habits creativity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 us3yournam3

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

http://www.fastcompa...-creative-minds

Check out this short article. Do you guys have any similar ideas?

The only idea I have is depriving the brain of oxygen, like that Japanese guy, but just holding your breath on dry land as much as you can.

#2 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

Actually I once postulated that the inhibitory effects of smoking/vaping could mostly be contributed to a change in breathing patterns - most notably when you hold in the smoke/vapor until you get a head buzz. I tried merely pretending I was vaping and got a similar buzz after the third breath holding experience. Not breathing for 33% of 5 minutes doesn't sound healthy, but I sure felt relaxed and reorganized very quickly. Could be all a placebo effect, I guess? Not sure how often or long you have to hold your breath to get the benefits of CO2-induced orexin and possibly even the hypoxia-inducible factors like HIF-1 (Noopept's mechanism of action) or whatever else causes the anxiolytic and heart rate changes. Breathing into a paper bag I imagine is more than just a folk remedy. I bet there is some actual science in there worth noting for creative purposes.

The standing on your head sounds like a swell idea. No one likes adrenal toxins...

Edited by devinthayer, 03 August 2016 - 03:32 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

There are countless examples of creative geniuses who insisted on a long walk every day.

Thomas Edison had some funky polyphasic/biphasic sleep patterns.  I think he also did something similar to Salvador Dali, where he held a bowling ball between his legs and when it dropped it hit a pan.

Many creative geniuses, like Churchill, were depressive or manic/depressive, and when they were in a manic phase slept very little, if at all.

Of course, many creative geniuses have epilepsy, including Dostoyevsky, Poe, Tolstoy, DaVinci, Van Gough... the list goes on an on.  Interestingly, some of those cited suffered seizures as the result of alcohol withdrawals (Poe).

I always enjoy the slight mania that large doses of Piracetam seem to produce for me.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do that to me anymore, no matter how much I take.

#4 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

UPDATE:

Tried hypoxia.  Very relaxing.  You take quick inhales to fill up your lungs, hold for a minute.  Do it again and again until you're good re-centered, mind opened again like with an e-cigarette.  Alternatively, I also use meditative breathing: quickly filling up lungs through nose, then 4x slower exhaling.  That pattern is really addictive and makes you happy.  Different strokes for different folks.  I like to do 5 minutes of each while driving for a nice rush.  Don't tell my mom. ;)  :-D

Tried headstands.  Hurt my neck, but it had a great effect on thought clarity.  Switching to an inversion table.  Same idea, less stress on the back.  I'm picking it from Wally World on Monday.  Will post an update.

#5 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:10 PM

Related: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17624786

Don't hold your breath, haha.

#6 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

Related: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17624786

Don't hold your breath, haha.

But seriously do.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#7 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

The inversion table is a strange experience. I would say it is nice to get some thinking time for yourself to just hang about. I would not say it was stimulating, much more the opposite. In fact, I would say it gives you a more relaxed state of mind for nearly an hour. Perhaps in quicker bursts you could have a more stimulating effect - rocking a few times for five minutes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: habits, creativity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users