• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Agmatine: What do we know to date? Is it an endogenous imidazoline receptor agonist?

agmatine imidazoline nitric oxide arginine pain tolerance nmda beta endorphin anxiety addiction

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pinnacle

• 62 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:03 PM

Agmatine: a decarboxylated "buffed up" supplement version of the amino L-Arginine, which crosses the blood brain barrier and behaves like a neurotransmitter at several sites.

It's been touted to potentially aid with mood, depression & anxiety, pain & inflammation as well as tolerance to pain killers, drug addiction, defence against excitotoxicity, protection against stroke, possible anti-hypertensive, performance boosting and vasodilation.

What I would like to clear up, is how much of this has been verified with studies and what underlying mechanisms have been confirmed?

If one of the known mechanisms is NMDA antagonism, how strong is it really - in comparison to say Memantine or the granddaddy of antagonists Ketamine? My guess is closer to Magnesium?

Concerning it's possible imidazoline receptor activity, has it been proven to be an agonist, or is it an inverse agonist or what? I've seen mixed studies.

Should one be taking it long term if they have some hypertension? Proof of it's anti-hypertensive effects again seems unclear with conflicting literature on the net.

Given that it often takes the "edge off" whatever stimulant type medication I've coupled it with seems to be in line with some of it's characteristics, particularly as an NMDA antagonist and possible beta-endorphin release. But what about being claimed a modulator of norepinephrine release, does this mean it releases NE? Wouldn't this exacerbate anxiety for some?

With so many mixed actions, it's a little daunting to decide if this has a permanent place in one's stack, but on the other hand it feels as though it compliments a lot of other supplements/medications nicely. It would be awesome to have someone with a greater understanding or experience with Agmatine to share any knowledge or collate and translate some of the scientific studies into layman's terms.  :) 

Good summary on examine.com: https://examine.com/...ments/agmatine/

Edited by pinnacle, 31 May 2016 - 11:03 PM.

#2 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:20 AM

taken agmatine in huge doses at times in hope of achieving many of its proposed biological values but just like anything you read on the internet, it didnt do a shit damn. it did have that strange semen smell tho to which im still remembering the most for!

• Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:41 AM

I take quite low doses (2x 100mg) and it does feel like a pde5 inhibitor, but it causes extra muscle congestion as well. Last time I went for blood donation it took 15min to draw the half liter instead of the usual 6m, and the only thing I added to my small stack is agmatine. The muscle congestion might have caused the slower draw (?)
I take low dose of agmatine because it does seem to increase NE release in situations of stress (public speech etc) .
I helps with anxiety at this dose as well, when there is normal stress. It might have slightly reduced my bp as well.
Worth a try as it is cheap.

#4 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:59 PM

IMO it is far superior to Arginine for weight lifters looking for a pump.  It also seems to be synergistic with small, daily doses of tadalafil.  This combo has tremendously helped my lean muscle mass post 45 years of age.

I don't even notice it take the edge off my occasional moda/caffeine stack for sleep apnea.

I can't say I notice any anxiolytic effects, but it does seem to reduce my small consumption of benzo's in public speaking situations. 

As for an anxiolytic in stressful situations GTS-21 is far and away the most effective non-sedating compound I've ever tried with the exception of Phenibut, and that comes with it's own, well documented issues.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

I'm adding 500mg agmatine before bed for various muscle and stamina/strength benefits.

This link has more info, with research included:
ergo-log.com/agmatine-slimming-supplement.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: agmatine, imidazoline, nitric oxide, arginine, pain, tolerance, nmda, beta endorphin, anxiety, addiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users