- - - - -

Galantamine: Glutamate to Creatine Ratio Association

galantamine glutamate glutamine creatine cognition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 farware

• 131 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

So while researching Huperzine I stumbled onto Galantamine as an alternative with less side effects and potentially less dopamine boost. 

According to one source Galantamine increases glutamate release in the hippocampus 

The increase in glutamate may be related to the action of galantamine as an allosteric potentiating ligand for presynaptic nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, which increases glutamatergic neurotransmission. 

http://www.life-enha...ampal-cognition

Furthermore, the increase in glutamate was found to help stimulate post-synaptic N-methyl-D-aspartic acid (NMDA) receptors and this produced positive effects on learning and memory. The authors thus concluded that the increase in glutamate in the hippocampus may be related to the second action of galantamine, i.e, as an allosteric potentiating ligand for nicotinic receptors. Finally, this action by galantamine may also prevent glutamate neurotoxicity, the ensuing death (apoptosis) of neurons containing glutamate.

1) Does anyone know how the glutamate/creatine ratio affects cognitive processes? So do I want this ratio to be high at all times? 

2) A followup, how do you think could the glutamate release / transmission be impaired in mental disorders and can particles that pass through the blood-brain-barrier potentially disrupt this ratio? 

During my research I identified it as a supplement frequently used to treat autistic kids. 

Reduced cingulate glutamate/glutamine-to-creatine ratios in adult patients with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder -- a magnet resonance spectroscopy study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17303167

Brain glutamate levels measured by magnetic resonance spectroscopy in patients with bipolar disorder: a meta-analysis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22834460

The results of this meta-analysis suggest that brain Glx levels are elevated in BD patients and support the idea that glutamate might play an important role in the pathophysiology of BD.

Not for the first time have elevated levels of glutamate and lower levels of glutamine been reported in autism research.

http://questioning-a...and-autism.html

3) Does galantamine actually reduce glutamate in other areas of the brain by enhancing the release in the hippocampus? Any studies?

Edited by farware, 14 August 2016 - 11:13 AM.

#2 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

Well, supplemental creatine is known to boost levels across the brain, and too much glutamate often comes at the cost of glutamate receptors. So try not to put too much weight on this ratio.

Interestingly, huperzine blocks NMDARs.. that can increase receptor levels. It's hard to decide which one's better.. probably galantamine.

On point 3, yes the striatum and frontal love often have opposite expressions, e.g. hyperdopaminergia vs hypodopaminergia

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:12 PM

I'll tell you what, I have NEVER experienced anything like the vivid dreams I had while taking galantamine!  Without a doubt it is doing SOMETHING.

I was taking it per Lostfalco's suggestion (though he pairs it with Ibutilast) as a nootropic/mood enhancing combo and it didn't seem effective as a nootropic in the short term.  

However, I have sleep apnea and idiopathic narcolepsy and it sure the heck was doing something to my sleep architecture!  My REM episodes were so intense I actually felt MORE tired when I woke up.

I really wonder if I had continued taking galantamine alone, over an extended period of time, what the effect would have been.

In fact, this post made me realize I need to give it a longer trial.

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: galantamine, glutamate, glutamine, creatine, cognition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users