• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

QUESTION: Antibiotic Zithromax Dosage for Infection?

antibiotic lyme bartonella babesia

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 birthdaysuit

• 299 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:00 AM

I have tested positive for Lyme, Babesiosis and Bartonella. I'm currently taking a herbal protocol with Malarone, Minocycline, IV Rocephin, Zithromax.

I only recently implemented zithromax into my protocol. It has significantly increased my tissue, bone and joint pain. I have read that the half-life of the drug is 68 hours. That means that it takes 136 hours for this drug to completely leave your system. That's a week. I think I am herxing because Zithromax easily penetrates tissue.

I have read that the FDA has warned that zithromax can cause serious heart problems, although rare, I'm concerned but I also believe it is working in killing Bartonella so I don't want to trash it. However, in my opinion it is a little scary how long it stays in your body, considering the list of side effects. What is the standard protocol for taking zithromax? I'm taking 500mg once a day but it is cumulative and adds up so would I be better off taking it 5 days on 3 days off?

#2 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:42 PM

Hi, i know this isn't a direct answer, it I deemed it relevant - as I understand, colloidal silver will significantly help to resolve Lyme and other infections.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:48 PM

Hi, i know this isn't a direct answer, it I deemed it relevant - as I understand, colloidal silver will significantly help to resolve Lyme and other infections.

I've tried it but the health risks are worrisome. In order for it to work good in vivo a lot is needed and oftentimes with large particle sizes. It caused weird neurological problems as well. If anyone else has any input on dosing Zithromax, it would greatly be appreciated. I want it to settle into my tissues but I don't want it to keep accumulating. I know many doctors cycle it a certain way.

#4 Polyamine

• 47 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

I took 500mg a day of Zithromax for a very long time.  The standard protocol and the protocol for treating Lyme Disease are totally different.  Normal dosage for regular infections is 500mg for 1 day and 250mg daily for 4 more days.  There are other protocols like 500mg daily for 3 days and I've seen 10 day protocols as well.  No one can say if you are better off and I'm not sure pulsing will help when using azithromycin for treating Borrelia.  Your tissue concentration or volume of distribution will not change much by pulsing.  If you really want to improve your volume of distribution and tissue concentration, exercise.  The increase in blood flow to the extracellular matrix increases your immune response where it is often difficult to get access to the pathogens.  This will almost certainly increase your inflammation and pain as your ROS increase.  At least you are seeing a LLMD and moving in the right direction.

• like x 1

#5 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:18 PM

I took 500mg a day of Zithromax for a very long time.  The standard protocol and the protocol for treating Lyme Disease are totally different.  Normal dosage for regular infections is 500mg for 1 day and 250mg daily for 4 more days.  There are other protocols like 500mg daily for 3 days and I've seen 10 day protocols as well.  No one can say if you are better off and I'm not sure pulsing will help when using azithromycin for treating Borrelia.  Your tissue concentration or volume of distribution will not change much by pulsing.  If you really want to improve your volume of distribution and tissue concentration, exercise.  The increase in blood flow to the extracellular matrix increases your immune response where it is often difficult to get access to the pathogens.  This will almost certainly increase your inflammation and pain as your ROS increase.  At least you are seeing a LLMD and moving in the right direction.

I've been doing some serious research regarding the biology of infection with borealis burgdorferi and the hosts immune response in defense. Apart from me having neurological problems i.e. anxiety, restlessness, fight or flight etc., before I was treated with antibiotics, I did not suffer from any moderate joint pain. Honestly, I was able to function and go to work/school, albeit feeling miserable but still being able to perform daily tasks. Now that I'm on IV rocephin and various oral antibiotics I have SEVERE lyme arthritis. I feel like I might be in a wheelchair soon and I'm unable to drive or do simple daily tasks. This is coming from someone who ran 8-12 miles everyday, prior to infection. Now would it be counterproductive to suppress inflammatory cytokines like IL-12 IFN-gamma, etc? Would curcumin be counterproductive? From my understanding patients with low levels of IL-10 have significantly less spirochete load than patients with elevated IL-10. Lyme also elicits IL-10 in order to reproduce more efficiently and create a more susceptible host. Moreover, suppression of Both IL-4 and iL-5 prior to feeding of Lyme bacteria, significantly decreased spirochete load in target organs such as joint, bladder, heart and skin of host. Yet, elevated levels of IL-10 are associated with decreased symptoms of Lyme ARTHRITIS but a larger spirochete load? This is generalized and a reductionist point because we really don't know the state of TH1 and TH2 and the details regarding how Lyme uses it to its benefit but recent studies are starting to look into it. 

So what do I do? Exercise cause my symptoms to flare exponentially and it takes me a few days to recover. I use to smoke marijuana, take curcumin, and lots of anti-inflammatories but maybe I need to take things that aid macrophages in IFN-gamma, IL-12, and natural killer cells. Reishi, Royal jelly, garlic? Idk, just an idea.

#6 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:21 PM

Lyme is like a quadruple edged sword. No matter what you do, it has some sneaky way of manipulating immune function and/or using their sperm like flagella's to scurry away. Honestly, my body feels like a torture chamber or like I'm constantly under water. IV antibiotics have helped tremendously with neurological problems but have exasperated arthritic symptoms. And I talk about Lyme like that's my only infection.

Edited by birthdaysuit, 21 August 2016 - 10:28 PM.

#7 Polyamine

• 47 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:24 AM

You are correct in saying Borrelia burgdoreri is not your only infectious problem.  It is one of many pathogens your body works to eliminate.  What you have to do is find the happy medium in killing pathogens.  Your question is basically "What do I do?"  I can't speak of what you should do but I can tell you what I would do.  The first thing I would do is to evaluate what I ate in an attempt to reduce inflammation.  That would help reduce some of your pain.  I chose the name Polyamine on this forum because of their importance in our lives, especially someone like us who are having problems.  If you research polyamines, you will see that they are biogenic amines that have a multitude of roles in our body.  One such function is to initiate the cytokine cascade.  Our immune system responds to LPS detection by causing extracellular transit of the polyamines.  As this happens more and more due to chronic infection, the quinolinic acid levels increase and our natural feedback loop that determines polyamine metabolism is altered due to lowered pH.  This can prevent intracellular transit back into the cells and when combined with already elevated nitric oxide levels, the pain from inflammation can be heightened.  A reduction of nitrogen intake can reduce polyamine production and when combined with a more alkaline diet, histamine formation is reduced, ammonia formation is reduced, and most importantly, adverse sequelae are reduced.  Reducing protein intake reduces your nitrogen load, reduces an overabundance of gram negative anaerobes like Bilophila wadsworthia that increase ammonia production and absorption, and reduces your methylation pathway.  Knowing the genetics of your methylation pathway can be beneficial because Lyme Disease often causes epigenetic shifts that can contribute to poor health. 

In a nutshell, animal protein is not your friend.  You will still need essential amino acids so limited amounts of protein will still need to be ingested once or twice a week depending on activity level.  Exercising increases the blood flow to the extracellular matrix which increases pathogen exposure to our immune response and a greater pathogen reduction.  This comes at a cost as you have seen.  I don't feel it is in anyone's best interest to try to eliminate all of their pathogens at once and would only treat one at a time.  Since babesiosis reduces immune response, I like to try going after it first.  I have little confidence in Malarone and prefer Mepron with Azithromycin.  At least 4 months would be required and drinking green tea with herbal agents like cryptolepis and artemisia is beneficial.  You will most likely be low on simple amino acids like glycine and proline.  Supplementing them often helps with insomnia. 

The polyamine conversion problem often leads to a reduction in polyvalent cations in the body as they are attached to the DNA/RNA/cAMP complexes that the polyamines are bound.  Manganese is often low because of Borrelia but selenium, chromium, molybdenum, magnesium, copper, and even zinc can be low.  Supplementing with the correct amount of these transition metals can help correct underlying issues in biological functioning as they are substrates for many reactions in the body.  This is why eating is important.  You must increase the nutrients that help you function but also attempt to reduce the nutrients that help the pathogens function.  It starts with protein but if you have biofilm producers, fat is also an issue.  Most pathogens thrive from iron intake so a balance of iron intake must be found.  Many people in our situation have fungal overgrowth from Candida albicans and not enough Saccharomyces strains.  There is a lot to this infectious disease stuff.

• Informative x 1

#8 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

You are correct in saying Borrelia burgdoreri is not your only infectious problem.  It is one of many pathogens your body works to eliminate.  What you have to do is find the happy medium in killing pathogens.  Your question is basically "What do I do?"  I can't speak of what you should do but I can tell you what I would do.  The first thing I would do is to evaluate what I ate in an attempt to reduce inflammation.  That would help reduce some of your pain.  I chose the name Polyamine on this forum because of their importance in our lives, especially someone like us who are having problems.  If you research polyamines, you will see that they are biogenic amines that have a multitude of roles in our body.  One such function is to initiate the cytokine cascade.  Our immune system responds to LPS detection by causing extracellular transit of the polyamines.  As this happens more and more due to chronic infection, the quinolinic acid levels increase and our natural feedback loop that determines polyamine metabolism is altered due to lowered pH.  This can prevent intracellular transit back into the cells and when combined with already elevated nitric oxide levels, the pain from inflammation can be heightened.  A reduction of nitrogen intake can reduce polyamine production and when combined with a more alkaline diet, histamine formation is reduced, ammonia formation is reduced, and most importantly, adverse sequelae are reduced.  Reducing protein intake reduces your nitrogen load, reduces an overabundance of gram negative anaerobes like Bilophila wadsworthia that increase ammonia production and absorption, and reduces your methylation pathway.  Knowing the genetics of your methylation pathway can be beneficial because Lyme Disease often causes epigenetic shifts that can contribute to poor health. 

In a nutshell, animal protein is not your friend.  You will still need essential amino acids so limited amounts of protein will still need to be ingested once or twice a week depending on activity level.  Exercising increases the blood flow to the extracellular matrix which increases pathogen exposure to our immune response and a greater pathogen reduction.  This comes at a cost as you have seen.  I don't feel it is in anyone's best interest to try to eliminate all of their pathogens at once and would only treat one at a time.  Since babesiosis reduces immune response, I like to try going after it first.  I have little confidence in Malarone and prefer Mepron with Azithromycin.  At least 4 months would be required and drinking green tea with herbal agents like cryptolepis and artemisia is beneficial.  You will most likely be low on simple amino acids like glycine and proline.  Supplementing them often helps with insomnia. 

The polyamine conversion problem often leads to a reduction in polyvalent cations in the body as they are attached to the DNA/RNA/cAMP complexes that the polyamines are bound.  Manganese is often low because of Borrelia but selenium, chromium, molybdenum, magnesium, copper, and even zinc can be low.  Supplementing with the correct amount of these transition metals can help correct underlying issues in biological functioning as they are substrates for many reactions in the body.  This is why eating is important.  You must increase the nutrients that help you function but also attempt to reduce the nutrients that help the pathogens function.  It starts with protein but if you have biofilm producers, fat is also an issue.  Most pathogens thrive from iron intake so a balance of iron intake must be found.  Many people in our situation have fungal overgrowth from Candida albicans and not enough Saccharomyces strains.  There is a lot to this infectious disease stuff.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it.

First question, despite all of my terrible joint pain, the worse and most troublesome symptoms is skin pain and sensitivity. I barely can put on a shirt and showers are horrid. What would be causing this, do you have any idea? It it baronella? It is unbearably uncomfortable.

So our immune system causes extracellular transit of the polyamines as a means to fight infection? In the case of Quinolinic acid, which can be detrimental if elevated is this also the bodies way of fighting off infection? Would not low nitric oxide levels create a welcoming environment for the spirochete. Isn't it necessary to increase nitric acid to prevent the suppression of the immune response, which would be associated with increased risk of malignancy. Monocytes and macrophages are mediated by nitric oxide and without them working effectively, Lyme can reproduce more effectively. I want to erradicate Lyme, Babesia and Bartonella but I do not want to hurt myself in the process. I know that die-off releases nuerotoxins like ammonia, so eating an alkaline diet like you said is vital. What foods and/or supplements are good for raising PH?  

Also, antibiotics suppress the immune system and can deplete vital nutrients (b-vitamins, mag., calcium, Vitamin K) so can't Lyme, so wouldn't this lead to similar problems? And even when spirochete load is lessened, wouldn't relapse occur? How can we stop relapse and can we walk around with Lyme and these infections asymptotically, without them causing dementia and detrimental problems down the road? 

So here is what I currently have at home (Asterisked Supplements are what I'm currently taking). Any input on adding things would help greatly. I'm unsure on what I should take and what's appropriate, especially for replenishing vitamins/minerals from antibiotic nutrient depletion as well as balancing out Th1 and TH2. I don't want to overstimulate my immune system but I defiantly don't want to suppress it either.  I'm just not looking to cause more of a hormonal imbalance, I want to fix this.

Monolaurin (Lauricidin); CAUSES MAJOR HERX and mental problems. Worse than any antibiotic herx. Have a whole tub of it, afraid to use. 

*Probiotics; One single strain called Bouliardi or something like that and another probiotic with various other strains. Two times daily.

*I try to juice veggies and a small amount of fruits, everyday.

Whole food B-complex; have yet to use.

Inositol; use to take for OCD tendencies. Helped a lot, had to super-load it. Anti-nutrient at high dosages, so I stopped. Made me feel worse in the end.

*R-Alpha Lipoic Acid; might suppress the immune system, idk

Rhodiola Rosea; greatly reduced my fatigue but caused severe anxiety.

*Reishi mushrooms: I cycle this. I heard it has anti-androgen properties which I don't like. But it bumps up natural killer cells and is all around good for you.

*Turmeric/curcumin w/ Boswellia supplement: Helps with arthritis but wouldn't these herbs cause a TH2 dominance making it much harder for immune system to fight off pathogens? 

*Cowden Protocol (Enula and Semento); Enula prescribed by my LLMD for Babesia and Semento for Lyme, not sure about how effective they are.

Zinc Bisglycinate; only used a handful of times helped with motivation and fatigue.

Olive Leaf Extract; Used for awhile, supposedly good for infections. Stopped for some reason.

Milk Thistle; took for a very long time but stopped because I read that it interacts with antibiotics. Now I'm not really taking anything for my liver though!

GABA; worsened my depressed feelings. No need for it.

Lemon Balm; Messed up my thyroid. No need for it.

Magnesium Citrate: use to use it all the time, not sure about which brand I should get. Always worried about heavy metals and contaminants. Interacts with antibiotics.

Magnesium Malate: same thing, but I do take it from time to time.

RNA supplement: Chiropractor give it to me for free, most likely a worthless supplement.

Real Mushrooms Cordyceps: Helps tremendounsly with fatigue but worsens my anxiety like Rhodiola. Puts me in weird head-space. Not currently taking anymore.

Collagen support: Has a ton of collagen rebuilding amino acids and stuff. Every time I take this supplement, despite what it says about rebuilding collagen I experience SEVERE joint pain.

Vitamin D3: I have low levels. Use to be 49 now its 37. Not sure if supplementing D3 is counterproductive. I think I should take it though.

CREATINE: I remember taking only vitamin D3 and Creatine back in December and I didn't feel like I even had infections. I was exercising but creatine gave me motivation to exercise and I was never intolerant of it. However, stopped taking cause of kidneys.

Supplements that I'm interested in.

Organic Whey.

Glycine; like you said for insomnia.

Vitamin K

Vitamin C/ Lemon and salt protocol

Zithromax 500mg

Malarone twice daily

Minocycline 50mg twice daily

IV Rocephin 2g a/day with aticgall for gallbladder.

Edited by birthdaysuit, 22 August 2016 - 05:07 PM.

#9 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

I eat oysters often, not sure if that feeds the bacteria? Has lots of zinc and cholesterol. I eat veggies but will lessen my animal protein. The meat I do eat is grass fed and usually lamb or chicken. For selenium I eat Brazil nuts, but every time I eat a few my joint pain will worsen.

Luckily I have ZERO GI issues despite the amount of antibiotics I'm taking. Candida albicans test was negative.

#10 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:27 PM

Also, sometimes I never feel like eating and have to force myself. Before infections I was 148lbs late 2014, I'm low 130's now. However, I gained a few pounds recently.

#11 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

I really just need to eat the right foods to replenish my body but even then I never feel replenished. And I know you said to lessen fat intake but I've heard goods things about Ketogenic diet for Lyme. Apparently, Lyme feeds off of sugars, so it might be good to lessen carbs.

Edited by birthdaysuit, 22 August 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#12 fluidity

• 56 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

You sound exactly like me. Everything changed back in 2014 for me as well. I'very certainly picked something up in college which has seriously wrecked havoc on me. My thread on inflammation ruining my life details more about it.

Have you tried to get relief with intestinal binders?

#13 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:04 AM

What exactly are intestinal binders? My GI tract is fine, thank god. I'm just trying to create a mineral/vitamin, herbal protocol that would help balance out my immune system. I find immediate neurological relief with IV Rocephin, just relaxed and happy. In the morning my anxiety comes back in full force though and I'm very restless and sensitive to stimuli such as sounds and lights.

I read your thread, seems like your suffering from similar problems. I think a lot of this stems from a viral or bacterial infection, it least it did for me. The problem is DOCTORS tell me what to take to kill the infection, they don't tell me what to take to feel better. I need a sustainable protocol that would work to replenish lost nutrients from antibiotics and die-off of infections. This would make me feel better but I just wish I knew what exactly to take for these specific infections and what is a worthless supplement. 

#14 Polyamine

• 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

If I was a betting man, I'd bet you acquired a protozoan from the oysters you eat.  I've seen it before.  The literature doesn't say a whole lot about humans getting various Perkinsus species like Perkinsus marinus but who is to say we don't get Perkinsus-like protists that are more Apicomplexan in nature?  Perkinsus does elicit an immune response.  If it were me, I'd try some anti-protozoal protocols and see what happened. 

Borrelia does not feed off of carbs, the yeasts that accompany Lyme feed off of the carbs.  Most people that have Lyme Disease also have a fungal issue.  Borrelia actually utilizes manganese and can deplete its level over time. 

Mollusks and shellfish are two of the most contaminated species of marine life we can eat.  Just think of pollutants sinking to the bottom and they are bottom feeders that filter all of those pollutants.  My recommendation would be to avoid eating those items until you got your condition under control and only then eat them in limited amounts. 

#15 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:03 PM

If I was a betting man, I'd bet you acquired a protozoan from the oysters you eat.  I've seen it before.  The literature doesn't say a whole lot about humans getting various Perkinsus species like Perkinsus marinus but who is to say we don't get Perkinsus-like protists that are more Apicomplexan in nature?  Perkinsus does elicit an immune response.  If it were me, I'd try some anti-protozoal protocols and see what happened. 

Borrelia does not feed off of carbs, the yeasts that accompany Lyme feed off of the carbs.  Most people that have Lyme Disease also have a fungal issue.  Borrelia actually utilizes manganese and can deplete its level over time. 

Mollusks and shellfish are two of the most contaminated species of marine life we can eat.  Just think of pollutants sinking to the bottom and they are bottom feeders that filter all of those pollutants.  My recommendation would be to avoid eating those items until you got your condition under control and only then eat them in limited amounts. 

I've only recently been eating oysters, well after my symptoms manifested. If anything, Oysters help me feel a little better. I only eat them occasionally though, and try to find ones that are harvested in Maine or areas well away from marine pollutants. I use to have a fungal infection but it went away over the past few months.

So would it be wise to eat foods with adequate amounts of Manganese or to withhold on these foods?

#16 fluidity

• 56 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

What exactly are intestinal binders? My GI tract is fine, thank god. I'm just trying to create a mineral/vitamin, herbal protocol that would help balance out my immune system. I find immediate neurological relief with IV Rocephin, just relaxed and happy. In the morning my anxiety comes back in full force though and I'm very restless and sensitive to stimuli such as sounds and lights.

I read your thread, seems like your suffering from similar problems. I think a lot of this stems from a viral or bacterial infection, it least it did for me. The problem is DOCTORS tell me what to take to kill the infection, they don't tell me what to take to feel better. I need a sustainable protocol that would work to replenish lost nutrients from antibiotics and die-off of infections. This would make me feel better but I just wish I knew what exactly to take for these specific infections and what is a worthless supplement. 

By intestinal binders I mean activated charcoal, spirulina, chlorella, microsilica, zeolite, etc. Any of these substances can be used for literally binding to any heavy metals and transporting them out of the intestines. 

As for the infection I believe you are indeed right on it. I've tried painting Betadine iodine on my feet before due to the fungal infection I've had on my toe 2 years now. The next day I felt a great relief from the inflammation and even woke up in a much better mood than I ever had before in recent times. So whatever infection I have is very likely existing in my blood as well as my gut since certain food for me, when consumed, exacerbate the inflammation to great levels. 

My take on this is to start using cinnamon oil diluted along with pure grounded cinnamon to eradicate whatever is in my blood and gut. However since I've also had mercury amalgams I got to be careful on removing heavy metals first. 

I'm on the same boat as you for the finding a way to reverse all of this damage from the heavy metals/infections once I get rid of them. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 odspot

• Validating/Suspended
  • 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:51 PM

I really just need to eat the right foods to replenish my body but even then I never feel replenished. And I know you said to lessen fat intake but I've heard goods things about Ketogenic diet for Lyme. Apparently, Lyme feeds off of sugars, so it might be good to lessen carbs.

I switched to Keto shortly after my symptoms began. The CFS/Lyme doctor I saw this week said Keto is pretty bad for bacterial issues because it creates an acidic gut environment; I've also read Candida can feed off ketones. I'm scared to stop because it's the only thing keeping my hypoglycemia in check. 

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antibiotic, lyme, bartonella, babesia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users