• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Can "floxing" damage from fluoroquinolone antibiotics really be permanent?

quinolone floxing health tendon damage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

Hi folks,

The post below is long, relating to quinolone toxicity. I've recently been having some rather alarming health issues seven years after a quinolone reaction. I'm quite scared by it and was wondering if anyone could help?

About seven years ago, I took a course of ofloxacin after which I was symptom free (so far as I can remember) and a course of Ciprofloxacin, which left me with the symptoms of floxing. I detailed the reaction in the following thread:

http://www.longecity...damage-control/

Basically after a few months of careful supplementation and physio things settled down. I felt like I had dodged a bullet, back to a normal life.

Summary of the seven years since

So I went back to normal. Admittedly I fell back into some bad lifestyle habits too. My diet hasn't always been the best for the past seven years since this happened, but in that time:

I met a wonderful woman who I married three years ago.

I began hiking, set up a hiking blog with a group of friends.

I was able to drink alcohol (which I admittedly did on a few occasions to excess, such as Christmas parties etc)

I've been on hundreds of miles of hikes in the seven year period since my reaction.

I've twice hiked the "Mourne Wall Challenge" - a 22 mile hiking route with 3000m of elevation, each time in a single time since being floxed

In 2013 I lifted weights pretty much for an entire year and followed a good, healthy diet, made great strength gains.

In 2014/2015 while I have been active as much as possible with my hiking, admittedly my dietary discipline has been intermittent to say the least.

In late 2015 I had an open appendectomy, I recovered quickly and was back to work a week later.

Four months ago I hiked the Mourne Wall challenge for the second time, in a single day. It was tough going, but I didn't find it any harder than the rest of my friends.

I've had achey joints at times during this seven year period, but it has always settled.

Possible Relapse?

Around a month ago I noticed pain in my right ankle capsule, I thought I had damaged it running after a friend's tent on a windy night over open ground.

Since then however I have noticed pain, stiffness and weakness in pretty much all of my joints, especially the knees.

My left knee has started making this light clicking sound when I bend down (like a squat). Not the usual loud popping, but an odd click.

I've noticed occasional muscle fasciculations.

I've visited a few quinolone toxicity forums since and they tell me that FQ damage is to the DNA and is permanent. That I put myself into a hole 7 years ago that I never really got out of. That I should have been following the recovery diet they recommend (or at the very least a healthier diet) this whole time.

So my main question is - Does anyone here understand fluoroquinolone toxicity enough to tell me:

Is damage from fluoroquinolones really permanent on some level?

Is it possible that now I will worsen more than I did originally seven years ago?

I've been able to make strength gains in the past with weights and exercise, is relapse really possible this far out, seven years later?

I'm very scared by how I've felt recently, and I'm worried I'll wind up like the other people on these floxing forums, unable to work or exercise, unable to eat an ordinary diet, disabled.

Edited by Centurion, 17 September 2016 - 11:47 AM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

Centurion, by far the most common quinolone injury is manifest in tendons.  It's more likely to occur if you have simultaneous corticosteroid use, and age is a risk factor.  There are other, less common manifestations of injury as well.  Some of these are quite devastating, but the worst of them are quite rare.  I think that you're getting a worst-case-scenario viewpoint from the floxing forums.  If there is an effect of quinolones on DNA, I've not seen the evidence.  It's possible for a flox injury to a tendon to heal with some scar tissue that leaves it in a permanently dysfunctional state.   I don't think that a "relapse" after 7 years of active health is likely.  I would treat it as a new development, and maybe see a rheumatologist.  Have you had any tick bites (or exposure to Lyme-endemic areas) recently, or any case of food poisoning or intestinal distress?  (The latter could be a precursor to a condition known as Reactive Arthritis.) 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Cubbieblue

• 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:58 AM

I talked with you several years ago regarding quins.

First question - are you sure no quinolones were used during the surgery?

Secondly, yes, the damage is permanent but also reversible to some degree depending on the severity and time passed.

The symptoms you are having could be caused by anything. If there is no new interaction with the quins, then I would bet it is something else going on; probably just over-use and stress from worrying about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:20 PM

Maybe it is worth to check this one out:

http://www.medicatio...icity070508.php

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quinolone, floxing, health, tendon damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users