• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is MSM bad during methionine restriction?

methionone restriction

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Qowpel

• 355 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

I ask this as I have been practicing methionine restriction for roughly 8 months now and have never once fallen off the wagon. I am quite comitted to lessenong the impact of aging. However, even though my methiononw intake os roughly .6 grams per day which is pretty low, I tend to take high doses of MSM for my joints.

I fear that taking my normal.daily doseage of roughly 1 to 5 grams is going to sabatage my efforts of methionone restriction since MSM contains sulfur amino acids. Can somebody please let me know if I should drop the MSM, and also, if so, if my efforts of .6 grams methionone per day have been completely canceled out by my intake of MSM?

I cannot quite find a definitive answer to this question

#2 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:34 AM

Qowpel asked me this in a message, but I think my answer should be available to the search feature.

The methionine + cysteine requirement is 15 mg/kg, or a little over 1.05 g for a 70 kg adult. The median intake of both is 2.64 g (in NHANES III), or 250% of the requirement. Those who seek to reduce methionine intake are more likely to achieve methionine moderation (my intake is still around 130% of the requirement) rather than restriction.

There are two relevant pharmacokinetic studies, which found that either 1% (in guinea pigs) or zero (in rats) of 35S in radiolabeled MSM became incorporated in body proteins. Mammals lack means to making this conversion, but its hypothesized that gut microbes metabolise unabsorbed MSM to cysteine and/or methionine. With typical therapeutic doses of 1-6 g MSM, even the 1% incorporation rate seen in guinea pigs would have a marginal effect on methionine intake.

Richmond, 1986. Incorporation of methylsulfonylmethane sulfur into guinea pig serum proteinsLife Sciences39(3), pp.263-268.

Magnuson et al, 2007. Pharmacokinetics and distribution of [35S] methylsulfonylmethane following oral administration to ratsJournal of agricultural and food chemistry55(3), pp.1033-1038.

Edited by Darryl, 02 October 2016 - 07:09 AM.

• WellResearched x 1

#3 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

..my methiononw intake os roughly .6 grams per day which is pretty low

Me too, find that dangerously low. See the following post for requirements even higher than the RDA:

https://selfhacked.c...ne-restriction/

Therefore a person weighing 70 Kg, independent of age or sex, requires the consumption of around 1.1 g of methionine/cysteine per day.

... There is a consensus, however, that in diseases and following trauma these values may be 2 or 3 times higher.

#4 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

The methionine + cysteine requirement is 15 mg/kg, or a little over 1.05 g for a 70 kg adult. The median intake of both is 2.64 g (in NHANES III), or 250% of the requirement. Those who seek to reduce methionine intake are more likely to achieve methionine moderation (my intake is still around 130% of the requirement) rather than restriction.

The required intake is 1.05g for each methionine and cysteine?  or for both combined?

The median intake of 2.64g for each methionine and cystein or for both comibned?

#5 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

The required intake is 1.05g for each methionine and cysteine?  or for both combined?

The median intake of 2.64g for each methionine and cystein or for both comibned?

Both combined.

When I cron-o-metered myself (vegetarian) got about 1.2 g methionine and 0.8 g cysteine.

#6 Qowpel

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

Hi there pamojja. Well the reason I keep my methionine so low is to reap the life extension benefits of said restriction. I have seen other users saying they keep theirs below .8, or .7. So I chose .6 as a max

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users