• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Recovery from Wellbutrin (brain fog and worse)

wellbutrin brain fog memory

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cat@

• 48 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

I first went on Zoloft followed by Wellbutrin. I'm now off both but my lack of recall is painful (embarrassing even).

When I did a search I found many others in my same situation so I was wondering which would nootropics work to restore my memory back to what it was before. I'd prefer improved on what it was previously, but I'll take what I can get.

I was never a brain but I could remember conversations 20+ years ago complete with where people were standing when talking and the clothes they were wearing. Now I draw a blank when people bring up the past. Wonderful for my husband I'm sure but it's frustrating for me because it's impacting my daily living (my recall of words in English even has become dreadful).

#2 cat@

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:39 AM

I've read that Phosphatidyl serine "helps ageing brain, re-growth of braincells, helps with sleep" and I'm looking for others like it. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

Since no one else has any ideas, have you read this?
http://bebrainfit.co...-and-solutions/
This was the top of google search.

Edited by jack black, 21 October 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#4 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:09 PM

no one else has any ideas

All you have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with terrible resolve.  The suggestions made in the article are good.  But they don't address anything specifically related to bupropion, a nicotinic antagonist, which may weaken connections between cholinergic neurons and compromise the integrity of pathways.  Phosphatidylcholine would be more prudent, and so many unsuspecting things inhibit acetylcholinerase, blueberries and ginkgo to name a few.  Also not really mentioned in that article, things that boost neurotrophins, or regulate antioxidant systems (e.g. SOD, GSH, MDA; Nrf2).  Sertraline is generally okay, but there's also potential for a few lingering deficits on the serotonin pathways.

#5 cat@

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:36 PM

Since no one else has any ideas, have you read this?
http://bebrainfit.co...-and-solutions/
This was the top of google search.

Thanks Jack but most doesn't apply to me. I don't eat sugar (except in 85% chocolate), I believe in fat in the diet (unless I'm on a fast), I'm low carb (except for good veg), I cook everything from scratch (pretty much no canned goods), I don't use MSG or fake sweeteners except for xylitol, and as I live in the tropics I drink plenty of water. But I could eat more green veg...

#6 cat@

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:50 PM

no one else has any ideas

Phosphatidylcholine would be more prudent, and so many unsuspecting things inhibit acetylcholinerase, blueberries and ginkgo to name a few.  Also not really mentioned in that article, things that boost neurotrophins, or regulate antioxidant systems (e.g. SOD, GSH, MDA; Nrf2).  Sertraline is generally okay, but there's also potential for a few lingering deficits on the serotonin pathways.

Thanks gamesguru, I do have Alpha GPC... and others. Centrophenoxine?

Note: I started NSI-189 three days ago along with Mr Happy Stack and a few others (I'm getting back into nootropics slowly). I'm using language study to gauge how I'm getting along. 

#7 cat@

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:59 PM

I've also read that CoQ10 is beneficial (helps cell growth and maintenance).

But as I do not have a background in science I can't tell just by looking at ingredients, etc.

#8 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:48 AM

Why are you only researching for cell growth? Sertraline itself promotes neurogenesis and cell growth!

your problem is due to down-regulated Serotonin receptors.

I also got brain fog after taking Zoloft (Sertraline) for months, I also don't think your problem arise from Bupropion.

it takes long time to get better and only thing that helped was aerobic exercise.

#9 cat@

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:39 AM

Why are you only researching for cell growth?

I'm not just researching cell growth - my aim is to find something (nootropics, whatever) to help improve my memory. 

I already have a decent diet - no sugar (xylitol or honey or nothing at all), 85-95% chocolate, no fast food (most food is homemade from scratch - no packages), no soft drinks, plenty of water, low carb / high(ish) fat diet... and seems I've pretty much sorted my insomnia. 

I also don't think your problem arise from Bupropion.

What do you believe the problem is? 

#10 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

Why are you only researching for cell growth?

I'm not just researching cell growth - my aim is to find something (nootropics, whatever) to help improve my memory. 

I already have a decent diet - no sugar (xylitol or honey or nothing at all), 85-95% chocolate, no fast food (most food is homemade from scratch - no packages), no soft drinks, plenty of water, low carb / high(ish) fat diet... and seems I've pretty much sorted my insomnia. 

I also don't think your problem arise from Bupropion.

What do you believe the problem is? 

Already told you, Zoloft (Sertraline) is a SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake inhibitor) which means it inhibits Serotonin reuptake from synapses, thus mimicking the increased level of Serotonin and increases the time of Receptor Activation. as a result those certain Receptors (5HT) gradually start to down-regulate (decreased in quantity or other mechanism of desensitization). This weakens memory consolidation, may cause fatigue or sleepiness and etc.

what you should do is patience. after some long time, your receptors start to upregulate and become sensitive again.

you can speed things up with aerobic exercise (not treadmill though!)

Edited by psychejunkie, 22 October 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#11 cat@

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

"Already told you" ... I was hoping you'd use English this time. Kidding.

"aerobic exercise (not treadmill though!)" Just my lucky day - I do use a treadmill. I'll dig out the 'ole Jane Fonda (that should do it). 

Thank you for taking the time. 

#12 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

spinosin, of Ziziphi spinosae, and bilobalide, of Ginkgo biloba, are natural 5-ht1a antagonists.  shilajit and ginseng lower serotonin, with ginseng also blocking exercise-induced increases of serotonin.  you can notice a big difference between ginseng and bacopa (a pro-serotonin supp), which it won't hurt you to toss in a bit of bacopa here and there.  according to area-1255, yohimbe is also promising 5-ht antagonist.

the ginseng and ginkgo are already a great start on the cholinergic front, in case that serotonin would not explain all your persisting deficits.

#13 cat@

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:38 PM

Thanks gamesguru. I do take Bacopa Ginko, right before bed. But as I've only recently started taking nootropics again it'll be awhile before I'll notice any difference. And I do have Ginko Billoba (seemed like a good idea at one time). 

I went searching to see if I could catch up on the terminology used here. Googling 'upregulating downregulation' was quite the eyeopener (although not everyone agrees).

http://survivinganti...downregulation/

http://www.longecity...ase-help/page-2

#14 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:05 PM

i would take the ginkgo before breakfast.  indian snakeroot is another that lowers serotonin.  but ginseng or shilajit is more recommend

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 cat@

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

Again, thank you for your advice. You are introducing quite a few that are new to me. During an anal moment (perhaps a polite way of saying 'OCD') this month I created a spreadsheet of nootropics on hand to be able to locate what/where or even if, more easily. I have managed to amass a fair collection (antidepressants didn't stop me from looking and clicking the order button) but Indian snakeroot, spinosin, shilajit and yohimbe are all unknowns. I am familiar with ginseng but I'm fresh out (sold locally so no problem). Again, thanks. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wellbutrin, brain fog, memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users