• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Can repitition and routine cause your brain to stagnate?

neurogenesis neuroplasticity brain development

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wingless

• 107 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

While I think routine and discipline are important, I  also think falling into patterns of behavior that lack variety, complexity, or difficulty can cause your brain to sort of stagnate. Constant novelty, challenge, exposure to new ideas, learning new things, being physically active, these sort of things all seem to be necessary to cause neurogenesis and neuroplasticity, which we know are the key mechanisms for brain development.

So my question is, at what point does too much change and stress become detrimental? What is the best way to build up new hobbies and patterns of behavior without getting overwhelmed? I ask because I find it difficult to abandon some of my old habits, and I find it equally hard to start new ones (such as reading books). It seems like my body is excellent at maintaining some sort of homeostasis, and as a result changing my behaviors and habits is difficult.

Oh and side note:

How do drugs that promote neurogenesis/neurplasticity (NSI 189, Piracetam, Noopept, Tianeptine, etc) do this if you spend your entire day doing the same shit you've always done? I don't quite understand the mechanism here. Are they best used in times of change and stress?

Edited by Wingless, 11 September 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

These some good questions you asked, but the title is misleading and not many clicked based on that.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:54 AM

Neuroplasticity is more like a learning or relearning of something, so I doubt supplements promoting neuroplasticity would have any negative effect except maybe keep your interest in something a little longer than usual if you are getting dopamine from learning something more interesting about your topic at hand. Perhaps that may create difficulty task switching away from things like research and listening to podcasts or watching TED talks.

As far as how much is too much... you ever go on a vacation or a retreat? You are immersed in a completely different personal culture and even have to sleep in a new bed. You ever hear of someone getting a new job or a girlfriend or moving to a new place? They don't die afterwards. They may get sick a few more times if it affects sleep and eating, but generally speaking, those are the most productive and creative times in their lives, at least for me.

Change isn't the killer. Unhealthy habits are the killer. Being sedentary kills. Eating unhealthy kills. Sleeping less than 6.5hrs/night kills. Smoking cigarettes kills. Drinking heavily kills. I mean you would want to change any of those. Luckily there are a range of supplements to help each category and plenty of programs out there, too.

Edited by devinthayer, 27 September 2016 - 11:59 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neurogenesis, neuroplasticity, brain development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users