• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Magnesium Threonate Bicarbonate what did I just make?

magnesium threonate bicarbonate magnesium bicarbonate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:32 PM

I added 3 source naturals magtein (2 g mangesium threonate, 144mg elemental mg) to 1.25 L crystal geyser carbonated water.
I was reading about magnesium bicarb here https://groups.googl...arb/_uq0_cS24SM and got curious.
It all reacted and dissolved but what is it now? Is this magnesium threonate bicarbonate? Most of the fizz is gone, there is no visible sediment.

Just curious is any chemists out there can work out what the reaction here is.

#2 tyrosine25I

• 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:46 AM

I am not for sure on this, but the only thing I can guess is that the magnesium threonate did not react and you formed magnesium bicarbonate at the end via the reaction of magnesium and the CO2 from the carbonated water. Because carbonated water, H2CO3, is in constant equilbrium with CO2 and H2O (as well as H2O in constant equilibrium with H+ and OH-) there is constantly CO2 and H2O in the system, until it eventually escapes. The residue disappearing probably means that what is remaining is magnesium threonate, magnesium bicarbonate and water.

Mg + CO2 --> MgCO3, magnesium carbonate
MgCO3 + H2CO3 --> Mg(HCO3)2, magnesium bicarbonate
Mg (aq) + 2 OH- (aq) --> Mg(OH)2 (s) also occurs, but
Mg(OH)2 + 2CO2 --> Mg(HCO3)2
(MgCO3 + H2O --> Mg(OH)2 + H2CO3 does not occur, unless heat is applied)

Magnesium bicarbonate exists only in aqueous solution, so there has to be some water still remaining. Drying the result would form MgCO3 via

Mg + HCO3- --> MgCO3 + CO2 + H2O,
And of course the magnesium threonate would still remain.

I don't know if this is all completely correct, but I don't think the magnesium threonate would separate into magnesium and threonic acid, as the acid dissociation constant for threonic acid is 3.4 while for carbonic acid it is 3.6, which is negligible of a difference for an acid-base reaction to occur. I also don't think the result would be magnesium threonate (bi)carbonate, but rather, a combination of MgT and Mg(HCO3)2. Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but this is my best guess.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:33 PM

What about "Magnesium water" i wonder if anyone here knows how well it's absorbed by our bodies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium, threonate, bicarbonate, magnesium bicarbonate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users