- - - - -

Supplementing THC and CBD for wellbeing

ganja

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:15 PM

Reading different sources online tells you that CBD and THC have various beneficial outcomes.  Let's talk about theconcept of using them to improve functioning.  I am not talking about getting high, I am talking about taking them in consistent doses for any positie effects they may have.

fPEKFU8.gif

Origin https://weedmaps.com...rijuana-testing

Edited by maxwatt, 28 September 2016 - 04:51 AM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

They both have positive effects, and it would depend on what issue one wanted to improve/resolve which would determine which cannabinoid and what dose is appropriate.

I purchase hemp (aka Cannabis Sativa) buds legally online from Lithuania which come with a certificate of analysis indicating a maximum of 0.02% THC content. I smoke these hemp buds occasionally for their relaxing effect.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:15 PM

All cannabis is Sativa, which just means "cultivated" and once erroneously considered a different species from Indica which in the Himalayan mountains was originally mainly wild.

There is no botanical difference whatsoever between hemp, cannabis, weed, pot or however one wants to call it, difference is only in psychoactive content (as far as this tread concerns), to smoke is not the smartest way of taking it for health purposes and if one really have to take it that way at least the use of a vaporizer is recommended.

Smoking very low THC cannabis for the relaxing effect is a nonsense, taking just a tiny puff of high potency will cause much less harm and far more enjoinment, the legal status is another matter but an even greater nonsense.

If you want or need to take cannabis be prepared to get high and strive to get the best quality you can possibly find, eventually regulate the high playing with dosage, not with quality.

If you don't want to get high find something else since cannabis is not for you.

Lets be serious. 

#4 Oakman

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:13 PM

All cannabis isSativa, which just means "cultivated" and once erroneously considered a different species from Indica which in the Himalayan mountains was originally mainly wild.

There is no botanical difference whatsoever between hemp, cannabis, weed, pot or however one wants to call it, difference is only in psychoactive content (as far as this tread concerns), to smoke is not the smartest way of taking it for health purposes and if one really have to take it that way at least the use of a vaporizer is recommended.

Smoking very low THC cannabis for the relaxing effect is a nonsense, taking just a tiny puff of high potency will cause much less harm and far more enjoinment, the legal status is another matter but an even greater nonsense.

If you want or need to take cannabis be prepared to get high and strive to get the best quality you can possibly find, eventually regulate the high playing with dosage, not with quality.

If you don't want to get high find something else since cannabis is not for you.

Lets be serious. 

Interesting aconita, I never realized the taxonomy on Cannabis was not 100% settled. Learned some history here https://www.reddit.c...nabis_sativa_l/

This, "Cannabis has a remarkable degree of phenotypic plasticity, meaning that it can adapt quickly and effectively to environmental pressures." shows that Cannabis is a constantly learning, adapting plant, making it hard to ID apparently.

• Good Point x 1

#5 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:44 PM

Indeed, cannabis comes in many different shapes, dimension, color, time of flowering, lifespan, taste, smell and potency, of course.

The relative to each others psychoactives vary too from different breeds, as every cannabis smoker can tell you not all cannabis gives the same kind of high, I am not talking about potency but about how it makes you feel, that's determined by various substances of which THC is the main actor but not the only contributor.

It is a bit like with alcohol, different wines gives different highs and whisky is different from wine or vodka, etc...

With cannabis the difference is much more evident, therefore it might be possible that certain strains will suit you better for whatever reason than others but as with wine you unlikely would drink cheap very low alcohol/quality in large amounts but rather maybe only one glass of good quality to get the same level of "high" (same level, not same quality) it is unlikely a smart choice to take low grade cannabis.     

#6 Oakman

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:20 PM

Truth :blink:  It's complicated!

Indeed, cannabis comes in many different shapes, dimension, color, time of flowering, lifespan, taste, smell and potency, of course.

The relative to each others psychoactives vary too from different breeds, as every cannabis smoker can tell you not all cannabis gives the same kind of high, I am not talking about potency but about how it makes you feel, that's determined by various substances of which THC is the main actor but not the only contributor.

It is a bit like with alcohol, different wines gives different highs and whisky is different from wine or vodka, etc...

With cannabis the difference is much more evident, therefore it might be possible that certain strains will suit you better for whatever reason than others but as with wine you unlikely would drink cheap very low alcohol/quality in large amounts but rather maybe only one glass of good quality to get the same level of "high" (same level, not same quality) it is unlikely a smart choice to take low grade cannabis.     

#7 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:35 PM

In my city you can buy marijuana at the store.  You can get extracts and cookies and stuff.  A few of these have only CBD and no THC so you don't get stoned.  I want this thread to get back on topic and talk about the health effects of the previously stated substances.

#8 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

In my city you can buy marijuana at the store.  You can get extracts and cookies and stuff.  A few of these have only CBD and no THC so you don't get stoned.  I want this thread to get back on topic and talk about the health effects of the previously stated substances.

When did Illinois or Chicago legalize pot? 

#9 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:45 PM

Would a mod add this chart to the first post?

fPEKFU8.gif

Origin https://weedmaps.com...rijuana-testing

#10 Oakman

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:19 PM

Some mind-bending reading for anyone interested... specifically contrasting the National Cancer Institute (a US .gov website) thoughts on cannabis for cancer treatment ...

(excerpt) ​"Cannabis and ncanabinoids have been studied in the laboratory and the clinic for pain relief of, nausea and vomiting, anxiety, and loss of appetite.​ Cannabis and cannabinoids may have benefits in treating the symptoms of cancer or the side effects of cancer therapies. There is growing interest in treating children for symptoms such as nausea with Cannabis and cannabinoids, although studies are limited. 

Two cannabinoids (dronabinol and nabilone) are drugs approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the prevention or treatment of chemotherapy -related nausea and vomiting. Cannabis has been shown to kill cancer cells in the laboratory."

Patient versionhttps://www.cancer.g...nt/cannabis-pdq

Health Care Professional Version > https://www.cancer.g...hp/cannabis-pdq

And... then the DEA... The DEA ruled in August to keep cannabis schedule 1 drug, meaning no medical value, according to applicable rules and laws  > https://www.dea.gov/.../hq081116.shtml

Although this short DEA notice and their stance might appear counter-intuitive to some, you can't really appreciate how messed up our laws are until you notice (at the bottom) how they are (still) against Industrial Hemp in the US (basically rope fiber)...

(excerpt) "... The 2014 Act did not remove industrial hemp from the list of controlled substances and, with certain limited exceptions, the requirements of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and the CSA continue to apply to industrial hemp-related activities."

Nevertheless, the good stuff (the science part about cannabis) is in the detailed denial letters sent to the petitioners that's easy to miss the links to in the DEA letter. They are below and you have to skip past the first part where they say "No!" and "because of International treaties" until you get the detail about the "Scientific Evidence of Its Pharmacological Effects". A good read about the chemistry and research follows. Everyone may not agree, but, if nothing else, the government does go into exacting scientific detail on why it said no, backed up by the information they chose to look at and review.  Along the way, they talk a lot about cannabis used on humans and animals. I though it was an interesting read and maybe it'll help get some conversation going here. 

https://www.federalr...ralregister.gov

https://www.federalr...ralregister.gov 

#11 BluesClues

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:36 AM

I've tried CBD and I was productive for a week when I took it each and everyday. I take it in the morning because it's quite stimulating and there is a mild productive buzz in the back of your head, ironically, the best part about CBD is it has this natural feeling, like it's part of your diet than a synthetic drug. If you look into the pharmacodynamics of cannabinoid, you'll find there is an increase of serotonin and dopamine.

Edited by BluesClues, 23 September 2016 - 03:38 AM.

#12 stan08

• 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question but would just a hemp oil be effective (http://www.iherb.com...-oz-710-ml/7304) or is it too low in CBD and THC?

#13 Oakman

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:28 PM

Hemp oil is great stuff, really no CBD or THC in it, trace amounts only, if at all.

http://www.seedguides.info/hemp-oil/

#14 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:01 AM

Don't people ever learn? There are thousands of thousands of posts on various forums about people experiencing chronic brain fog, psychosis, etc., from consuming cannabis even in small amounts. What good has it ever done for anybody? If every person has to burn his hands on the hot stove to learn his lesson then everyone will have a disfigured hand. It's silly.

• Ill informed x 4

#15 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:08 AM

Some mind-bending reading for anyone interested... specifically contrasting the National Cancer Institute (a US .gov website) thoughts on cannabis for cancer treatment ...

(excerpt) ​"Cannabis and ncanabinoids have been studied in the laboratory and the clinic for pain relief of, nausea and vomiting, anxiety, and loss of appetite.​ Cannabis and cannabinoids may have benefits in treating the symptoms of cancer or the side effects of cancer therapies. There is growing interest in treating children for symptoms such as nausea with Cannabis and cannabinoids, although studies are limited. 

Literally every single "bonus" you get from cannabis use you can also get from using other drugs but without the side-effects of cannabis. It's a clear cut example of trying to justify drug abuse.

There are literally websites that focuses on what cannabis can "cure" as if it's a miracle drug, which it isn't.

Tell me, if you can choose between X and Y for your cancer, and X causes a myriad of chronic issues but Y doesn't, and Y is even better at treating cancer than X, why on G-d's green earth would you choose X?

Cannabis' anti-cancer properties aren't even impressive, there are plenty of dead youtubers who had cancer and tried the cannabis without any success, whereas selenium and vitamin C and so on, are very effective essential nutrients against multiple cancer types. 

I dare you to mention one single medical issue that cannabis can treat in any significant manner which no drug with fewer side-effects can treat even better.

• unsure x 1
  • dislike x 1

#16 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Pain.
Obviously not as effective as opiates but with fewer sides and lower risk of addiction (and reduction of efficacy).

#17 Oakman

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

Literally every single "bonus" you get from cannabis use you can also get from using other drugs but without the side-effects of cannabis. It's a clear cut example of trying to justify drug abuse.

There are literally websites that focuses on what cannabis can "cure" as if it's a miracle drug, which it isn't.

Tell me, if you can choose between X and Y for your cancer, and X causes a myriad of chronic issues but Y doesn't, and Y is even better at treating cancer than X, why on G-d's green earth would you choose X?

Cannabis' anti-cancer properties aren't even impressive, there are plenty of dead youtubers who had cancer and tried the cannabis without any success, whereas selenium and vitamin C and so on, are very effective essential nutrients against multiple cancer types. 

I dare you to mention one single medical issue that cannabis can treat in any significant manner which no drug with fewer side-effects can treat even better.

Ratherbeunknown, the originator of this thread asked we discuss relevant health related issues concerning cannabis. I merely referred to the available literature published on the subject by National Cancer Institute and contrasted that with the DEA recent ruling about its classification. I think that bears further discussion.

However, I will say that any substance that potentially can impart some effect against this terrible and devastating disease is a positive for the human race.

It is my understanding that the anti-cancer effects of cannabis are CBD and related non-psychoactive compounds. If you know of references regarding cannabis side effects related to treating cancer with these components, please cite references for us all to study.

When one is facing a cancer diagnosis, I doubt that "drug abuse" as you call it, is foremost in their mind. Further, the destructive and poisonous effects of conventional cancer treatments are well documented, and experienced by those undergoing treatment. Side-effects of cannabis treatments likely would pale in comparison, although I have no firsthand experience, as I do not, and have not, used any of these substances for that purpose.

Last, your defensive and confrontational attitude is curious. An intelligent discussion of this thread's topic should stick to facts and references. Further, if "vitamin C and selenium and so on", cured cancer, as you state, we certainly would not even be having this discussion.

• Agree x 3
  • dislike x 1

#18 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

I was talking about using CBD on a normal basis for health reasons, assuming there were any.  Considering inflammation is the cause of many issues, wouldn't an antiinflammatory component keep these away?

#19 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:48 PM

There are thousands of thousands of posts on various forums about people experiencing chronic brain fog, psychosis, etc., from consuming cannabis even in small amounts. What good has it ever done for anybody?

Are you joking or what?

So, thousands of thousands of individual are so dumb to use a substance that makes them experiencing chronic brain fog, psychosis, etc.,

And for what reason they would do so, if I may ask?

Obviously if cannabis has been used for thousands of years by humans it is because they do enjoy it and I am not aware of anybody enjoying experiencing chronic brain fog, psychosis, etc.,

If it makes feel good is a good reason enough to use it and it is obvious that cannabis DOES make feel good most people and all users for sure.

As everything there are exceptions and for someone is not the right cup of tea, so what?

By the way epilepsy, now you tell me what else is remotely comparable to cannabis in solving it.

Chemotherapy nausea is another one, already more than 25 years ago in Australia was suggested by doctors as the best and only solution. 

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#20 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:50 AM

Cannabis occurs in the Chinese equivalent of the Materia Medica and has been use for over two thousand years to treat a number of conditions.

The flowers and leaves of the cannabis plant were and are used to treat wounds and menstrual pains.  Marijuana stalks, for diuretic effects. Recommended to treat hemorrhoids, colitis, and chronic diarrhea.and to treat pain. It is one of the 50 essential herbs of traditional Chinese medicine.  In combination with other herbs, cannabis will produce synergistic effects.  But it is not smoked.

Fifty years ago it was the only treatment for glaucoma, and some patients and doctors think it is more effective than medicines developed for treatment. 

It improves appetite, and has been used to treat loss of appetitie in cancer patients.  Marinol, a drug to stimulate appetite,  is synthetic THC, the first marijuana-like drug to be approved by the FDA. Many users claimed it didn't work as well as the herb, which led to further research and attention to CBD.   Marijuana users, even those who smoked as little as three times a month, have been found to have a significantly lower rate of diabetes, and to be thinner, than the general population of non-smokers despite it being an appetite stimulant.

There are side effects, at times.  Four people I know of have experienced vasovagal syncope, essentially fainting from a sudden drop in blood pressure limiting blood supply to the brain.  Not usually life threatening or even worthy of hospitalization unless blood pressure does not return to normal within half an hour or so.  One case was a somewhat elderly fellow who took deep tokes of his nephew's high potency weed, inhaling it deeply like the weak marijuana of his youth,  Several minutes later he was semi-conscious, his face and hands were pale and cold which alarmed his wife and the other dinner guests.  Especially since he stopped talking, a defining trait of his personality.  When he did resume talking he reportedly said "sorry to disappoint you, but I'm still alive.  It was just a shameless ploy to attract attention."  At which point the attending EMTs pronounced him recovered and they left.  Another instance was a young lady who wished to cure her nicotine addiction by smoking a joint every time she wanted a cigarette.  I was not present but was told she smoked five joints in fifty minutes before passing out.  Another woman was taken to a hospital when her blood pressure did not return to normal quickly enough, but was released without treatment after observation. 

• like x 1

#21 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

Are you joking or what?

Stoners never really care about what they consume, it's just the high and the social contact they care about. Just blaze it maaaan! And if it gives you mental issues, just blaze it some more!

Do you know how many people end up in psychiatric wards for having smoked the perfectly safe Cannabis? Seriously, look at the statistics. 

Of course, it's none of my business what any of you do. But for OP, there are no "health benefits" of Cannabis that other drugs don't have. I've said it and I'll say it again, if it really is health you care about then don't consume cannabis whatsoever, it's silly behavior and you'll end up hurting yourself more.

• Disagree x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • dislike x 1

#22 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

Stoners never really care about what they consume

Now is really clear you don't know what you are talking about.

Do you know how many people end up in psychiatric wards for having smoked the perfectly safe Cannabis?

Certainly many less than the ones ending up in psychiatric wards without having smoked any cannabis at all.

But you are not able to provide a valid alternative for treating chemotherapy nausea and epilepsy yet, since you did call the challenge I am waiting.

• Good Point x 2
  • dislike x 1

#23 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:05 PM

Listen, does Rick Simpson oil benefit people the amount that webpages say it does?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#24 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:15 AM

Listen, does Rick Simpson oil benefit people the amount that webpages say it does?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ganja

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users