Photo

What DNA test should I take?

dna 23andme promethease familytreedna ancestry autosomal snps

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jeffrg

• 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

It's my birthday and my Dad offered to get myself and him a DNA test for health and genealogy, but a focus on health.  I was looking at 23andMe, but I also saw Promethease has were you can submit DNA.  There are various other well known sites that offer autosomal DNA, such as FamilyTreeDNA and Ancestry.

Base 23andMe is $99, or $199 for their entire work up reports.  I could then also submit this to Promethease for $5.

FamilyTreeDNA ($79) and Ancestry ($99) I could also submit to Promethease, but it's difficult to determine who is giving me the best information.

I was looking at this, but I don't know anything about DNA so it's sort of nonsense to me: http://isogg.org/wik...omparison_chart

So, is the $199 from 23andMe good / better than the Promethease report?  Would FamilyTreeDNA or Ancestry give more to work with when submitting to Promethease.  I know FamilyTreeDNA is pretty popular in genealogy.  Do you have any Suggestions?

Edited by jeffrg, 27 September 2016 - 08:47 PM.

#2 Dominic F.

• 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

I recommend 23andme because most interpretation websites use 23andme data.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:37 AM

-

Edited by Turnbuckle, 28 September 2016 - 11:37 AM.

#4 gn1tmac

• 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

I just ordered mygenome from veritas genetics for $999. its a WGS. waiting for them to send my spit tube, already talked to my PCP about it. I will likely upload raw data file to the Harvard personal genome project. I have history of autoimmune disease in family.

#5 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:24 PM

Been curious about this as well. Some guy I spoke with said he's cautious of DNA testing as it might reveal stuff he's not ready to know about himself. I'm still contemplating which ones to get. 23andme seem like the best bet. mygenome is expensive, right now. How do all these work? This should be mandatory with each yearly visit to my PCP. Do I spit in a bottle or take a piss test?

Edited by eon, 14 March 2017 - 11:39 PM.

#6 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:45 PM

that's a hefty price. would you only recommend it if one has familial autoimmune disease history? I should be good with 23andme, right?

I just ordered mygenome from veritas genetics for $999. its a WGS. waiting for them to send my spit tube, already talked to my PCP about it. I will likely upload raw data file to the Harvard personal genome project. I have history of autoimmune disease in family.

#7 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:15 PM

I just bought 23andme. Would testing me also reveal things about my immediate family (mom, dad, brother) or must they need to buy their own testing kit? I would assume we're all going to have very similar results, if I'm not mistaken.

#8 jeffrg

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

Your closest match will be your sibling and they probably expect similar results.  Your parents will want to do their own as you may not be able to tell from which side you inherited certain results from.

I was a bit disappointed in the 23andMe health report.  They seem to have their hands tied by the FDA.  Hope that loosens up under the new administration.  I was also doing it for genealogy, so it worked out, but I definitely recommend taking your raw 23andMe DNA results to Promethease for a more detailed health analysis.

#9 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:55 PM

I'm just doing this for fun and to get "surprised"! I hope 23andme's online questionnaire have no influence on the results of my saliva! 

#10 gn1tmac

• 30 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

that's a hefty price. would you only recommend it if one has familial autoimmune disease history? I should be good with 23andme, right?

The price is the cheapest for a 30x coverage WGS currently. I'm still waiting for my results. they called me a month after I returned the sample back to them and told me they were unable to collect DNA, so they sent me another kit and i resubmitted another sample back in march. hoping I get the results soon. 

#11 venusshek

• 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

afaik only 23andMe doing health-related tests.

#12 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

J. Craig Venter's company, Human Longevity Inc. does whole genome testing; among other things.
http://www.humanlongevity.com/

#13 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

Currently only available to business partners of Human Longevity Inc.

So what is the current best route for us health pro-actives, 23andMe and then promethease for 5 bucks?

#14 resting

• Life Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

My 30x WGS (7006 Whole genome, sequencing underway)  is with Fullgenomes.com at the moment. I have done  23andme +promethease  & BritainDNA.

#15 Cube

• 32 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:33 AM

Any verdict on this one? I see 23 and me have a deal atm 2 tests $49 each usually $99 for the basic test I'm guessing you don't need the $199 one with the health report if your going to use promethease anyway? Or is 23 and me health report better? I have searched the website i don't think they test more for the 199 just a fuller description, would this be correct?

#16 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

If you want greater value go with 23 and Me because it allows you to link to their APIs for further analysis from foundmyfitness.com and it allows you to share and compare with friends and family who've also gone through 23 and Me. It's worth spending the extra money I think. Plus you can get the raw data and run it through promethease.

Edited by Nate-2004, 10 November 2017 - 02:05 PM.

#17 Cube

• 32 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:19 AM

Cheers Nate! Yeh i think I'll go with them just wondering if i should do their $199 or $99 they have 2 options. If i get the same raw data with both and they have a deal on $49 instead of 99 so I'd be able to do one for me and the misses for $98 instead of $398. I was just wondering if if you get heaps of extra info on the $199 test. I'll email them and find out.

#18 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:01 AM

i want to give these dna sites the permission to use my data, maybe they'll find something useful. How do I opt in? I have data from doing testing both on 23andme and ancestry. what sites can you upload the data to which they will use for scientific purposes? Are most sites by default you're already agreeing to it?

Edited by kurdishfella, 18 July 2020 - 01:07 AM.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2022 - 10:06 PM

both ancestry and 23andme helped me so much they know what they are doing

i did some others and they were a waste of money.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dna, 23andme, promethease, familytreedna, ancestry, autosomal, snps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users