- - - - -

Insomnia Hell - please help

insomnia anxiety depression phosphorylated serine

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Avocet

• 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:46 PM

Hi, my name is Valerie and I'm from the UK.  I'm in my 40s and physically healthy.  I've had an ongoing problem with anxiety, depression and insomnia over the past two years and have tried most things with little success so far.  I'm convinced that if only I could get my sleep back to normal all my other problems would sort themselves out.  

The first year of insomnia was characterised by high anxiety and sleep onset insomnia with bursts of adrenaline and panic preventing me falling asleep. But no depression.

The second year it changed -  I can often fall asleep very quickly, but wake up at 3am every morning with terrible anxiety and rapid heart beat and can't get back to sleep.  I haven't slept over 4 hours for the past two years and it's slowly killing me.  Now in the second year I am also experiencing horrific feelings of depression - I've never experienced anything like it.  Total despair and hopelessness, wanting to cry all of the time.

The only thing that helps is diazepam, but I don't dare to take it very often for obvious reasons.  Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) used to help a bit, but the manufacturers recently changed the formula to phosphatidylserine which does not have the same effect at all.

Blood tests all fine, except for very low ferritin, low testosterone/androgens, and low serum alkaline phosphatase.  No sign of menopause.

GP has given me diazepam - don't dare to take it more than once a fortnight.   I refuse to take SSRIs as I don't want the sexual side effects. 

I have tried meditation but paradoxically, this seems to increase my depression and anxiety and my racing thoughts.  I have also had counselling which also made the depression worse.  Have tried almost everything including beta-blockers, herbs, magnesium, amino acids and adaptogens, but to no avail. I'm wondering whether high nighttime cortisol might be the root of the problem.  As phosphorylated serine is no longer available (or does somebody know a source?) does anyone have any suggestions? 

Any ideas at all would be very much appreciated - I am really suffering here and don't know how long I can continue to live like this.

#2 kelka

• 50 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hi. I did benefit from magnesium. It seemed to help the time I took to fall asleep but after a while it stopped helping so much. Then I tried ZMA and that seems to work really well. I exercise in the morning as well and obviously do all the other sleep hygiene stuff.<br />
<br />
I looked into cortisol as well as I've had a similar pattern to you and with low mood in morning when cortisol would be at the highest but I've had no luck. My mood had improved a bit with better sleep but I've had anxiety and depression for decades so we differ there. I do take lots of other stuff so it could also be synergistic with something else but I'd recommend a trial.<br />
<br />
You could still be perimenopausal as you'd need more than one blood test to base that on I think.<br />
<br />
<br />
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk<br />
<br />

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:45 PM

What kind of herbs have you tried? Ashwagandha? Camomile and Hops? Bacopa? Cat's Claw? Valerian Root? What about sleep supplements? Tryptophan? 5-HTP? Melatonin? Theanine? Adenosine? Inositol?

Anyway, phosphorylated serine complex is just ethanolamine salts and phosphoserine salts. You should be able to find phosphoserine a little bit better since it's not a made up word by marketers.

Enerphos has mixed reviews, but I don't believe the more recent ones. I think it's a slam campaign by Seriphos since they've changed their formula, presumably to make the formula cheaper and possibly via threats from other manufacturers, coming from recent approvals for ethanolamines in treatment for cancer. But don't take it from me... Research it yourself.

Edited by devinthayer, 20 June 2016 - 11:03 PM.

• Informative x 1

#4 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:06 AM

Hi Valerie,

Everyone has a story; Whats your story, what caused your insomnia and anxiety in first place? if you wanna talk tho

• like x 2

#5 Avocet

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

What kind of herbs have you tried? Ashwagandha? Camomile and Hops? Bacopa? Cat's Claw? Valerian Root? What about sleep supplements? Tryptophan? 5-HTP? Melatonin? Theanine? Adenosine? Inositol?

Anyway, phosphorylated serine complex is just ethanolamine salts and phosphoserine salts. You should be able to find phosphoserine a little bit better since it's not a made up word by marketers.

Enerphos has mixed reviews, but I don't believe the more recent ones. I think it's a slam campaign by Seriphos since they've changed their formula, presumably to make the formula cheaper and possibly via threats from other manufacturers, coming from recent approvals for ethanolamines in treatment for cancer. But don't take it from me... Research it yourself.

Thanks Devinhayer.  Sorry for being such an ignoramus, but are you saying I might get the same results as the old Seriphos/phosphorylated serine from Enerphos? - they state their ingredients as being "Calcium magnesium, ethanolamine phosphate, calcium magnesium phosphoserine, medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil"?  

From the things you've listed, I've not tried adenosine or inositol - maybe worth a try?

#6 Avocet

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

Hi Valerie,

Everyone has a story; Whats your story, what caused your insomnia and anxiety in first place? if you wanna talk tho

Oh God, you might be sorry you asked!  Well, I'd been in a very bleak marriage for 18 years, but about 2.5 years ago made an attempt at freedom by starting driving lessons, probably the most emancipating thing I've ever attempted.  All was going well, until one night I had an uncharacteristically poor nights sleep - a one off, so I thought. I had a driving lesson the next morning.  Due to sleep deprivation, it went very badly.  I started to worry about not being able to sleep before my driving lesson days, and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Every evening I experienced terrifying surges of adrenaline, like thumps of electricity, shocking my heart and brain - it's really hard to describe. Every time I felt I might drift off to sleep I was jolted fully awake and terrified.

Strangely, despite the sleep deprivation, my mood was very bright but with a constant edge of anxiety, and I remember thinking that I can't remember what feeling depressed felt like, and that I couldn't imagine ever feeling depressed again.  At this time, I started an affair with my driving instructor (my marriage was very cold) and I felt really happy and loved, though constantly on edge with anxiety and sleep deprivation.

The sleep deprivation got worse and I had to give up driving as I just couldn't concentrate. My work suffered too - I started making appalling mistakes and nearly lost my job. Then  I started being overwhelmed with the most horrific depression I'd ever experienced. My driving instructor friend dumped me, my marriage ended, and I went a bit nuts: Overwhelming feelings of grief and hopelessness - unable to stop crying for hours and days.  The insomnia changed to being able to fall asleep quickly, but waking up at 3am every morning with an uncontrollable rapid heart beat and terror.  I've become very isolated.  No friends or family, apart from my children. Even my children are fed up with my constant crying - I can't even be a proper parent any more.  Too tired and fraught to try new things and meet new people.  If I try to plan something positive for the next day, inevitably I can't sleep at ALL, so I feel powerless to change my life until I can control my sleep.   

I tried counselling, but it makes it worse, because they can't offer solutions, or even opinions. They keep asking me about my childhood, which was very bleak and traumatic, but talking about this did not help - remembering it made my depression so much worse.  I just want to be able to sleep again, like a normal person, and have my life and personality back again.  

Well, you did ask!  :)

Edited by Valerie Jane, 21 June 2016 - 10:15 AM.

• Well Written x 1

#7 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

Hi Valerie,

Oh God, you might be sorry you asked!  Well, I'd been in a very bleak marriage for 18 years, but about 2.5 years ago made an attempt at freedom by starting driving lessons, probably the most emancipating thing I've ever attempted.  All was going well, until one night I had an uncharacteristically poor nights sleep - a one off, so I thought. I had a driving lesson the next morning.  Due to sleep deprivation, it went very badly.  I started to worry about not being able to sleep before my driving lesson days, and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Every evening I experienced terrifying surges of adrenaline, like thumps of electricity, shocking my heart and brain - it's really hard to describe. Every time I felt I might drift off to sleep I was jolted fully awake and terrified.

Strangely, despite the sleep deprivation, my mood was very bright but with a constant edge of anxiety, and I remember thinking that I can't remember what feeling depressed felt like, and that I couldn't imagine ever feeling depressed again.  At this time, I started an affair with my driving instructor (my marriage was very cold) and I felt really happy and loved, though constantly on edge with anxiety and sleep deprivation.

The sleep deprivation got worse and I had to give up driving as I just couldn't concentrate. My work suffered too - I started making appalling mistakes and nearly lost my job. Then  I started being overwhelmed with the most horrific depression I'd ever experienced. My driving instructor friend dumped me, my marriage ended, and I went a bit nuts: Overwhelming feelings of grief and hopelessness - unable to stop crying for hours and days.  The insomnia changed to being able to fall asleep quickly, but waking up at 3am every morning with an uncontrollable rapid heart beat and terror.  I've become very isolated.  No friends or family, apart from my children. Even my children are fed up with my constant crying - I can't even be a proper parent any more.  Too tired and fraught to try new things and meet new people.  If I try to plan something positive for the next day, inevitably I can't sleep at ALL, so I feel powerless to change my life until I can control my sleep.   

I tried counselling, but it makes it worse, because they can't offer solutions, or even opinions. They keep asking me about my childhood, which was very bleak and traumatic, but talking about this did not help - remembering it made my depression so much worse.  I just want to be able to sleep again, like a normal person, and have my life and personality back again.  

Well, you did ask!  :)

I am actually glad that you didn't reject/ignore what I asked for, Thanks :happy:  

because I saw your profile pic and thought "this lovely woman must have a story that I want to hear"; Well everyone has a story.. that's for sure! And I don't mind if you like to talk more!

These middle-night panic attacks are really life disturbing; psychiatrists usually start with SSRIs and mild anxiolytics. But as you dont want the sexual side-effects, these aren't the option.

You can try Hydroxyzine 10 mg every night before bed (if you already haven't), it helps with both insomnia and anxiety.

Also Breathing Exercise would really help you after any panic attack; lie down in dim light or darkness, spread your arms and legs as much as you feel comfortable in low wear and breath in and out slowly and deeply; don't try to focus on anything like mindfulness meditations; only try to breath with your whole lungs, not only belly breathing or upper lungs.

you can practice this exercise every day if you want.

best wishes

• like x 1

#8 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

Adenosine is a hard supplement to find. Most come in forms of ATP, but adenosine supplementation can cause drowsiness/dizziness to help your fall asleep. The next morning, you'll have more building blocks for ATP. Supplementation with ATP/ADP does not have that effect, as you can imagine.

Your symptoms are characteristic of hypomania. Unfortunately, all treatments will cause sexual side effects, so you're looking for something to knock you out for a few hours.

And yeah, Enerphos is just a knock off of the old Sepheros. Some people like it better, some find it indistinguishable, and others seem to be fake negative reviews.

Inositol is some good stuff for reducing pain, hyperactivity, anxiety, etc.

http://www.m.webmd.c...no-299/inositol

When you do start pursuing stronger options of drugs to knock you out, go for something with a very short half life that you can double up on. I wish I knew of something off the top of my head, but there are several GABA derivatives that cross the BBB and activate receptors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Informative x 1

#9 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

Phenibut and Picamilon and GHB all have varying degrees of the qualities you are looking for. Phenibut and GHB are addictive, and Picamilon at least in me has a rapid onset and then almost nothing, making it harder to sleep. Not everyone has those effects. Keep looking though...

https://en.m.wikiped...i/GABA_analogue

Edited by devinthayer, 21 June 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#10 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:56 PM

Thanks Devinhayer.  Sorry for being such an ignoramus, but are you saying I might get the same results as the old Seriphos/phosphorylated serine from Enerphos? - they state their ingredients as being "Calcium magnesium, ethanolamine phosphate, calcium magnesium phosphoserine, medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil"?  

From the things you've listed, I've not tried adenosine or inositol - maybe worth a try?

I recommend trying St. John's Wort extracts, if you haven't

NOTICE: SJW have side-effects, particularly Ocular/Eye (due to increased photo-sensitivity) and Liver damage in large doses. So trying to making SJW's tea might be a better solution. and dont forget to use sunglasses to avoid photo-toxicity  

btw, try Fasting as well, it naturally increases Serotonin and Neurogenesis which help with Depression and Anxiety 

Edited by psychejunkie, 21 June 2016 - 02:07 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#11 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

Thanks Devinhayer. Sorry for being such an ignoramus, but are you saying I might get the same results as the old Seriphos/phosphorylated serine from Enerphos? - they state their ingredients as being "Calcium magnesium, ethanolamine phosphate, calcium magnesium phosphoserine, medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil"?

Anytime someone recommends that, I think... yeah ocular and liver damage are fun. At least when you're on it, you won't care, right?

#12 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

Thanks Devinhayer. Sorry for being such an ignoramus, but are you saying I might get the same results as the old Seriphos/phosphorylated serine from Enerphos? - they state their ingredients as being "Calcium magnesium, ethanolamine phosphate, calcium magnesium phosphoserine, medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil"?

Anytime someone recommends that, I think... yeah ocular and liver damage are fun. At least when you're on it, you won't care, right?

Anything in large amounts would damage something, you're right! 

I, myself, take SJW's tea instead of extracted capsules or concentrations...

I'd place a notice for Valerie in my above comment.

Edited by psychejunkie, 21 June 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#13 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

This post has provoked a deeply uncomfortable response in me; I feel strongly compelled to try to figure out a solution for you. That’s what I like about this board—we’re all in this together and we should all feel a strong obligation to pool our knowledge for the betterment of the community as a whole. At this point the only thing I can suggest you try is my own personal sleep hygiene cocktail—two milligrams of etizolam, one milligram of prazosin, three grams (or ¾ of a teaspoon) of glycine, and 300 micrograms (that’s micrograms, not milligrams) of melatonin dissolved in DMSO and administered transdermally. It works better than anything else I’ve ever tried. As I mentioned in another thread, I once went almost two full months without a single nocturnal awakening, which is astounding based on my history of sleep issues, which dates back over 40 years. I’ve had insomnia issues my entire life, even as far back as grade school. This really works—it puts me to sleep and keeps me there. All four of these compounds are inexpensive and easily obtainable. I’d say give it a shot. At this point you have nothing to lose.

• Informative x 1

#14 Avocet

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions and kindness.  I actually feel slightly less alone and hopeless now - so thank you.  I'll start with the Enerphos and Inositol first, and then try the other options, one by one - hopefully something will work, eventually.  

I think I might put in an order for some etizolam in any case - thanks Heisenburger.  

I'm finding it so hard to slow my heart rate down, despite doing the breathing exercises - is there any other physical way of doing this, does anybody know?  

Thanks again.

#15 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:29 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions and kindness.  I actually feel slightly less alone and hopeless now - so thank you.  I'll start with the Enerphos and Inositol first, and then try the other options, one by one - hopefully something will work, eventually.  

I think I might put in an order for some etizolam in any case - thanks Heisenburger.  

I'm finding it so hard to slow my heart rate down, despite doing the breathing exercises - is there any other physical way of doing this, does anybody know?  

Thanks again.

You are not alone, Valerie!  :)

Practice the Breathing Exercise everyday and you'd eventually learn the skill of normalizing your heart rate/panic episode.

you can try breathing into a bag for some moments, This is whats suggested in this situations when breathing exercise doesn't work.

also taking Propranolol 10 mg is another option in severe/dangerous situations of increased heart rate/panic.

About Inositol, I had read somewhere that Inositol decreases Testosterone/Androgen levels (Although I am not fully sure about this statement), and due to your currently low androgens level, I suggest you to take care with it and try low doses first.\

I am looking for your progress/updates Valerie.

Best wishes

#16 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:29 AM

One interesting addition to my sleep regime is Galantamine.  Easy to get OTC through Powder City.  It has really increased the frequency and clarity of my dreams.  To the point that I would say I've been the closest I've ever experienced to lucid dreaming.  In fact, a couple times the dreams were so vivid, so intense, I felt like I was tripping on LSD.

Long story short, the intensity of the dreams left me MORE tired at first, but soon I felt "caught up" with my REM sleep and had the odd sensation that my brain was "repairing" itself.

Now, I have both sleep apnea and idiopathic narcolepsy, so who knows what my regular sleep architecture is like-- but until I became regularly compliant with my CPAP, and it took me years, I was a chronic insomniac-- far worse than you describe.

I would regularly be unable to sleep for 3-4 days at a time.  Totalled 5 cars because of daytime sleepiness, and soon became clinically depressed.

Oh, if you are just looking to knock yourself out for a night's sleep I'd recommend 3-6 mg Melatonin and whatever you find to be an effective dose of baclofen.  I far prefer baclofen for sleep over Phenibut (which isn't nearly as sedating and can make you a little too happy to sleep. :) )  

Never had any experience with GHB, but when I finally get my new sleep doctor from the Mayo Clinic I plan to experiment with XREM and will post my thoughts.

• Informative x 1

#17 littlePawn

• 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:00 AM

If the natural extract remedies others suggested are not working (and hopefully they will) this is what I would recommend: Consult a psychiatrist and request a prescription for zolpidem (ambien). Use it sparingly, 5mg when needed, before sleep, or when you wake up early (2am). Don't take this continuously, just the one packet to help you get back into a healthy sleep routine. After all, you need to experience what a good rest feels like again.

In my opinion this is a less addictive and safer form than taking phenibut and other legal OTC's which are stronger and have worse side effects. Also, try putting a few drops of lavender oil on the pillow. It may work wonders too.

#18 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

First please do yourself a favour and don't take drugs.
Secound buy some co enzymed B vitamin complex.
Thirdly buy some cheap Zinc supplement.
Forth get hold of some Magnesium chloride flakes.
Lastly buy some Niacinimide 500mg tablets.

Don't go to bed hungry. Be aware that Gluten from all current Wheat sources is GMO and will damage your guts and all your internal body parts.

Use quarter dosing with the B complex, if you get angry with the Zinc just get some Molybdenum to work with it. How to make Magnesium Oil is on Utube, you don't have to cover your whole body in it lol.
Take the Niacinimide now and then.
I find ZMA is a good suplement for sleep.

When you undertake the above recommendations you will sleep. You will sleep so well that the first time may take a while, some say all weekend, some say 12 hours, there's many factors. After the first time getting good quality sleep your normal sleep duration maybe shortend to as little as three and a half hours, this is quite normal, I hope you don't get bored, Molybdenum, I found stops the anxiety of boredom (you heard it here first).

If you don't feel you need any of the above, then you are skating on thin ice my friend, good luck.

#19 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

Inability to get out of bed in the morning is probably due to an L~Tyrosine inbalance caused by the high presence of Tryptophan(Niacinimide, potatoes, grains, etc) in your diet. Get some Tyrosine and again please use quarter doses and DO NOT take daily!!!!!
I consider myself a sleep expert and understand that diet is the starting point for most things personal. If the parasites have eaten you, their toxins will leave you with sleep disturbances, use Teatree oil directly, twice a day, watch your omega 3 balance and get enough D3 (don't take it all week long, remember the 40 day half life of D3!) DMSO is a must have for the medicine cabnet.

Don't use Melanin either, it puts people to sleep by draining the mineral ions (electrolytes) from the blood that turns off the nerve cells(if your body adapts to the chemistry your insomnia WILL return. Eating potassium rich foods has the same effect, they make you passive(weak) and gay(feminine). You have been warned.

Edited by Multivitz, 01 July 2016 - 12:28 PM.

• Ill informed x 1

#20 Avocet

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:07 PM

UPDATE:  Still struggling badly. I've been trying the Enerphos plus Niacinimide with melatonin, but to little avail.   Have recently had a couple of nights with no sleep at all.  Have ordered some etizolam, but my package seems to be stuck in customs limbo - I think it's a banned substance now here in the UK.  This is definitely a stress-related thing.  The moment I plan something which involves leaving the house/social interaction my panic skyrockets and my sleep is doomed.  The panic levels are so high that even attempting relaxation/breathing techniques seem to make it worse, paradoxically.

So, I saw a psychiatrist for an hour (have been on the NHS waiting list for over 6 months for this.)  He muttered vaguely about cyclothymia, which I wasn't expecting.  He has prescribed me Quetiapine 50 mg at night, can increase to 100mg if needed. Really don't know what to make of this diagnosis/prescription. I'll start it tonight and will keep you updated.  Thanks for reading and thanks for everyone's input - I really appreciate it.

Edited by Valerie Jane, 09 July 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#21 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:42 AM

UPDATE:  Still struggling badly. I've been trying the Enerphos plus Niacinimide with melatonin, but to little avail.   Have recently had a couple of nights with no sleep at all.  Have ordered some etizolam, but my package seems to be stuck in customs limbo - I think it's a banned substance now here in the UK.  This is definitely a stress-related thing.  The moment I plan something which involves leaving the house/social interaction my panic skyrockets and my sleep is doomed.  The panic levels are so high that even attempting relaxation/breathing techniques seem to make it worse, paradoxically.

So, I saw a psychiatrist for an hour (have been on the NHS waiting list for over 6 months for this.)  He muttered vaguely about cyclothymia, which I wasn't expecting.  He has prescribed me Quetiapine 50 mg at night, can increase to 100mg if needed. Really don't know what to make of this diagnosis/prescription. I'll start it tonight and will keep you updated.  Thanks for reading and thanks for everyone's input - I really appreciate it.

Hello Valerie, 

nice to see you here again  :)

I believe your psychiatrist did prescribe the right thing.

Although, it wouldn't do much about your insomnia directly, But Quetianpine will regulate your emotions and mood in long-term use, and decreased panic episodes as the results. This will help you get some restful sleeps.

Quetianpine mostly has stabled results in long-term use. So, don't stop it if you didn't see any benefit in first few weeks! continue to take it at least for three/two months.

and if you didn't see any benefits, even after some months, do not discontinue it suddenly! gradually decrease your dose(s) in weeks.

I hope you find your wished dreams  :happy:

Edited by psychejunkie, 10 July 2016 - 04:42 AM.

• like x 1

#22 The Capybara

• 196 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

Aerobic exercise in the daytime is essential.

That may be enough.

If it were me, I'd immediately try propranolol as needed before sleep.

I wouldn't use any other beta blocker for this trial.

Maybe begin with 10mg and go up to 40mg or so if needed.

This should stop the autonomic feedback in the middle of the night and before sleep.

It takes about 45 minutes to work.

Yeah, the benzodiazapines will eventually cause addiction, but what's your quality of life right now?

I'd add this as needed for anxiety, although the propranolol may very well address that issue.

Boosting your growth hormone levels will very likely help your sleep considerably. There are many ways to do this.

I am not a physician, but that's how I would play this one.

• Informative x 1

#23 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:09 PM

Try the following for a week or two:

1.  Wake up with the sun (~6 AM).  

2.  Be exposed to bright light in the AM, even if you work in a closed office.  Get a blue light (philips, etc.) and turn it on for at least 15 minutes.  It cannot be just a couple minutes.  If your office/works gets no natural light, try to change the light bulbs to natural light, high lux.

3.  Eat breakfast and lunch.  Skip dinner always.

4.  Take Niagen (nicotinamide riboside) or Nicotinic Acid with breakfast.

5.  No caffeine or calories after 2 PM.

6.  Exercise daily.  Doesn't matter if it's 5 PM after work.  Do not eat anything after 2 PM.  Drink water only after workout.

7.  Go to bed with the sunset or an hour or two after.  Even at 7 or 8 PM.  Go to sleep (if you can).  Also avoid bright lights later in the day that may disrupt your melatonin secretion.  Avoid excessive stimulation in the hour or two before sleep.

8.  Do not drink excessive amounts of water before sleep (causing you to need to wake up and go to the bathroom later).

If you keep waking up the middle of the night, that may be normal.  It's not abnormal to sleep for 3-4 hrs, then wake up for two hrs.  It's called bimodal or biphasic sleep.  It's actually perfectly natural.  But, you should be able to go back to sleep and get very deep rested sleep thereafter for another 2-4 hrs after that period of wakefulness.  You can google around Roger Ekirch and bimodal sleep for more info.

If adrenaline or cortisol mid-night is causing you to wake up and stay awake, maybe look for a prescription for prazosin.  

Edited by prophets, 10 July 2016 - 11:11 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#24 Avocet

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:06 PM

UPDATE

So I've been on the Quetiapine for 5 days  with mixed results.  First night I slept about 6 hours, which for me is brilliant, but since then I'm still waking up at 3am.  The first few days I just felt 'drugged' and dead inside.  Last night I hardly slept again and am feeling the blackest depression I've felt for a while - cannot control the crying, it's horrific.  Also, I'm continuing to lose weight fast - I though Quetipine was supposed to make you gain weight, but I'm finding it increasingly hard to eat and am now lighter than I was at age 13. 

I don't know what to do.  At the dose I'm on (50mg) is Quetiapine anything but an expensive anti-histamine?  

Can I expect any improvement in the depression on this drug, or should I be asking for an actual anti-depressant at this stage? Fluvoxamine maybe?   Can't see the psychiatrist for another 6 months and my GP is hopeless...

Once I'm feeling a bit stronger I'm going to try the High Intensity exercise to boost growth hormone etc, but feel too weak atm. 

#25 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

Sounds like you might have RLS. More common in women than men and has to do with genetic alleles regarding to Tyrosine Hydroxylase. Iron deficiency is a symptom and increasing iron levels can eliminate the problem or at least reduce it. Furthermore, dopamine agonists seem to help.

The reason why I thought of it was because you had a good initial effect. That suggests there was some excitement at first that was soon subsided, a common trait of slight dopaminergic activity.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#26 begob

• 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

Hi - sorry to hear you're still suffering.

I second the recommendation of glycine. I take it with a night time herbal tea half hour before bed, level teaspoon - about 3 g. It's been shown to help with sleep maintenance in men at that dose, and a couple of my relatives confirmed that after I introduced them to it. I'm very familiar with the misery of waking up unrefreshed, and this certainly wipes out most of that. Glycine is also anxiolytic and has the added benefit of being sweet enough to replace sugar as your daily sweetener - just be aware of increased protein intake.

Also in the tea: 200 mg l-theanine + tablespoon of saturated sea-salt water.

I also second magnesium, but transdermally. There is controversy over whether that delivery mechanism is effective, but I'm sold on it. But you have to get a big dose. My method is to put a slightly heaped teaspoon (about 5 g) of epsom salt in an egg cup, top up with hot water to dissolve the crystals, and when cooled to tolerable temperature massage into ribcage/chest/underarms. Takes a few minutes, leaves almost no residue. If it does feel grainy, splash your hands with extra water and keep rubbing!

Finally, I recommend a level teaspoon of turmeric + ground black pepper, morning and evening. On the assumption that some anxiety is caused by low level inflammation, and that curcumin and other compunds in turmeric are anti-inflammatory, you may find it surprisingly effective.

You'll find a way, just keep trying.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: insomnia, anxiety, depression, phosphorylated serine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users