• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Why is sea salt noticeably affecting my mood, libido, appetite?

salt libido mood appetite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jefferson Greene

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:56 PM

Hello,

This doesn't make any sense to me: Daily intake of sea salt (specifically pink Himalayan sea salt) significantly boosts my libido, my appetite (usually little/no appetite), and improves my mood. I don't get the same effect using normal Morton's table salt, Morton's salt lite, or just getting more sodium from foods. I have tested this thoroughly over the last 4 weeks. If anything, there is an anti placebo effect here, because at first I refused to believe this. I'm going to try some different types of salt and electrolyte mixes, because I still find this nearly impossible to believe.

EDIT: One thing that I haven't tried yet, that I am going to try, is to actually measure the exact quantity of salt and make sure I'm using exactly the same amount for my sea salt vs Morton's test. Maybe I'm subconsciously using more sea salt because I like the flavor or texture better. 

Can anyone think of a possible mechanism of action here that I can test out? I know that sea salt has "trace minerals", but upon looking at specifics, I find that the other minerals besides salt are all in very trace quantities indeed.. it doesn't seem like such small quantities could make any difference and I eat well anyway. I also take a multi vitamin. The only "downside" to my diet is that I rarely eat fruits, because fructose seems to bother me. 

Thanks for any help or direction that you can provide. 

Edited by Jefferson Greene, 13 June 2016 - 12:06 AM.

#2 Polyamine

• 47 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

I would surmise that it is the minerals that are having the effect.  I know the addition of lithium orotate increased my libido.  Something in that salt is a substrate for an enzymatic reaction that involves metabolism and testosterone formation.  A further step would be to experiment to see which minerals you are deficient of and possibly even why you are deficient.  Supplementing a mineral is not the same as eating a mineral because of the isomers involved.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 birthdaysuit

• 299 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

Iodine is very high in good sea salt. A deficiency in iodine could cause hypothyroidism which can have debilitating side-effects, as well as fatigue, mental slowing, low-libido, and depression.

Edited by birthdaysuit, 04 August 2016 - 07:16 PM.

#4 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

Salt is also a natural antihistamine and will cause you to be more comfortable. I just bought Celtic Sea Salt. It is going to be part of my anti-anxiety medicines. I usually have a GABA inducing drink in the morning and now I will add an antihistamine inducing drink in the afternoon of Quercetin and Vitamin C. It should work. I will just have the salt with a meal or chase it with a drink. 

Edited by Jiminy Glick, 05 June 2017 - 06:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: salt, libido, mood, appetite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users