• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Shaken - Not Stirred: Are all C60-OO adducts created equal?

#kelseys_mice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Shaken - Not Stirred: Are all C60-OO adducts created equal? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you shake your homemade C60OO?

1. Yes (8 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. No (6 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:37 PM

In the interest of science -- and data regarding the process of making C60OO , please participate in the poll.  Feel free to post as well.

I'm of the firm opinion as of now, that the issue with Kelsey's mice is one of food or olive oil contamination, or some other environmental issue, and has absolutely nothing to do with the C60 used.  It could also be a de-novo mutation of the AML cell line used that caused it to be more invasive and robust.

PAHs, and other related volatile compounds are known contaminants of olive oil, and also known carcinogens in mice.

Have at it!

Edited by sensei, 13 August 2016 - 07:40 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 3
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

I voted "No" because I mix my c60 with a magnetic stirrer for 2 weeks a la Baati.  But lately I've been taking it with Good Seasons mix on my salads in combo with Balsamic Vinegar. Which is shaken.  So I guess I do both. :)

Howard

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kmoody

• Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

I'm of the firm opinion as of now, that the issue with Kelsey's mice is one of food or olive oil contamination, or some other environmental issue, and has absolutely nothing to do with the C60 used.

It is ignorant and irresponsible to make claims without adequate (or in this case, any) supporting data. We found no evidence of food contamination. We found no evidence of olive oil contamination. We found no evidence of environmental issues.

What we did find was substantial evidence of epoxide formation in C60oo from vendors. We replicated this finding and also were able to form our own by light exposing a batch we made. The light exposed batch was lethal to the mice that received it.

Your opinion may be firm but the evidence in support of it could use some work.

It could also be a de-novo mutation of the AML cell line used that caused it to be more invasive and robust.

The AML cell line used was taken from the same lot, so no, this is not a potential confounding variable.

• Informative x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#4 zen

• 139 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:40 AM

What we did find was substantial evidence of epoxide formation in C60oo from vendors. We replicated this finding and also were able to form our own by light exposing a batch we made. The light exposed batch was lethal to the mice that received it.

AFAIR it was not just any light but rather you have exposed it directly to the light from the UV lamp, am I correct?
I think I have asked this before but I don't think you have answered, how long was the C60oo exposed to the UV lamp in your experiment?

​Just to be clear, I am glad you have discovered the problem with epoxide formation and warned us about it.
I am asking the question simply to have some idea how much light exposure is needed for the amount of epoxides to reach a dangerous levels.

​In other words, how real is this danger in the case of home made C60oo which was kept in darkness during the mixing and stored in the freezer afterwards?

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#5 kmoody

• Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

We saw this result from sunlight exposure and from uv lamp exposure. We have not characterized the rate at which the epoxides form yet, nor have we determined what amount (if any) are acceptable in a formulation.

#6 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

AFAIR it was not just any light but rather you have exposed it directly to the light from the UV lamp, am I correct?
I think I have asked this before but I don't think you have answered, how long was the C60oo exposed to the UV lamp in your experiment?

​Just to be clear, I am glad you have discovered the problem with epoxide formation and warned us about it.
I am asking the question simply to have some idea how much light exposure is needed for the amount of epoxides to reach a dangerous levels.

​In other words, how real is this danger in the case of home made C60oo which was kept in darkness during the mixing and stored in the freezer afterwards?

Long wave light is also a problem. Red light that easily penetrates the amber glass in which vendors bottle this stuff will produce C60 epoxides. 

The incoming photon (1.8 eV) excites an electron in the C60 to the first excited state, followed by internal conversion and inter-system crossing to form a triplet excited state; in the presence of oxygen, triplet energy transfer occurs and produces singlet oxygen; the simultaneous presence of triplet excited state C60 and singlet oxygen then produces fullerene oxide . . . Four light sources were evaluated, specifically: a 633 nm, 4 mW, HeNe laser, a 100 W, Mercury UV-A (365 nm) lamp, a high intensity white light, and ambient laboratory light (detailed in Section S3). The most effective light source was found to be the red laser source, with the highest irradiance, and was thus employed for most experiments reported in this study.

http://www.sciencedi...021979715000326

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users