Photo

A Significant Association Between Periodontal Bacteria and Mortality Rates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:45 AM

It is fairly settled that periodontal disease, inflammation of the gums, increases the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, among other conditions. Chronic inflammation drives faster progression of all of the common age-related diseases, and gum disease is a potent source of inflammation. To pick one example from the many supporting research results, you might look to a recent study that demonstrated reduced markers of chronic inflammation achieved through nothing more than better dental hygiene. People better equipped to remove dental plaque on a daily basis exhibited reduced inflammation as a result, and that reduced inflammation will translate to a modestly lower risk and severity of a range of age-related conditions. If you dig further in the Fight Aging! archives, you'll find all sorts of unpleasant correlations involving gum disease, such as with the amyloid deposits associated with Alzheimer's disease, and with cognitive decline in general. Thus taking greater care of your teeth and gums is just a really good idea on many fronts.

An open access paper I noticed today adds more evidence to the existing body of work on this topic. Without looking at inflammation in any depth, the researchers found that specific forms of bacteria found in the mouth are associated with an elevated risk of death. Dental plaque and gum disease of course originates in the unwanted activities of bacteria resident in the mouth, but there are many different species involved. As pointed out by the researchers, it is the interactions between these species that seem as important as the presence of one or another: specific combinations appear to produce the worst outcomes, not just one type of bacteria. This is interesting research when considered in the broader context, as there is considerable enthusiasm in the dental research community in finding ways to get rid of specific bacterial species from the mouth, such as those that cause cavities, or those that build plaque and inflame the gums. This is a challenging task, unfortunately: removing bacteria from the mouth is one thing, but doing so selectively and then keeping the unwanted species from quickly returning is quite another. This is a technological capability yet to be developed into a useful and reliable form, but the benefits of achieving this goal will clearly extend far beyond the health of teeth.

Associations between Periodontal Microbiota and Death Rates

Mucosal surfaces, including the oral mucosa, are colonized by a complex and dynamic microbial ecosystem called "microbiota" that has important implications for human health and disease. While more epidemiological evidence is warranted, periodontal microbiota has been identified as a causative agent of periodontitis, which is one of the most prevalent diseases in human population. Interestingly, some animal and human observational evidence supports that periodontitis is not just an oral, in situ disease. The disease also contributes to several systemic diseases including diabetes and cardiovascular diseases (CVD). The chronic inflammatory processes of periodontitis are considered to be responsible for the etiologies. In the oral cavity, the inflammatory and immunologic reactions following periodontitis induce the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines resulting in the breakdown of periodontal epithelium and connective tissues. Systematically, the chronic trickling of periodontal microbiota into the bloodstream elicits a systemic inflammation response resulting in elevated levels of various inflammatory mediators and cross-reactive systemic antibodies, which promote risk for many systemic diseases. Importantly, it has been shown that the increased periodontitis-related all-cause and CVD mortalities are comparable with, but independent of, diabetes-related mortality.

It is believed that complex interactions between specific periodontal pathogens and different bacterial combinations are more relevant to periodontitis than are individual species. We therefore hypothesize that a similar phenomenon exists in the association between periodontal microbiota and mortality rates. To test our hypothesis, we related 21 serum immunoglobulins G (IgGs) against periodontal bacteria to the rates of all-cause, diabetes-related, and hypertension-related mortalities in a death cohort from a representative sample of the US population, the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). In this study, we found that two baseline serum IgG patterns, Factor 1 and Factor 2, were significantly associated with higher all-cause and/or diabetes-related mortality rates among people without history of diabetes, CVD, and cancers. While only Factor 2 was related to all-cause mortality, both Factor 1 and Factor 2 were related to diabetes-related mortality. To our best knowledge, this is the first data showing that specific oral microbiota may have an impact on the rate of death in humans.

Serum IgGs reflected human systemic response to the corresponding periodontal bacteria and studies have shown that individual periodontal bacterial quantities were significantly correlated with corresponding serum antibody levels. Therefore, the serum IgG levels can be considered as host-related phenotypes of periodontal microbiota. Our analysis showed that, although the two mortality-related IgG patterns that we characterized featured several bacteria, which were also featured in periodontitis-related complexes, they were in different combinations. It seemed that different bacterial combinations have different impacts on human health. Interestingly, our findings coincide with the hypothesis of Porphyromonas gingivali (PG) as a keystone pathogen. It is conceived that the mere presence of a keystone pathogen, even at very low colonization levels, can modulate host response in ways that alter the amount and composition of subgingival microbiota, thereby triggering adverse effects on human health. It has been demonstrated in a periodontal model that the introduction of PG, even at low numbers, in cooperation with other dysbiotic bacteria led to a marked acceleration in pathological alveolar bone loss, but PG alone failed to induce periodontitis. Importantly, our findings from Factor 1 and Factor 2 also, respectively, suggested that active periodontitis may increase diabetes-related death rate, and that, even without clinically significant periodontitis, the presence of PG at very low colonization levels increase total and diabetes-related death rate. It seemed that the elimination of PG is crucial in reducing risk for both periodontitis and mortality.

Our findings collaborated with previous observations that periodontitis, a result of polymicrobial infection, increased the risk for several major diseases, such as diabetes, CVD, cancers, and mortalities as well. The etiologies may involve several pathological consequences leading to uncontrolled inflammation, such as elevated levels of systemic proinflammatory cytokines, oxidative stress, formation of advanced glycation end products, disturbed microbe-host nutrition and metabolism interaction, etc. These mechanisms may be responsible not only for the initiation but also for the promotion and progression of the diseases as well, and thus lead to higher death rates. However, it has been shown that periodontal microbial interactions are complex and that numerous genes related to motility, metabolism, and virulence in one bacterium are differentially regulated in the presence of others. The detailed mechanisms relating specific combinations of periodontal bacteria to specific diseases or death rates warrant further study. The information would be valuable in developing personalized therapeutic and prevention strategies.

View the full article at FightAging

#2 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:27 AM

Quoting Reason:  "It is fairly settled that periodontal disease, inflammation of the gums, increases the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, among other conditions."

It is known that periodontal disease is associated with an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease, but it is not known whether periodontal disease causes cardiovascular disease.

There may be a third factor that causes both periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease.

Indeed, I have an idea what this third factor might be:

After I caught a respiratory virus (most likely coxsackievirus B4, by my viral blood tests) which triggered a number of health problems in me, I noticed that I suddenly developed receding gums (periodontal disease). Prior to catching that virus, my gums had always been pink and healthy.

As this coxsackievirus spread to friends and family, it also caused several of these people to developed sudden onset periodontal disease (quite a few people commented that their gums suddenly went downhill).

I am not sure exactly of the mechanism by which coxsackievirus B could cause periodontitis, but my guess is that it may involve the connective tissue-destroying enzyme MMP-9, which has been shown to be elevated in coxsackievirus B infections.

Note that in chronic infections, coxsackievirus B is hard to detect, and usually it is only the plaque reduction neutralization blood test (no connection to dental plaque) that is sensitive enough to reveal these chronic infections.

In addition to the sudden onset of receding gums after catching this virus, myself and the family and friends who caught the virus from me also found there was a sudden increase in brown plaque deposition on the teeth. I had little or no plaque on my teeth before catching the virus, but after catching it more plaque suddenly appeared, especially on the areas of my teeth newly exposed by the receding gum line. You can see a picture of my gums and the brown plaque on my website here: https://chronicsoret...t.wordpress.com . Fortunately my gums have stabilized, and have not receded much further.

Plaque is a bacterial biofilm, so this sudden increase in brown plaque perhaps suggests that this chronic viral infection caused some immune suppression/modulation that allowed existing bacteria in my mouth to become more active. And perhaps these bacteria also played a role in the gum recession.

However, I am guessing that enzymes such as MMP-9 might also be involved in causing the receding gums, mainly on the basis that my virus also caused some interesting skin changes in myself and most other people who caught it. These skin changes were a sudden onset of crêpe paper-like fine wrinkles, looking very similar to the wrinkles found in the skin disease mid-dermal elastolysis, a disease associated with high levels of the enzyme elastase, and/or high levels of the enzyme MMP-9.

So that’s where I got my hunch that MMP-9 might be involved (that and the fact that MMP-9 and other MMPs are known to be increased in some coxsackievirus B infections — see here for example: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20035743 ). You can see pictures of the skin wrinkles caused by my virus on this page of my website: https://chronicsoret...skin-wrinkling/

Edited by Hip, 24 October 2016 - 06:28 AM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users