Olive oil = antidepressant

olive oil

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vader

• 243 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3725699/

I have found that olive oil has some immediate effects on me, for example i never ever wake up with a morning wood, but 2 tablespoons a day of olive oil make me wake up with one.

I find i'm much more funny when i take olive oil, whenever my depression ceases my humour skyrockets and i become very funny guy.

There is more to it, but i find it surprising that simple oil could benefit depression.

• Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

could be oleuropein. hard to tell, a lot of fat solubles there.

The main phenolic compounds, hydroxytyrosol and oleuropein, give extra-virgin olive oil its bitter, pungent taste... pharmacological activities including antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-atherogenic, anti-cancer activities, antimicrobial activity, antiviral activity, hypolipidemic and hypoglycemic effect.

Neurochemical results showed that repeated administration of olive oil decreased the levels of brain 5-HT (5-hydroxytryptamine), 5-HIAA (5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid), and levels of DA (dopamine); however, levels of DA metabolite HVA (homovalinic acid) were increased. Hence, present findings suggest that olive oil has neuroprotective effects. It reduces behavioral deficits via altering 5-HT and DA metabolism. So it could be used as a therapeutic substance for the treatment of depression and anxiety.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

Olives contain substances which have pro orexogenic effects; orexin is a primary wakefulness hormone also released by MDMA.
  • Informative x 1

#4 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:42 PM

it's interesting, orexin A was being studied years back for being far superior to modafinil in amelorating sleep deprivation symptoms. they said they could keep monkeys awake for weeks on end. i wonder if that caused problems, because sleep is when the glial cells wake up and help excrete unwanted debris. more debris is clearly not good.

#5 Galaxyshock

• 1,468 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:05 AM

I remember olive oil also hitting the endocannabinoid system, someone could check references.

• Disagree x 1

#6 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:01 AM

olive oil is disgusting. ive had many many types of it as im an explorer during my interest in it few years back when i was reading tons of research and journals of how amazing it is and i found out, just like all praised herbs and items out there, its way overrated and its crap.

to explain further, i had almost any store brand to test and compare but also i went further by trying more expensive varieties, those specific being bitter unfiltered ones too, and the difference between them was obviously besides the commercial ones being extra processed oily but sweeter vs rougher and bitter, but also commercial ones made me sicker with a feel of "greasiness" inside that i couldnt stand. bitter more obscure ones on the other hand made me gag of bitterness and also made me sedated, dizzy and confused and i was not sure if i really like that.

anyway, it seems the placebo is strong for the thread starter so he might as well spend more money on this oil believing it works and munch on it like a pig. i personally get sick of even imagining, let alone seeing, any oil now days!

Edited by normalizing, 15 July 2016 - 01:02 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • Disagree x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#7 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

I love olive oil, it's beautiful.

I cook with large amounts of coconut oil.

I occasionally use avocado oil and have recently gone on a break from massive quantities of olive oil.

I am in the UK and am well aware of adulteration of olive oil so am sure to purchase high quality certified oil.

I've done some research on this adulteration issue, so am more clued up as to what to look out for.

From what I've reqd, adulteration of olive oil can involve some disgusting/unhealthy things :/

I remember olive oil also hitting the endocannabinoid system, someone could check references.

Extravirgin olive oil up-regulates CB₁ tumor suppressor gene in human colon cancer cells and in rat colon via epigenetic mechanisms.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25533906

Edited by sativa, 15 July 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#8 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

^ so do like 100 other things. i dont get the point of using oil aka grease but if that gets you off, good luck

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:03 PM

I don't use it for that, I didn't even know it did that until I read this thread.

I use olive oil for it's beneficial health properties, and, more importantly, its exquisite delightful heavenly flavour and texture. Wouldn't you wholeheartedly agree?

Edited by sativa, 15 July 2016 - 08:05 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: olive oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users