• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

do you mind sharing what you think makes someone look old?

skin wrinkles

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:45 PM

A friend of mine is in his 20s but his forehead has very deep lines and this person developed folds below his nose.  But he doesn't look old.  Therefore, lines do not separately make you look old.  The other day I saw a man who had a full head of hair but still appeared middle age.  In conclusion, your hair does not make you look young.  Put in this thread what makes someone look old in your opinion.

Edited by ironfistx, 26 August 2016 - 11:45 PM.

#2 Shinsou

• 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

Mainly skin damage, it's like you subconsciously notice someone’s skin condition immediately.

Photo damage, dried out non elastic skin, you just can't hide that.

Then there are psychological factors, when I see somebody with extreme receding hairline in their twenties I can't think of them looking young,

unless they have a baby face.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

As we age things inevitably head south. Fat pads deplete, bone shrink, less collagen/moisture/elastin is produced. I personally think it's the structure of the face first, then hyperpigmentation/ wrinkles etc after which make a face appear older. If skin is sagging at the jawline and the person has hollow eyes, then to me that makes them look older, than the fine lines or the texture of their skin.

• Agree x 1

#4 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

For me, these in certain combinations contribute to the perception of age--

Gray hair

Partial baldness

Dry, frizzy hair

Bushy or no eyebrows

Excess ear or nose hair

Eye bags

Large nose, ears

Jowls

Turkey neck

Facial wrinkles

Stained, crooked teeth

Sunken mouth

Paralysis or partial paralysis

Drooping eyelids

Dull eyes

Inflamed or yellowed sclera

Age spots

Stooped posture

Pot belly

Arthritic hands

Ropy veins

Slow or limping gait

Raspy voice, wheezing

Poor muscle tone

Sagging skin

Broken nails

Toe fungus

And of course there are different types of old. There is good old and bad old, depending on how these are combined.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 27 August 2016 - 07:12 PM.

• Agree x 1

#5 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

For me, these in certain combinations contribute to the perception of age--

Ropy veins

http://www.longecity...-old-man-veins/

#6 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:13 AM

@ironfistx , the answer you are looking for is in the medical gerontology books. Find one and start reading about the aging changes of the face.

If you ask me, for one face to be old, it is needed to have developed at least 50% of the aging changes.

Be happy!

#7 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

Great response, Turnbuckle! Aging is such an onslaught of different things. It would be good if we all went through your list with  'bullet-point' solutions to all these problems currently available to us. 

• Cheerful x 1

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:06 PM

Being a fat fuck. 

Anybody who says fat faces iron out wrinkles is full of fat shit. 

A fat face makes you look just as old as anybody else not taking care of their shit. Just fat old. 

:)

• Agree x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1

#9 jeanlzt11

• 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:53 AM

What makes your face look older:

Subcutaneous fat loss is the biggest one

Thinner skin from collagen loss

Loss of facial muscle tone

Bags under eyes

Uneven blotchy skin tone

Worn down, darker teeth

Loss of fullness in lips

Deep nasolabial folds

• Informative x 1

#10 Clacksberg

• 138 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

A generally large head where the chin is as big as the top. agree fat doesnt help because the fat usually ends up in the wrong

place with the definition of cottage cheese in a bag..

• Agree x 1

#11 jeanlzt11

• 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:34 AM

A scientific article with informative charts on what features make people look older and their prevalence in different age populations.

http://www.sciencedi...090536X14000501

• Informative x 1

#12 Clacksberg

• 138 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

Facial Shape:

Youth - Triangle section with apex at bottom.

Middle Age - elongated rectangle.

Old age - figure of 8.

:|o

#13 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:34 PM

Nope, face shape is genetic and has nothing to do with age.

Most changes are due to malar fat pads tendons getting slack leading to shift downwards which causes hollow eyes, nasolabial folds, skinny upper cheeks, wrinkles, etc...

Loss of facial muscle tone with age is minor, if with tone we mean hypertrophy, and aged look is quite independent from it, some facial muscles if trained might get tense and help to keep features in place to a certain extent but that tenseness need to be trained very often or will disappear independently from hypertrophy.

In some individual facial fat loss is determinant while in others is more the shifting in the wrong places but to simplify, yes, facial fat is probably the main actor.

#14 LarryFeltonJo

• 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:04 AM

At 65 I can look in a mirror and take inventory.  Gray hair.  Sagging where my jaw meets my neck.  Crows feet on the outside edges of my eyes.  The skin around my throat looks dry and scaly.  My hair is thinner on top than it once was.  At my age most of the changes are on my face and neck.  My body is still intact.  As muscle wasting sets in I imagine my arms and legs will get flabbier looking (although I hit the gym to postpone that for as long as I can).

#15 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

There are so many things that we recognise subconsciously which determines how old we think someone is. Some people can have lines all over their face and look quite young still. Some have uneven skin tone, spots, yet look young. I think the dimensions of the face change Fat distribution changes. The other things add up like nasoblial folds, thinner, eye bags, rough skin etc... 

We are really tuned to pick up on subtle things that give us an idea of a persons age. If even you blur out images, make them grainy etc.. you can still give a approximation of their age, so even when you can't see some of the details, you have an idea. I think much of it is based on how the face changes its shape from muscle loss, fat loss, bone loss, or just changes in the length or width of certain features.

Edited by Matt, 16 September 2016 - 11:46 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#16 jeanlzt11

• 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

You're right Matt, we pick up on very subtle cues. If you look at the poor kids with Progeria their face has a sunken, hollow look with beaked noses, yet their is something still young there and I can't identify it.  I've wondered if it's  because I know their young.  The opposite of Progeria, a disease that is so baffling they call in Syndrome X, you can see a 16 year old still in a baby carrier and she looks like a one year old or the 40 year old man in Australia who looks about 16.  He still has the young skin and underlying fascia support in his face.

#17 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:48 PM

I think Jeanlzt and aconita are spot on here. It's largely the subcutaneous fat loss, but also some bone loss. From what I'm gathering, there are upcoming bone, fat and collagen regrowth stem cell technologies on the horizon that may change all this. Well, that and CRISPR. I don't know when we'll have access to it though, that is slow going and I largely blame the FDA for that, but also the licensing rackets, regulations and the corrupt, monopolistic and largely inaccessible tort system doesn't help at all either.

Edited by Nate-2004, 29 September 2016 - 09:51 PM.

#18 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:21 AM

I think Jeanlzt and aconita are spot on here. It's largely the subcutaneous fat loss, but also some bone loss. From what I'm gathering, there are upcoming bone, fat and collagen regrowth stem cell technologies on the horizon that may change all this. Well, that and CRISPR. I don't know when we'll have access to it though, that is slow going and I largely blame the FDA for that, but also the licensing rackets, regulations and the corrupt, monopolistic and largely inaccessible tort system doesn't help at all either.

Yes but FDA can't stop it (CRISPR-Cas-9, or better, on international stages) and when the gene-alter door swings open there will be no turning back. FDA is in place (theoretically) to help provide safety from the circus.

#19 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:53 PM

In the case where aging is caused by bone loss, could we apply wolff's law to keep this from happening? That states that a bone becomes denser under stress, demonstrating why for example gymnasts have more dense heels than those that are not gymnasts. Possibly you could smack yourself in the face softly every afternoon.

#20 Clacksberg

• 138 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:09 PM

I've started smacking everything..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skin, wrinkles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users