Anti-Aging protocol sum - Your thoughts

protocol anti-aging summary

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

Dr. Rhonda Patrick had this to say about lectins.

The topic of “anti-nutrients” in foods has gained popularity. Both food and bacteria may express A and B-like antigens. These type of antigens are found everywhere throughout nature including lectins, which are more concentrated in beans. Heat from cooking destroys lectins most of the time. The connection between lectins destroying gut barrier has mostly been blown out of proportion without any substantive evidence. Most studies have been done by dumping a high concentration of isolated lectins onto cultured cells. It is all about the dose. Too much of a good thing can be toxic.   No studies have been done with feeding mice or people beans and measuring endotoxin release.   

The major problem with lectins can be at high concentrations in people that already have gut problems. Since the gut barrier is already compromised then lectins may aggravate an already primed immune system.

Thanks. And you're right that the blood type diet is pretty much debunked.

So, lectin sensitivity is regulated by genes (?)

I think there is an ongoing heated discussion about if and what lectins/anti-nutrients are bad to whom.

According to this, there is already an ongoing international research about (wheat)lectins.

So. Let's wait and see.

@albedo
Thanks. Good news ! Is there already some more information about what the algorithms came up with so far ?

#62 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

Another interesting topic i currently follow is the upcoming of cheap, portable microfluidic & dna reader devices (eg. nanopore).

Seems, soon we all finally have small, cheap blood/disease tests available. And get a better, more regular view on many things.

There is currently a lot going on in microfluidics. Blood tests, "organs on a chip", "trees on a chip" ...

Like this

"A low-cost microfluidic chip can rapidly detect disease-related RNA or DNA in blood samples"

http://medicalphysic.../research/68404

And also some interesting therapeutic features:

"Several microfluidic techniques  can separate infected red blood cells from the healthy ones"

https://t.co/Bv4epQ4T3u

There are also some DIY 3d printed microfluidic devices and you can buy stackable microfluidic modules.

But at the current point i couldn't find any ready available DIY 3d printable microfluidic blood test blueprints. And i lack the knowledge to build,stack,3d print an own one.

Edited by Florian E., 25 April 2017 - 07:06 PM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

And, i'm also trying to find out what supplement to best take at which time according to "circadian rhythm"

AsianJPharm_2011_5_1_1_80057_f3.jpg

Source: https://selfhacked.c...rcadian-rhythm/

Nicotinamide riboside for example is something you should take deep at night, right ?

And there is a negative reciprocal regulation between Sirt1 and Per2 (autophagy).

So, does it mean autophagy supplements should be taken during the day ?

And what is for example the best time for DNA repair (DNA-PK) ?

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

.....So, does it mean autophagy supplements should be taken during the day ? ....

Just in case there was a discussion on this aspect also here in particular re IP6: http://www.longecity...and-macrophagy/

• Good Point x 1

#65 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

@albedo
Thanks. Good news ! Is there already some more information about what the algorithms came up with so far ?

Thank you Florian. Beside the LEF product quoted in my post I am not aware of others. But the all AI applied on aging is going fast and I would not be surprised of both other products coming fast at LEF (they have a partnership) on the supplementation area and specif drugs repurposing. I understand there is some sound criticism by SENS based on their metabolism vs repair approach but I think there is complementarity and the work Insilico making is very useful e.g. defining aging biomarkers and supporting aging classified as a disease.

#66 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

And, i'm also trying to find out what supplement to best take at which time according to "circadian rhythm"

Nicotinamide riboside for example is something you should take deep at night, right ?

And there is a negative reciprocal regulation between Sirt1 and Per2 (autophagy).

Florian, the discussion here pushed me to move a supplement I take which has been effective to lower my iron (IP6) to during the day (and empty stomach).

Also, as you study supplementation vs. circadian rhythms, you might find interesting the following paper and possibly make a match with your findings. I did not study this aspect but spot something related on diurnal oscillation of microbiota:

Asher G, Sassone-corsi P. Time for food: the intimate interplay between nutrition, metabolism, and the circadian clock. Cell. 2015;161(1):84-92.

• Informative x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#67 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

Until now my impression has been that NR should be taken in the morning and SIRT activity inducing things like NR and anything else should be daytime, with perhaps melatonin or something at night. 

Edited by Nate-2004, 29 April 2017 - 04:17 PM.

#68 Oakman

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

previous post...on NR and our daily cycles >  http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=656117

sg6g5z.jpg

• Informative x 1

#69 Oakman

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:38 PM

Shedding new light on circadian rhythms

"It appears that expression of at least 10% of our genes is regulated by our biological clocks.  So, the biological impacts of many things we do – including exercise and other interventions affecting aging – are highly dependent on the states of our clocks when we do them.  And those actions may in turn affect the states and functioning of our clocks."

circad15.jpg

• Informative x 1

#70 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

Just wanted to give an update to one of my earlier posts in this thread about the ubiquitin ligase CHIP.

There is a new publication about its real function. And that is imo very interesting.

Early in evolution, sugar intake and the regulation of life span were linked with each other. The hormone insulin is crucial here. It reduces blood sugar levels by binding to its receptor on the cell surface. However, many processes for stress management and survival are shut down at the same time. When there is a good supply of food, they appear unnecessary to the organism, although this reduces life expectancy over the long term. The insulin receptor thus acts like a brake on life expectancy. Genetically altered laboratory animals in which the insulin receptor no longer functions actually live much longer than normal. But how is the insulin receptor normally kept in check in our cells and tissue? A recent study by scientists at the Universities of Cologne and Bonn answers this fundamental question.

The team of researchers shows that the protein CHIP plays a crucial role here. It acts like a disposal helper, in that it supplies the insulin receptor to the cellular breakdown and recycling systems by affixing a "green dot" in the form of the molecule ubiquitin onto the receptor. The life expectancy brake is thus released and CHIP unfurls anti-aging activity. "CHIP fulfils this function in nematodes, as well as in fruit flies and in humans. This makes the protein so interesting for us," explains Prof. Thorsten Hoppe, one of the two lead authors of the study from the Cluster of Excellence CECAD at the University of Cologne.

When CHIP is missing, it leads to premature aging

The findings were initially very surprising, as CHIP had so far been associated with completely different breakdown processes. Specifically, CHIP also disposes of faulty and damaged proteins, which increasingly occur at an older age and the accumulation of which leads to dementia and muscle weakness. The researchers actually recreated such degenerative illnesses in the nematode and in human cells and observed that there was no longer enough CHIP available to break down the insulin receptor. Premature aging is the result.

Can the dream of a fountain of youth be made a reality and life extended in that researchers encourage cells to form more CHIP? "Unfortunately, it's not that easy," says lead author Prof. Jörg Höhfeld from the Institute for Cell Biology at the University of Bonn. When there is too much CHIP, undamaged proteins are also recycled and the organism is weakened. However, the researchers are already looking for mechanisms that control CHIP when breaking down the insulin receptor and that could one day also be used for new treatments.

So, hopefully soon there will be progress on compounds for repletion and/or stabilization of age related CHIP problems !

But what about this part ??!

Genetically altered laboratory animals in which the insulin receptor no longer functions actually live much longer than normal

How did they feed these animals....

I can't imagine that knocking out the insulin receptor in humans would't lead to some bad consequences. (???)

Edited by Florian E., 29 May 2017 - 11:34 PM.

#71 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

Regarding the part about insulin receptors I'm confused as to why this would let the animals live longer. Isn't insulin resistance and the whole issue with poor insulin response part of the diabetes spectrum? don't see how this would be positive. There's a lot of molecules that serve functions where you have a very limited range for modification, like mentioned above about CHIP. A lot of endogenously produced hormones and messenger particles are basically blocked in I would think. If you go high or low on them it can cause more harm than good.

#72 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

Regarding the part about insulin receptors I'm confused as to why this would let the animals live longer. Isn't insulin resistance and the whole issue with poor insulin response part of the diabetes spectrum? don't see how this would be positive. There's a lot of molecules that serve functions where you have a very limited range for modification, like mentioned above about CHIP. A lot of endogenously produced hormones and messenger particles are basically blocked in I would think. If you go high or low on them it can cause more harm than good.

Yes ! What about diabetes, is exactly the right question.

Over the last days i tried to find out more about this topic and maybe they did only knockout the fat-specific insulin receptor (FIRKO) in mice.

And here is another study with different insulin receptor knockout mice which shows that this is definitely not a healthy thing, per se.

Also i read that this study about positive effects on lifespan with insulin receptor knockout mice will not translate to mammals.

So, in the meanwhile i will continue with diet phases of exogenous Ketones (beta-hydroxybutyrate). Because it doesn't need IGF-1 and would therefore have a similar effect regarding increased body repair, i guess.

Edited by Florian E., 11 June 2017 - 01:06 PM.

#73 Moondancer

• 188 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:17 PM

Darryl, have you seen this study concerning Andrographis Paniculata (as I found on SelfHacked)? What are your thoughts about that?

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23930775

"A novel bioactivity of andrographolide from Andrographis paniculata on cerebral ischemia/reperfusion-induced brain injury through induction of cerebral endothelial cell apoptosis."

Can I ask where you found an andrographis supplement with 30% andrographolide, I can only find extracts with 10% andrographolide thus far. I want to use it for an autoimmune condition with severe inflammation.

The Nrf2 inducer/NF-κB inhibitor I chose is Andrographis paniculata extract, simply because the andrographolide that comprises 30% of extracts is the most potent, relatively non-toxic Nrf2 inducer found in a couple of high-throughput screens. Andrographolide is an irreversible antagonist of NF-κB, and substantial amounts get through the liver and into the systemic circulation.

Shaw et al, 2009. Therapeutics for neurological disorders. U.S. Patent Application 13/125,097.

Smirnova et al, 2011. Development of Neh2-luciferase reporter and its application for high throughput screening and real-time monitoring of Nrf2 activatorsChemistry & biology18(6), pp.752-765.

Panossian et al, 2000. Pharmacokinetic and oral bioavailability of andrographolide from Andrographis paniculata fixed combination Kan Jang in rats and humanPhytomedicine7(5), pp.351-364.

I continue to follow andrographolide science esp toxicology. I haven't seen much to be wary of in my 1 or 2 capsule a day dosing.

As for the oral glutathione someone recommended upthread, Stephen Spindler's lab demonstrated it has no effect in long-lived mice.

Edited by Moondancer, 09 August 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#74 Leon93

• 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:36 PM

Moondancer, as far as I know Darryl ordered them from Pipingrock

Interesting study btw

Edited by Leon93, 05 October 2018 - 07:40 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: protocol, anti-aging, summary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users