Cycloastragenol and Astralagus - Contraindications and Enzymes

astralagus telomerase

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JustGetMeIntoSpace

• 67 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

I have already drunk the koolaid when it comes to telomeres and telomerase.  In fact, I already purchased some of the Solgar Astralagus Root Extract and have been taking that (because that is all I can afford).  I haven't done testing yet but will do that soon.

Anyway, what I want to ask about is this:  both of the above affect the telomerase enzyme.  Okay, great.  However, I have never seen any compound that just affects one enzyme and no other enzymes (or metabolic pathways).  An example:  PDE5 inhibitors affect not just PDE5 but also other similar PDE enzymes such as PDE3 and 4, thus the side effects.

So my question is simple:  what other enzymes do the above effect?  I totally believe telomeres/telomerase is a huge part of anti-aging.  But if we are hammering other enzymes accidently, then this may not be the route to go.  Has anyone looked into this?

If there are potential issues here, then perhaps we should wait for Bioviva's (and other related) CRISPR techniques?

#2 GreenPower

• 201 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

I don't know about telomerase enzymes, but a personal theory I have is that both Astragalus and Resveratrol is also affecting the concentration of one or several neurotransmitters and/or the sensitivity of one or several types of neurons. This is based on how I feel after taking these substances.

#3 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:14 AM

I don't know about telomerase enzymes, but a personal theory I have is that both Astragalus and Resveratrol is also affecting the concentration of one or several neurotransmitters and/or the sensitivity of one or several types of neurons. This is based on how I feel after taking these substances.

What neurotransmitters do you speculate? How do you feel?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 JustGetMeIntoSpace

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:16 AM

Resveratrol can slow down the thyroid.  I took a combo of resveratrol and quercetin and both can slow down the thyroid and was just miserable after a few weeks.  Felt like someone had tied 100 pounds weights on my back.  (I'm a pretty hyper person.) 

But what do you mean and thx for replying btw?  I'm a huge fan of your posts.  I'm hoping astralagus has a net positive effect on mood, etc.?

#5 GreenPower

• 201 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

As a general rule I should think that you first need to have some kind of deficiency in your nerve system in order for something to have a positive effect on them. Maybe a lack of neurotransmitters, transmitters not breaking down correctly, not being reabsorbed or similar. This would mean all persons trying a substance might not see the same effects, because if nothing is broken there's nothing to be fixed.

That said, I mentioned a few effects I had from Astragalus in a couple of earlier posts here and here.

Some supporting information. I just googled around and found this article where they studied the levels of cholineacetyl transferase (ChAT) and tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) in rats which got Astragalus and came to the conclusion that they got "improved spatial learning and memory and reduced stress-induced anxiety. Thus, the present results suggest that AM is able to recover behavioral and neurochemical impairments induced by stress".

I also found this this article were they "used a DEX-induced neuron injury model in the mouse to further explore the neuroprotective effect of EA and its mechanism" (EA = Astragalus). Their results "indicated that EA has protective effects on DEX-induced learning and memory impairments and neuronal cell apoptosis".

#6 JustGetMeIntoSpace

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

As a general rule I should think that you first need to have some kind of deficiency in your nerve system in order for something to have a positive effect on them. Maybe a lack of neurotransmitters, transmitters not breaking down correctly, not being reabsorbed or similar. This would mean all persons trying a substance might not see the same effects, because if nothing is broken there's nothing to be fixed.

That said, I mentioned a few effects I had from Astragalus in a couple of earlier posts here and here.

Some supporting information. I just googled around and found this article where they studied the levels of cholineacetyl transferase (ChAT) and tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) in rats which got Astragalus and came to the conclusion that they got "improved spatial learning and memory and reduced stress-induced anxiety. Thus, the present results suggest that AM is able to recover behavioral and neurochemical impairments induced by stress".

I also found this this article were they "used a DEX-induced neuron injury model in the mouse to further explore the neuroprotective effect of EA and its mechanism" (EA = Astragalus). Their results "indicated that EA has protective effects on DEX-induced learning and memory impairments and neuronal cell apoptosis".

Thx!

#7 playground

• 454 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

How should be we best take cycloastragenol ?

=> with food ?  vs  empty stomach ?

=> with acids or with alkalis  ?

=> with vitamin C, B vitamins, with carbs ... etc.

(what helps the body to absorb cycloastragenol ?)

Thanks to anyone who responds :-)

#8 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:59 PM

Could its dopamine-boosting effects be why I feel depressed and "out of it" after 470mg of Astragalus root? It feels literally like I am about to go psychotic (but I've never been it)..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astralagus, telomerase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users