• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Immortals in Sydney

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Fiona

• 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 02:25 AM

Hi
I am a student from the Australian Film, TV & Radio School, and I am
trying to get in touch with someone in Sydney Australia who I can talk to about
immortality. would really appreciate it if you could advise me of any
contacts here.
Best regards
Fiona

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 02:36 AM

Welcome Fiona,
I'll post these as I find them...
------
Shane (Another God)
At UNSW studying Molecular Biology, Philosophy, and History and Philosophy of Science and Technology. White water kayaking, Canyoning, Gymnastics, Sky Diving, Hiking, Snowboarding, Wakeboarding. + more
http://www.imminst.o...&CODE=03&MID=34
------
Ethical teacher, author ("The Sanctuary Tree" in Damien Broderick (ed.) Strange Attractors, under the name John Playford, The Prisoner Gains a Blurred Skin (short story collection), Black Pepper Press, under the name Nicholas Playford), former policy adviser to federal and State Australian governments (international treaties/counter-terrorism).
http://www.imminst.o...&CODE=03&MID=26
----
Michael Van Diermen
http://www.imminst.o...&CODE=03&MID=54
-----
Emma (Moody Goddess)
Sydney:: Interests: outdoor rec, reading, learning, health
http://www.imminst.o...&CODE=03&MID=35
----
emmie
emmie22001@yahoo.com.au

#3 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 02:48 AM

There are 20+ more.. but these are active members.

ALSO
>Elizabeth Theiler :: Theiler@bigpond.com
>Director
>WORLD FUTURITY FITNESS INSTITUTE (WIFF)
>I have also started an organisation called FUTURITY FITNESS. We offer
>opportunities for humans in the present to extend themselves with the post
>human age in view.

She sent me an email about her new group, not sure if they have a website as of yet.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 stemcellcloning

• 25 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 12:37 PM

Hi fiona,

Im also from Sydney

#5 David

• 618 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 07:54 AM

Oy, BJ, what am I, smoked salmon?

I'll be in Sydney over Chrismas if you want to say G'day, Fiona. Contact me by clicking on the name tag on the top left on this post.

Dave the Aussie! Don't you forget it! So there!

#6 AgentNyder

• 166 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 01:51 PM

Whenever I tell someone that I'm going to get cryonically frozen they just look at me like I'm crazy or something. Ha ha well that's typical. ;)

#7 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:15 PM

Hey Agent Nyder, long time no see ;) How you doin?

#8 AgentNyder

• 166 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome back, DonSpanton. At them moment I am still looking for ways to be financially independent. Because as you know - no money = death. I can't get myself to the cryonics chamber if I'm going to be broke. And the way my health is going I reckon I've only got about another 30 years or so. Because once I'm in my mid-50s I'll probably start deteriotating fast. Or maybe not - but I have to at least assume that to give myself a greater sense of urgency.

Oh - and I almost got completely owned the other day when I drove straight into oncoming traffic. One second later and I would have been dead....

#9 immortal

• 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:37 AM

I'm another Immortalist, just a fledgling one. I became interested in immortality after being informed on the subject by people with first hand experience of dying that there is no afterlife. I'd be interested in attending a gathering of other Immortsalists if it could be organised. I'm constantly driving to Sydney from Canberra and would find it very easy to jaunt up for the oppotunity of meeting similarly interested people. For more about me visit www.immortalitybreached.com.

#10 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:00 AM

Well I am still around and eternally interested in discussing immortality. I have finally finished my degree (just completed my honours research mid way through november), and now that I am out of uni again, I feel the need to start talking to ppl and meeting ppl and participating again.

Its actually really frustrating being in molecular biology, even considering that the lab i was working in wasa yeast lab, my supervisor was David sinclairs honours and PHD supervisor (sinclair is one of the leading researchers on Caloric restriction mimicing drugsatm), and the lab has a whole section dedicated to oxidative dmg, and yet the idea of talking to people about longevity and lifespan in humans etc...is non-existent. This is my whole driving force for my molecular biology interest, and i spent a whole year doing research, and while the topic was somewhat related to ageing and caloric restriction, i felt like I havent thought about this stuff for years.

So here I am. Use me. I want to be active.

#11 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:02 AM

I'll just say, I live in Randwick now, if anyone wants to make contact, I would love to hear from you.

shanegreenup@hotmail.com, email me, or use that address to contact me on MSN. I am nearly always online.

#12 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:06 AM

Welcome back, Shane... and appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge with ImmInst.

#13 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:05 AM

Nyder, we should talk. It sounds like we ahve a lot in common :)
And I don't think I ever did hear from Fiona...

#14 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:29 AM

yet the idea of talking to people about longevity and lifespan in humans etc...is non-existent

Really, even with Sinclair himself?

#15 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

Well Sinclair is no longer in that lab (neither am I btw, that post was over a year ago now ;)). Sinclair did his Honours and PHD research there, that was many years before I started. I am sure he would love to talk about it, but no one else in the lab really did. In fact, my experience of most PHD's was that this was just a job. They had to something, and so they chose biology. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they love it and get enjoyment out of it and all, but Biology will never be just a job for me, its part of my philosophical belief system, it is part of my very purpose (step one anyway).

But I'm sure most people here already understand that.....

#16 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:43 AM

G'day, I am from Canberra as well. I wonder how many of us there are in here :)

I'm another Immortalist, just a fledgling one. I became interested in immortality after being informed on the subject by people with first hand experience of dying that there is no afterlife. I'd be interested in attending a gathering of other Immortsalists if it could be organised. I'm constantly driving to Sydney from Canberra and would find it very easy to jaunt up for the oppotunity of meeting similarly interested people. For more about me visit www.immortalitybreached.com.

#17 magic

• Guest, F@H
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hey guys,

I'm from Sydney as well. And probably the youngest one. [tung]

I signed up just over a year ago, forgot I signed up [wis] .

Anyway,
I'm starting my final year of high school, the dreaded HSC [glasses] , and I was just wondering what sort of degree should I be aiming for?(related to the research in immortality of course)

Thanks [lol]

#18 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

I guess its a bit late to respond to your question now isn't it Magic?

What degree did you end up gong for?

#19 magic

• Guest, F@H
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

I guess its a bit late to respond to your question now isn't it Magic?

What degree did you end up gong for?

No not late at all, I'm still in year 12. I just started when i posted that message.

haven't decided yet, so any advice would be great!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users