a good idea ?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 Farhad

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:08 AM

Now, the moment we're born, we were destined to die, it's common knowledge.
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#3 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:01 AM

With that in mind, do you neglect all medical treatment because you are "destined to die?" Probably not. Medical treatments and using science to stay healthy are also a sort of life extension...not enough in my opinion but they help. what about cancer? That's associated with ageing. Would you refuse cancer treatment or treatment for any other disease associated with that disgusting scourge called ageing?

Edited by Droplet, 22 November 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#4 Farhad

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

With that in mind, do you neglect all medical treatment because you are "destined to die?" Probably not. Medical treatments and using science to stay healthy are also a sort of life extension...not enough in my opinion but they help. what about cancer? That's associated with ageing. Would you refuse cancer treatment or treatment for any other disease associated with that disgusting scourge called ageing?
now where I was going, death is an inevitability. Getting sick by age is however not incurable, there is a major difference by death and classifying death by old age as a sickness....

#5 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:58 PM

now where I was going, death is an inevitability. Getting sick by age is however not incurable, there is a major difference by death and classifying death by old age as a sickness....

Yes but all before us have died of something. They didn't die of nothing; they died of a specific malady or set of maladies. Should we stop fighting against the diseases that kill us? You aren't aruguing that -- at least in your own case when you get one of the diseases destined to kill you, you'll then grab at anything to help cure you. Unless you're suicidal, which I understand, sometimes life is worse than death.

#6 Farhad

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:14 AM

Yes but all before us have died of something. They didn't die of nothing; they died of a specific malady or set of maladies. Should we stop fighting against the diseases that kill us? You aren't aruguing that -- at least in your own case when you get one of the diseases destined to kill you, you'll then grab at anything to help cure you. Unless you're suicidal, which I understand, sometimes life is worse than death.
true, I mean it's human nature to try avoiding death, I get what you mean but death is essentially an end, not a malady.

#7 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

That end should be a choice, not something forced onto everyone. Even if you couldn't live forever, the current human lifespan is a cruel joke. What about people who have only just got their lives together only to be told that it is almost the end? What about people who want to learn more and contribute more? We should not be limited like this and having the limit removed will force people to consider the impact that they have on the planet and resources, as they will have to live with the consequences.

• Agree x 1

#8 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Everything that has a beginning, has an end.

#9 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

Everything that has a beginning, has an end.

In the end, yes but we can choose that ending. Ageing is a horrible and premature ending. At the end of time, the universe may cease to exist but we don't have to settle for dying from a disease and we CAN try to defeat ageing. For life to end after only 70 or so years average is just not fair and we shouldn't be sitting back and accepting it, especially not now technologies are advancing and we will be able to rid ourselves of this ancient curse.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users