Beta Glucans increases gut permeability

beta glucans permeability gut

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ctmitchell

• 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:57 PM

Hello,

I have been supplementing with yeast derived Beta Glucans 1,3 1,6, with good results for stress and immunity.  I came across this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22393029

Abstract

"Weaning in young animals is associated with an increased incidence of gastrointestinal infections. β-glucans exert numerous physiological effects, including altering immune function. The objective of this study was to determine the effects of feeding barley (Hordeum vulgare L.)-derived β-glucans on immune and intestinal function in weanling pigs (Sus scrofa). Thirty-one individually-housed Dutch Landrace pigs (21 d; initial BW, 6,298 ± 755 g) were weaned and fed a wheat-based diet (control) or a low (Lo-BG), medium (Med-BG), or high β-glucan-containing barley-based diet (Hi-BG) for 2 wk with 7 or 8 pigs/treatment. Intestinal segments were analyzed for permeability using Ussing chambers and K88 Escherichia coli adhesion to enterocytes was assessed ex vivo. Immune cells from mesenteric lymph nodes, peripheral blood, and Peyer's patches were analyzed for lymphocyte subsets by indirect immunofluorescence and the ability to respond ex vivo to mitogens by (3)H-thymidine incorporation. Hematology and neutrophil function were determined by flow cytometry. Neutrophil burst, size, and granularity, lymphocyte proliferation, and B-cell distribution in peripheral blood lymphocytes, Peyer's patches, and mesenteric lymph nodes were not affected by β-glucans content of the diet. The β-glucans content of the diet altered blood concentrations of erythrocytes and leukocytes, CD4, CD45RA, and CD8 blood cells (P < 0.05). In addition, feeding β-glucan resulted in increased (P < 0.05) percentage CD45RA positive cells in peripheral blood lymphocytes, Peyer's patches, and mesenteric lymph nodes. Mannitol permeability and tissue conductance were increased (P < 0.05) in Hi-BG fed pigs compared with control pigs. Percentage maximum K88-E.coli binding was increased in proportion to the β-glucan content of the diet (P < 0.05). Although β-glucan feeding during the weaning period increased blood lymphocytes and the proportion of naïve T-cells, it also increased E. coli-enterocyte binding and intestinal permeability. β-glucan may alter immune and intestinal function of weaning pigs."

I was hoping to have some thoughts on this, as I certainly do not wish to increase my intestinal permeability.  Could this be an isolated issue with Beta Glucan derived from Barley?

#2 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

"Weaning in young animals is associated with an increased incidence of gastrointestinal infections" "β-glucan may alter immune and intestinal function of weaning pigs"

I think those two bits are key. These aren't adult animals and their guts aren't working the same as an adult animals, as evidenced by the first sentence. I don't think you can extrapolate this to adults. To be fair though, I don't know much of anything about Beta Glucans or gut permeability.

What product are you using, and what results have you noticed on stress?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ctmitchell

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:57 AM

"Weaning in young animals is associated with an increased incidence of gastrointestinal infections" "β-glucan may alter immune and intestinal function of weaning pigs"

I think those two bits are key. These aren't adult animals and their guts aren't working the same as an adult animals, as evidenced by the first sentence. I don't think you can extrapolate this to adults. To be fair though, I don't know much of anything about Beta Glucans or gut permeability.

What product are you using, and what results have you noticed on stress?

That is a good point.  I am using bulksupplements beta glucans 1,3/1,6.   I have noticed less feelings of adrenaline and tension when under stressful situations.  Overall, more relaxed.  This is very welcomed, as I have been dealing with stress related illness for the past couple of years.  While its not a dramatic change, its definitely noticeable.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beta glucans, permeability, gut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users