• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Reverse age by Plasma transfusion

plasma ageing gdf11 blood transfusion parabiosis mouse reverse youth experiment

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 JamesX

• 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

Hi :)

I found this site while using Google to keep up to date on the latest GDF11 and blood plasma ageing research, just curious to see if anyone within these forums is interested in reversing the ageing process ?

What I have discovered so far is that GDF11 does after some conflicting results due to reagent issues appear to be one of (if not the most) important proteins responsible for re-activating the human body to repair itself at a faster rate and hence return one to a more youthful state.

However one thing I am concerned about is, that this is still not absolutely certain and I think there must be a lot more proteins and hormones, etc within young blood that causes one to revert to youthful state, also some proteins/hormones that are increased with age that may need cancelling out in addition to just GDF11 supplements; also and most importantly the latest research suggest the therapeutic dose of GDF11 required to rejuvenate oneself is 0.5mg/Kg which at current prices would be roughly £160,000 per week for 4 weeks of treatment based on frequency of injections and experiment time frame used in the mouse studies.

So attempting to use GDF11 injections in my opinion would be very expensive and most probably not capture all the youthful factors required to healthily revert one to a youthful state, and that is if GDF11 is 100% verified as the master protein responsible for dictating ones age based on it's blood level.

This leaves another alternative which is to obtain Blood Plasma from two volunteers twice per week, at a therapeutic dosage in line with regular plasma treatments which are carried out in Hospitals around the world all the time, so for someone weighing 80Kg this would equate to 1200ml of Plasma twice a week for 4 weeks duration, which in mouse studies was time enough to revert ones age. So each donor would donate 600ml of plasma twice a week and no closer than 48hrs between donations  in line with best practices.

This would ensure whatever is in the young blood plasma is received by the recipient, so as yet unidentified factors would be included; this should be very safe as long as best practices are followed in that the worst case scenario is that it simply does not work... but all available information indicates results would be quick to materialize.

Within the UK as far as I have been able to identify there is nothing illegal about investigating this approach, although it does raise eyebrows when discussed with people who are not educated within the medical profession or have amateur scientific tendencies.

I have educated myself on Haematology processes, Blood/Plasma donation processes, Blood typing and cross matching etc... in fact read everything and anything I can on the internet to assimilate the required information to enable me to proceed with DIY Plasma donation trial to reverse ones age... for example I have a 3 channel Baxter IV pump, all IV supplies, blood matching/typing identification cards, health monitoring equipment, all sterile supplies necessary for safety, and most importantly Plasmapheresis filters rather than centrifugal plasma separation apparatus as it's technically superior and safer.

Technically I'm ready to proceed but have no Plasma donor volunteers, and to be honest I haven't really tried to find any at this stage as I have other projects on the go so am often juggling time between them... I do talk to friends and colleagues about what I am doing but they are all roughly my age, which is 41, so are very interested but not suitable as donors; then I found this site and thought I may as well introduce myself and see what other people are doing and see if there is interest :)

I have opted when the time comes to go the DIY route instead of just buying Blood Plasma which is readily available from suppliers from roughly £97 per 500ml, with suppliers able to provide from age, gender, and either same donor or pooled as required.... this is purely for safety reasons in that it would ensure the risk of contracting viruses would be greatly reduced and confidence of sourcing Plasma from compatible males below or as close to 21yrs old as possible would be ensured.

Male donors only would rule out risk of TRALI reactions as although rare it only happens with female donor Plasma, most importantly there is a lot of examples documented on the Internet going back decades of Plasma sourced from reputable companies actually being contaminated... hence having two named donors on board the experiment would reduce risks greatly compared to sourcing Plasma commercially.

I also think it would be best for donors to register and perform one Plasma donation at a reputable clinic before proceeding as volunteers for such an experiment as this would ensure donor criteria are met and all required tests are completed by the clinic which would ensure safety of the donor and plasma for recipient.

I'd be very interested to receive feedback on the above to ascertain peoples opinions on if it's a viable experiment ?

Kind Regards,

James....

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#2 Donald Stahl

• 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

I believe most of the people here are interested in that. Have you contacted Dr. Dave about the project? He is an active experimenter.

• Good Point x 1

#3 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

How can we do that?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Donald Stahl

• 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

http://www.drdavesbest.com/

#5 JamesX

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

Hi Donald,

Sorry I'm new to the forums so unaware of Dr Dave, I followed the link and looks like he's in America so too far away for me to work with on this project perhaps; but thank you for the information.

Hi Ceridwen,

The only thing missing for the proof of concept experiment to go ahead is two or more volunteers who are happy to donate blood plasma, I would be happy to proceed as plasma recipient and I'm lucky in that having blood type O+ I'm a universal plasma recipient so any donor blood type would be fine.

I would be happy to meet up in London with anyone to discuss this further, so anyone interested in reversing their age, or potential volunteers willing to help with plasma donations; in fact if you just want to meet up and discuss without committing to anything it would be great to meet like minded people :)

If after these meeting we end up with a small group of people willing to proceed then I would think the best next course of action would be for any potential plasma recipients and plasma donors go along to a Red Cross clinic and register to donate plasma and all donate at least once; this would ensure we all pass a medical and the safety test requirements as health and safety will be top priority.

Once we've all donated plasma once at a blood donation centre we could commence with the proof of concept experiment to ascertain if 1200ml of plasma twice per week for one month will reverse ones age.

Now I fully expect this to be successful as animal studies show it works, and the preliminary results from the first human young plasma experiment with 18 Alzheimer's patients that's currently being conducted by the team responsible for performing the mouse parabiosis and GDF11 experiments indicate that not only the patients are cured but that the effects are global in that all cells within the patients bodies are feeling the effects... so I expect some pretty amazing official results which are expected within the next few months.

Cheers, James....

#6 JamesX

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:09 AM

Another possible benefit for the core participants of this experiment, in addition to reversing ones age, would be that once proved to work it would be a potential source of revenue going forward.

For example once the concept is proved to work and we have a processes in place it would be possible to market this treatment to the wealthy and make a handsome income, this would be a very good incentive for potential plasma donors in the long term.

I mention this because although reversing ones age is a very attractive possibility, doing so only to continue working in a corporate rat race really is not so appealing; hence my post age reversal plan is to make a handsome profit treating others and thus remove myself from the rat race.

Cheers, James....

• Agree x 1

#7 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

James, may you provide a link on this human trial? Where was it registered?

the preliminary results from the first human young plasma experiment with 18 Alzheimer's patients that's currently being conducted by the team responsible for performing the mouse parabiosis and GDF11 experiments indicate that not only the patients are cured but that the effects are global in that all cells within the patients bodies are feeling the effects...

• Good Point x 1

#8 JamesX

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

Hi erzebet :)

A link the the original story is here https://www.theguard...od-older-people

...another informative link here https://www.newscien...venation-trial/

...and here is a link to the latest information I can find which has a single paragraph which indicates the results are going to be very good http://www.braininju...uvenates-cells/ .....the exact wording is within the second sentence of the second paragraph as follows "The preliminary results have surprised the research team, since it appears that young blood rejuvenates all of the cells within the recipients’ bodies are showing marked improvement."

Kind Regards,

James....

oh and sorry missed a bit in that on the 3rd paragraph it continues with "The scientists behind the experiment have evidence on their side that young blood rejuvenates."

James....

#9 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

There is a difference between a peer-reviewed paper and a catchy titled PR story.

Journalists may write whatever they want according to how well they understand the study behind. And just because a PR story gets launched mentioning that X and Y from company Z will start a clinical study hoping to notice some effect, it doesn't mean this effect will actually take place.

So yes, a team from Stanford hopes to rejuvenate old neurons - that is great, just that the study didn't even finish recruiting participants yet, not to mention publish any results.

The study was registered here and it is still recruiting participants:

https://clinicaltria...how/NCT02256306

#10 JamesX

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Hi erzebet,

Thanks for confirming the status of the study, looks like the latter news story may be jumping the gun in this instance; the other links are very informative though and I do hope the results of this clinical trial are equally impressive once it has run its course.

Kind Regards,

James....

#11 Chef Russ

• 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:22 AM

I think the dosage is 0.05 micrograms per dose for an adult. Not .5 milligrams. That makes it affordable.

Edited by Chef Russ, 07 July 2016 - 08:24 AM.

#12 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:32 AM

I have been contacted by someone who wants me to pay $8000 to get involved with a clinical trial for young plasma. This seems very expensive to me. What do you guys think?
  • Good Point x 2

#13 Chef Russ

• 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

I find, generally, that when someone approaches me, the odds of getting scammed are high. When I go out and find someone, my chances are greatly reduced. See if you can find them as if you didn't know them. Or even better, find someone else. Who is to say the plasma is real or cancer/disease free? Who is to say its real plasma or just a banana bag (or something dangerous)?
  • Agree x 2

#14 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:02 PM

Thanks yes I agree. I have my own arrangements if I can last that long and not with the person who offered me the scam. Plasma seems to be something that need to be done again and again and again so I'd run out of money very fast

#15 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:06 PM

Thanks yes I agree. I have my own arrangements if I can last that long and not with the person who offered me the scam. Plasma seems to be something that need to be done again and again and again so I'd run out of money very fast

#16 Brutfull

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

James, may you provide a link on this human trial? Where was it registered?

the preliminary results from the first human young plasma experiment with 18 Alzheimer's patients that's currently being conducted by the team responsible for performing the mouse parabiosis and GDF11 experiments indicate that not only the patients are cured but that the effects are global in that all cells within the patients bodies are feeling the effects...

Where are you getting all this information? Altought I do not really believe that this is true, my mother is suffering from Alzheimer's and I would really like to find out more about this.

• like x 1

#17 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

Sounds good

#18 relativityboy

• 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

I have been contacted by someone who wants me to pay $8000 to get involved with a clinical trial for young plasma. This seems very expensive to me. What do you guys think?

Is it Ambrosia or Alkahest?

#19 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

Very I've already turned them down.

#20 JamesX

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

Sorry I've been away for a while busy with personal projects.

I would ignore anyone who asks for money as I would think genuine trials would not charge a fee.

I'm still wanting to proceed with a proof of concept plasma transfusion from young donor to older recipient over a 1 month period to ascertain if factors in young blood reset gene expression through DNA Methylation or Epigenetic to that of the younger donor levels, as if so the older recipient should then revert to a youthful state if as I suspect ageing is caused not by wear and tear but by pre-programmed senescence.

If successful I suspect further transfusion would not be necessary post trial as the recipient will be reverted to a previous gene expression state and continue to age from that point onwards as normal again.

Perhaps when I have more time in a month or so I'll start to actively seek a young Plasma donor again and commence via the formal route of clinical trial.

Kind Regards,

James....

#21 hotbit

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:02 AM

James, have you managed to move into trial? I've read this article today and found your thread here.

Blood plasma from young people has been found to rejuvenate old mice, improving their memory, cognition, and physical activity. The method has the potential to be developed into a treatment for people, says Sakura Minami of Alkahest, the company behind the work.

[...]

Could blood plasma from young people have the same benefits? To find out, Minami and her colleagues took blood samples from 18-year-olds, and injected them into 12-month-old mice. At this age, the equivalent of around age 50 for people, the mice start to show signs of ageing – they move more slowly, and perform badly on memory tests.

The mice were given twice-weekly injections of the human plasma. After three weeks of injections, they were submitted to a range of tests. The treated mice’s performance was compared to young, 3-month-old mice, as well as old mice who had not received injections.

They found that human plasma does have the power to rejuvenate. Treated mice ran around an open space like young mice. Their memories also seemed to improve, and they were much better at remembering their way around a maze than untreated mice.

“Young human plasma improves cognition,” says Minami, who presented her findings at the Society for Neuroscience annual meeting in San Diego, California, on Monday. “Their memory was preserved.”

“It’s more or less what we would expect,” says Victoria Bolotina, at Boston University in Massachusetts. “The blood of young people must have something in it that’s important for keeping them young,” she says.

The team then examined the brains of the treated and untreated mice. They looked for clues on the birth of new neurons in the hippocampus – a process called neurogenesis, which is thought to be important for memory and learning. Sure enough, the treated mice appeared to have created more new cells in their brain. “Young human plasma treatment can increase neurogenesis,” says Minami.

Also: news/2016/08/young-blood-antiaging-trial-raises-questions

PS1. There is plenty plasma donation centres , plasma injection is used in medicine, and no stories about people getting younger... Sure, most donors might be 25 and older, still some are under 20, so some cases should have been noticed.

PS2. Unfortunately I'm too old to donate.

Edited by hotbit, 16 November 2016 - 09:38 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#22 Futuredoc

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:03 AM

This is the topic that brought me to this forum as well.  I've read just about everything I can find on the topic so far, which isn't necessarily saying much since there have only been 3 or 4 studies conducted so far.

Do any of you have a background in scientific research?  I'm attending medical school at this time and may be able to get a study started if I talk to the right people.  I have a biochemistry degree and am studying for my doctorate in medicine, but I lack research experience and because of that I want to have a pretty solid grasp on things before I reach out and approach a lab. I'd love to chat with anyone who may have some ideas.

I certainly don't want to go the parabiosis route and I don't want to sacrifice the animals either.  The latest information about human blood rejuvenating old mice is very interesting and I wonder if it will make studies easier since larger volumes of plasma should be able to be acquired from human's.

#23 hotbit

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:44 PM

It seems that GDF11 protein is the key, or one of them. It is quite a hot topic on longecity.

Have a look at Results of my 1.5 years of injecting exogenous GDF11

If human plasma works for mouse, I wonder if pig plasma would work for humans?

However pig's life span is much shorter, thus interesting question I have: would it extend or shorten human lifespan?

It might be interesting to check whether short living animal plasma would have a detrimental effect on long living one, for example mice plasma on pig or goat life span.

• Good Point x 1

#24 Futuredoc

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

However pig's life span is much shorter, thus interesting question I have: would it extend or shorten human lifespan?

It might be interesting to check whether short living animal plasma would have a detrimental effect on long living one, for example mice plasma on pig or goat life span.

Hotbit,

Those are very good questions.  My hunch is that the species of animal would be less important than the age of the specific donor.  In other words, Id hypothesize that the contents of the blood of a young mouse would be similar to that of a young human, but genetic factors cause the content to change more quickly in the mouse, which is what leads to faster aging.  Obviously that would just be a guess until studies are performed.  An additional problem with inter species transfers (which I just learned is called xenotransfusion) is that each species would carry different antigens, proteins, and factors that are specific to that species.  This could cause complications, though it seems that human to mouse worked out.

My very cursory reading just now shows that pigs have very similar blood to humans.  My thoughts right now are whether or not the plasma portion alone would be similar enough to make this possible.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plasma, ageing, gdf11, blood, transfusion, parabiosis, mouse, reverse, youth, experiment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users