over the long term or will that present problems. Are there any other supplements or things you should not be taking while taking this one?

#2 davis89x

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

Longecity: NAC breaks down BBB, increases Amyloid and Microbleeds in Stroke-Prone Rats
My English isn't my native language and my knowledge is quite poor but in a nut shell from that thread and others I guess it would be:
Possible micro-bleeds, possibly may failure of vascular and perivascular clearance of Aβ, possible some histamine release, bronchospasm, pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)(but in very high dose), interferec with prostaglandin synthesis = increased PGF2 alpha and reduced PGE, decrease of vitamin K dependent clotting factors.

Edited by davis89x, 02 July 2016 - 09:25 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

I just recall Steve Fowkes saying it works well in the short term (e.g. after drinking alcohol) but that it does have some (unspecified) detrimental effects and lowers glutathione in the long run.

Edited by Keizo, 02 July 2016 - 05:36 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:19 PM

I just recall Steve Fowkes saying it works well in the short term (e.g. after drinking alcohol) but that it does have some (unspecified) detrimental effects and lowers glutathione in the long run.

???

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nac, n-acetyl-cysteine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users