• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Infinite Lifespan Puzzlement

infinite extreme lifespan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Clifford Greenblatt

• 355 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:40 AM

Here is a puzzlement about an infinite lifespan. Suppose my lifespan is infinite. Why do I happen to find myself in the first 100 years of my existence when a day 50 million years from now is equally a part of my future as tomorrow? In 50 million years, I could ask, “Why do I happen to find myself in the first 100 million years of my existence when a day 100 trillion years from now is equally part of my future as tomorrow?”

#2 Clifford Greenblatt

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:09 AM

The problem with the reply feature blockage has been sorted. Replies to this topic are now enabled.

#3 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:20 AM

A question you would have to ask yourself in 100 years. Or 100 million years.

You're basically making some sort of a milder "death gives meaning to life" argument. I'm pretty sure that has received counter arguments many times over at this point.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:16 AM

Suppose your lifespan is finite. What is the meaning if you die a bit earlier or a bit later?

Why do you happen to find yourself in the last 100 years of your existence when a day 50 years from your start is equally a part of your future as tomorrow? Shoot yourself in the head right today!

#5 Diocletian

• 46 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

Why do you need ending to find meaning of life, if you live long enough I am sure you will find many meanings of your life and death isn't one for sure.

#6 Clifford Greenblatt

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

There seems to be much confusion about the point of my question. It is not about an ending giving life meaning, but about probability. I was asking why an immortal person today would happen to be in an extremely low probability time window of existence.

#7 Diocletian

• 46 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

Look at this topic Math of immortality it seems interesting and maybe relevant.

EDIT: I see you've already written there.

Edited by Diocletian, 28 October 2016 - 02:22 PM.

#8 Diocletian

• 46 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:27 PM

Math of immortality by Aubrey, but he don't like to talk about this stuff nowadays, now he is mostly about biology and aging.

Edited by Diocletian, 28 October 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#9 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

... It is not about ... life meaning, but about probability. I was asking why an immortal person today would happen to be in an extremely low probability time window of existence.

I am not sure if this is what you are asking for, but maybe you mean the human life expectancy. It is the average time a human is expected to live.

As general the life expectancy is increasing with the time, and is different for each country.

https://en.wikipedia...n_1950-2050.png

Now lets imagine, that you are born in the period of 1970-1975 of that graphic and we will be watching the average line (the blue one). In this case, you are expected to live to your 59 years. But things develope, such as medical sciences become better, and people start to live longer as general, and in 1980 you are now expected to live to your 61 years. E.g. for 5 years of time period you have gain the chance of living 2 years more. Now we are 2016 and you are now expected to reach your 70th birthday. E.g., the longer you live, the longer you are being expected to live, thanks to the achievements of the human brain. That are the good news. The bad news are, that this time for your life gain is too slow for you in order to be immortal. from 1975 to 2016 your life expectancy has grown from 59 to 70, e.g. for 41 years it has gain you 70-59=11 years more time.

In order to be immortal, you need to gain 1 year of life expectancy for 1 astronomical year. And this is the minimum for you to be immortal. This is why you have "low probability time window"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users