• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does the thyroid determine mitochondrial function or vice versa (or something else)?

hypothyroidism mitochondria

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kierkegaardian

• 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:50 AM

I'm trying to get a handle on what appears to be hypothyroidism in my own case given symptoms but so far had negative reactions (increasing fatigue and brain fog, not hyperthyroid symptoms) to T3, NDT, hit a ceiling with T4 (only tolerating 50 mcg with minimal improvement before feeling worse), and have tried all the "big" cofactors for thyroid health, including iron supplementation, hydrocortisone, selenium, and have just started iodine (still need time for the latter).  

What I need help understanding is whether the buck stops with the thyroid, in that the thyroid determines mitochondrial function, or if mitochondrial function is more fundamental than the thyroid?  I'm still learning when it comes to this.  Is it possible, e.g., for the thyroid to "burn out" mitochondria if you try to increase it through hormone replacement?

Thanks.

Edited by Kierkegaardian, 30 September 2016 - 03:51 AM.

#2 Kierkegaardian

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:10 AM

IOW, can mitochondrial dysfunction manifest as hypothyroidism, even when "classic" markers for hypothyroidism (in my case outer eyebrow thinning, myxedema in upper arms, low basal body temperature) are present?

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Bloomfield

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:19 PM

Most likely not Hypothyroidism unless you feel the gland swelling around your neck. This is called a goiter and is present in patients with Hyper and Hypothyroidism. The Thyroid has a role in the regulation of the Mitochondria, especially concerning ATP synthesis, however these mechanisms are poorly understood. Correct me if i'm wrong but when you say T3 and T4, are you supplementing yourself with these hormones? I haven't heard of anyone doing this, however I would not do that. The hormones are involved in too many Biological processes, and the Pseudohypothyroidism symptoms you are having may be caused by down-regulation of these receptors due to supplementation. Hormones in general are much too powerful to supplement, they can easily go in and out of cells and directly affect gene expression. I apologize in advance if my assumptions were wrong.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hypothyroidism, mitochondria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users