• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

What's the difference between a SNP and a homozygous mutation?

homozygous mutation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Seeker of Truth

• 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

I am not a geneticist, and am struggling to understand even the basics. I just put my 23 & Me through a program called Decodify and found out I have a bunch of homozygous mutations for physical and mental diseases. Is that the same as a SNP? Would love to know, because I heard those can be circumvented if you change what you do, nutrition, supplements, etc.

#2 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

well, I will look on wikipedia. I think it means that if both of your chromosomes have it, it is a thing, yet if only one chromosome has it, there are usually minimal effects.  a SNP sngle nucleotide polymorphism is where just one amino acid changes at one gene, so SNP is usually heterozygous (one chromosome) ultra rarely both cromosomes (homozygous)

wikipedia says "If both alleles of a diploid organism are the same, the organism is homozygous at that locus. If they are different, the organism is heterozygous at that locus. If one allele is missing, it is hemizygous, and, if both alleles are missing, it is nullizygous."

I think wellness perspective is that if you are homozygous (both codons at each chromosome optimal) for something like low cholesterol then you are happy, if you are homozygous for normal cholesterol you might particularly appreciate exercise fitness.

The decodify thing is a a guide to wellness then as you can adjust your behaviors to be weller longer

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users